[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ninlhil

Re: [Blade of Agony] Tank Battlefield Screens! | p161

Post by Ninlhil »

Many thanks Ozy. Worked perfectly. Apologies for Necromancing a problem, I just couldn't find a solution.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Solid_Beard wrote:Hey, I recently replaying BOA and I ecounter a bug in the game. While I was killing an Engineer with the shovel in Operation Paris (Not sure if this happens in the other levels that include engineer's) the game crashes. Is this happen to everybody ?
That was an old problem with Chaper 2 gzdoom version (if I remember correctly), so try playing with most recent build of GZDoom (official one is better, but didn't try with C2 release), but don't expect your saves being compatible though.
Ninlhil wrote:Many thanks Ozy. Worked perfectly. Apologies for Necromancing a problem, I just couldn't find a solution.
No worries man, this thread is here even for these reasons. You are welcome :wink:
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just noticed that the skybox in C3M3 is not showing properly in recent builds.
Checking out the setup it is actually a mapping bug that just got hidden by some processing quirk in the engine and some change I made removed that quirk so now the skybox looks broken.
This sector has sky ceiling and floor and untextured walls. Those untextured walls do NOT automatically get substituted by sky. This only works if the skybox is drawn into the empty background and there is no guarantee that this happens.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

It's better to use Line_Horizon for walls which are intended to show the sky. I've noticed this is pretty common in R667 maps - it seems like they do mapping with "gl_no_skyclear" set to false, which gives the illusion that this mapping trick works when it really doesn't.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Graf Zahl wrote:I just noticed that the skybox in C3M3 is not showing properly in recent builds.
Checking out the setup it is actually a mapping bug that just got hidden by some processing quirk in the engine and some change I made removed that quirk so now the skybox looks broken.
This sector has sky ceiling and floor and untextured walls. Those untextured walls do NOT automatically get substituted by sky. This only works if the skybox is drawn into the empty background and there is no guarantee that this happens.
While I didn't do such map (which is now C3M3_A and #_B splitted), I have noticed that these tricks have been used on several projects, if I recall correctly.
So where this effect exactly looks broken? I know there is a script that moves the skybox camera to follow the player, in order to give the illusion to have the sky always "centered" on its original position due to line portals, which instead we could see lightbeams and smoke "going far away" from where they should be when we change the sector.
Rachael wrote:It's better to use Line_Horizon for walls which are intended to show the sky. I've noticed this is pretty common in R667 maps - it seems like they do mapping with "gl_no_skyclear" set to false, which gives the illusion that this mapping trick works when it really doesn't.
The gl_no_skyclear option has always been set to "false" in any builds of GZDoom on my end, so what should we do now? Do I have to assume that the cvar has been changed recently to "true"? I am saying this because I have never touched that cvar, which also means that my GZDoom builds always had such cvar set as false. What am I missing there now?
Here you are screenshots showing up what you have stated btw: https://imgur.com/a/0R37UpP
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

gl_no_skyclear should be "true", I believe it is the default when starting GZDoom from scratch.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

Rachael wrote:gl_no_skyclear should be "true", I believe it is the default when starting GZDoom from scratch.
I've never touched that CVar and it's false for me too.

Edit: And looking in the source code, uh...

Code: Select all

CVAR(Bool, gl_no_skyclear, false, CVAR_ARCHIVE|CVAR_GLOBALCONFIG)
:|
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

My bad, then. Somehow, mine has always been "true" - so I don't know what happened here.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

gl_no_skyclear is mainly a debug option.
The problem with this bug is that with this set to false it doesn't work by design, but as a side effect of how the engine implements rendering of the first skybox without a stencil. There's absolutely no guarantee that this will remain so in the future. Maybe some hardware comes along where this cannot be done and the stencil is needed. I don't know if this is possible but it should be clear that you should not rely on such undefined behavior. Marking the outer lines of a pure sky sector with Line_Horizon is fine. Since both floor and ceiling are sky, there will be no costly overhead. It would be different if the floor was a regular flat. (especially on this map...)

BTW, in Sapphire the same problem could be observed in at least one place.

If you want to make sure that there's no lingering bugs with incompletely set up portals, set it to true, because that will skip the cheap path that may hide mapping bugs.
Obviously this is set to false for best performance by default.

I noticed the bug because due to a programming error the cheap path was never triggered at all.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Thank you kindly everybody, we consider this addressed and will point out mappers about what to do :3:
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

GGGManlives just released a new Mod Corner, focusing on this mod:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very good review :)
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Cool mod, but you can't kill the dogs having sex in the Hundehutte in Operation: Exodus, unlike all other dogs in the game.

I rate it a 5/10 for that reason.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thats reasonable
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Finally we are back on track. Check the first screenshots of the military base before Castle Wolfenstein

Entrance to the bunkers from where you will be able to enter Castle Wolfenstein

Castle Wolfenstein in the background is not only a canvas, it's sectors

The crashed airship in the snowy forest

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”