[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

Re: [WolfenDoom] Blade of Agony (Teasing chapter 2 | page 12

Post by Tormentor667 »

Something great is coming... #boachapter2
RockstarRaccoon

Re: [WolfenDoom] Blade of Agony (teasing chapter 2 | page 12

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

*resists urge to show a screenshot of something crazy*
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Sieg hell, now they're up to grind our gears.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Good spot, but that was only the public purpose of the GLF. Secretly, something totally different happened ;)
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Who wants to be a test subject?
RockstarRaccoon

I've been there....
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Escape one of the most terrific Gestapo prisons of the Reich at the beginning of Chapter 2, just where you left off. With this escape, new game mechaniques are introduced - stay out of the light! #boachapter2
Tormentor667

Re: [Blade of Agony] Chapter 2 release date announced | p128

Post by Tormentor667 »

The adventure continues - Chapter 2 release date announced
After another half-year since the release of the first chapter of WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 1: The Staff of Kings, we are proud to announce the date you have all been waiting for.

WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 2: Shadows of the Reich will be released on May 20th, which also marks the 17th anniversary of Realm667.

And with this announcement, there will also be a few improvements that come with Shadows of the Reich, including a near-complete overhaul of The Staff of Kings (replaying that is a "must"), new models, new and reworked textures, and improved game mechanics. Shadows of the Reich continues from the point The Staff of Kings left off, with you in a Gestapo prison in eastern Europe. You will encounter new enemies, new weapons and new locations through 8 different missions -- even 2 more as a reward if you are attentive enough.

There is one thing that is new in Shadows of the Reich that we are most proud of - something that has taken an unimaginable amount of effort, dedication and work: High-resolution sprites for all enemies and NPCs throughout the mod -- not only upscaled, but highly detailed artwork similar to the Wolfenstein 3D Mac version - something that hasn't been seen in a comparable project yet. Check out the new screenshots in our media page for a proof of concept, and stay tuned for more information soon.

More information, new screenshots and content can be found at the official webpage at http://boa.realm667.com
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

W00t! Looking forward to it!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Tormentor667 wrote:With this escape, new game mechaniques are introduced - stay out of the light! #boachapter2
:shock: Some actual working stealth-like mechanics in Doom?

Please tell me that, as well as being easily spotted when you are in the light, you can hide from alerted enemies by being in the dark and wait for them to stop searching for you. That would be amazing. :ninja:
Tormentor667 wrote:WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 2: Shadows of the Reich will be released on May 20th, which also marks the 17th anniversary of Realm667.
So soon? Amazing!
Tormentor667 wrote:There is one thing that is new in Shadows of the Reich that we are most proud of - something that has taken an unimaginable amount of effort, dedication and work: High-resolution sprites for all enemies and NPCs throughout the mod -- not only upscaled, but highly detailed artwork similar to the Wolfenstein 3D Mac version - something that hasn't been seen in a comparable project yet. Check out the new screenshots in our media page for a proof of concept, and stay tuned for more information soon.
That's amazing. Ever since I saw screenshots of the Mac version back in the 90s and some of Laz Rojas' hi res sprites for his various Mac Wolf mods, I've been hoping to see full and proper hi-res sprites, with full rotations, for the PC. I'll be honest, the very low-res Wolf-style sprites in the original BOA release were the only weak point IMO. However, I thought that the amount of work required to address that would be prohibitive. This is really amazing news.

BTW, I don't know if you picked up my comment on the other thread about the swastika being back to front on the cog wheel flag/banner. I do suggest that you change that, if you haven't already, simply because I believe that Hitler was particularly fussy about the appearance of the Nazi swastika. I understand that he specified its angle, proportions and colours quite precisely. He even specified that flags should have a panel sewn in on both sides so that no matter which side you looked at the flag from, the swastika should be the correct way around. Once you know that, reversed swastikas stick out like a sore thumb.
RockstarRaccoon

Enjay wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote:With this escape, new game mechaniques are introduced - stay out of the light! #boachapter2
:shock: Some actual working stealth-like mechanics in Doom?
It's pretty cool when you're playing it. This thing's full of technically impressive things that are worked in as mechanics...
Please tell me that, as well as being easily spotted when you are in the light, you can hide from alerted enemies by being in the dark and wait for them to stop searching for you. That would be amazing. :ninja:
Eh heh heh...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Eh heh heh...

Still on stealth stuff, it would also be nice if the Tommy* aspect of Doom AI was cured too. i.e. a lot of the time they are completely oblivious to the deaths around them. Specifically, if you kill one bad guy, the other bad guy standing right next to him, possibly even looking right at him, apparently doesn't notice if the sound of your attack doesn't wake him up (e.g. if his ambush flag is set and he hasn't "seen" you yet).

*Tommy, in this case not slang for a British soldier but the rock opera album and film by the band 'The Who' featuring a "deaf dumb and blind kid" (who "sure plays a mean pinball").
Spoiler:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:Still on stealth stuff, it would also be nice if the Tommy* aspect of Doom AI was cured too. i.e. a lot of the time they are completely oblivious to the deaths around them. Specifically, if you kill one bad guy, the other bad guy standing right next to him, possibly even looking right at him, apparently doesn't notice if the sound of your attack doesn't wake him up (e.g. if his ambush flag is set and he hasn't "seen" you yet).
Stabbing a soldier from behind wakes nearby soliders ;)

Concerning the stealth mechanics: Sector brightness, point light brightness, movement speed, shooting noise, visibility direction - all these factors are part of the system and are responsible if the enemy can see the player or not. If you get spotted, enemies alert. You can flee and hide for a while to get them into normal state again, just as in Metal Gear Solid
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This all sounds amazing. You've really pulled out the stops for this one. It's not merely a second chapter by the sound of it but a full and proper game upgrade of the kind you'd expect with the release of a second game in a series. And it's all been done in a relatively short space of time too. Impressive, most impressive.

Now, I wonder, has that weird-looking water dispenser sprite been replaced with a model yet (and, indeed, other low-res sprite props that move around with the player's viewpoint and thereby clash against the models used for other, similar items) :?:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”