Page 1 of 8

[WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn - Now on GitHub

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:29 pm
by Ozymandias81
Image

After posting continuosly patches for Batman Doom through this thread, I've decided to make a totally pk3'ed version of ACE Team's Batman Doom (yep, everything you need is here), bringing new life to this wonderful PWad for Doom2.

My aim is to completely revive Batman Doom with modern implementations like special effects, lights effects, new sounds, new musics, new weapons, new HUD, new graphics, new foes etc. etc.
The story and its background will never change, that's for sure, but maybe a titlemap, an intermap and an endmap will appear inside the project in future.
For now I'm just trying to fix all the glitches encountered playing old BD with ZDoom/GZDoom, expecially DEHACKED and DECORATE warnings and, also, some modified good screens from Batman: Arkham City, in order to give more appeal to the entire project.

Once this PWad will be released you'll have everything "DoomBuilder ready", all maps in "GZDoom in Doom Format" with 3d compatible Legacy floors etc., tons of various effects like Gore, more versatile resources (I will change ALL inheritances & doomednums until DEHACKED become useless :lol:), all actors GL friendly and much, much more.

HERE YOU ARE SOME NICE FOOTAGE THROUGH REBORN MAPS:
Maps 1-2-3


Some screenshots showing lights, properly scaled actors, map fixes, special effects and much more:
Spoiler:


Credits:
Spoiler:


Download Links:
Ozymandias81's Batman Doom: Reborn (v0.4.6)
Ozymandias81's Reborn additional stuff (v0.3)
ACE Team's Original Batman Doom (NOT NEEDED FOR REBORN!)

If you want to play Reborn with all my new stuff, simply run GZDoom in this way (** stays for latest released version; config is not essentially needed):
Code: Select allExpand view
gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file BDReborn-v**.pk3 -file BDOzyAdd-v**.pk3 -config [yourconfignamehere].ini


Changelog:
Spoiler:


TODO List (sometimes this voice will not be properly updated):
Spoiler:


WARNING: IN ORDER TO PLAY BATMAN DOOM: REBORN YOU NEED THE LATEST GZDOOM + DOOM II

...and if anybody of you is interested on some more stuff of mine or just contributions, here you are links:

GORE
Torm667 BLADE OF AGONY
Coincident MINISPHERE
Elektronika (Ozymandias81) Impulse Tracker Modules
Custom Monsters
Resources

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:24 pm
by Ed the Bat
I am genuinely interested in seeing how this develops.

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:23 pm
by Mav3rick
Hey new project? lol hand will be very busy :P

Now about this new version of batman there are few things that maybe will be good to rework :D
Well since the batarang is a silent weapon, will be good take away the alert enemies from it when is used ;)
Getting some batman sound and replace all the doomguy sounds ;) we dont wanna to reveal his secret identity
Even new pick ups and power ups will be good too :)

All looking good and keep the good work :D

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:33 am
by CeeJay
Only nitpick I'd have would be that the new pictures, as nice as they are, don't match the art style of the in-game sprites and graphics. Going from a B/W moody style (a la Tim Burton/Nolan) to the campy and cartoony style of the original conversion.

I would love to see a more dark interpretation of BATMAN Doom and I was somehow hoping this would be it.

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:27 am
by Ozymandias81
CeeJay wrote:Only nitpick I'd have would be that the new pictures, as nice as they are, don't match the art style of the in-game sprites and graphics. Going from a B/W moody style (a la Tim Burton/Nolan) to the campy and cartoony style of the original conversion.

I would love to see a more dark interpretation of BATMAN Doom and I was somehow hoping this would be it.


You gave me and interesting idea: converting all graphics like Sin City style or Satanic Doom mod. Many thankx for your considerations... are you an artist and want to join this project with me? I'm not an artist and I'm not sure if my skill with GIMP or Fireworks will be sufficient for the effort. For now I think I'll use some dark gray palettes, focusing colors only on gibs & blood...

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:30 am
by Ozymandias81
Mav3rick wrote:Hey new project? lol hand will be very busy :P

Now about this new version of batman there are few things that maybe will be good to rework :D
Well since the batarang is a silent weapon, will be good take away the alert enemies from it when is used ;)
Getting some batman sound and replace all the doomguy sounds ;) we dont wanna to reveal his secret identity
Even new pick ups and power ups will be good too :)

All looking good and keep the good work :D

Always useful your observations, I'll see what I can do for purposes. Thankx and if you wanna be part of this project you're welcomed, like an artist or playtester. :rock:

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 pm
by CeeJay
Ozymandias81 wrote:You gave me and interesting idea: converting all graphics like Sin City style or Satanic Doom mod. Many thankx for your considerations... are you an artist and want to join this project with me? I'm not an artist and I'm not sure if my skill with GIMP or Fireworks will be sufficient for the effort. For now I think I'll use some dark gray palettes, focusing colors only on gibs & blood...


Alas no, I am not an artist and probably lack the patience for such things. One step towards that direction, however, would probably be to color the blue colors of Batmans suit to black along with all the weapon sprites.

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:16 am
by Tormentor667
CeeJay wrote:would probably be to color the blue colors of Batmans suit to black along with all the weapon sprites.

Very good idea indeed, should be easily doable with a translation

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:32 am
by Ozymandias81
Tormentor667 wrote:
CeeJay wrote:would probably be to color the blue colors of Batmans suit to black along with all the weapon sprites.

Very good idea indeed, should be easily doable with a translation


So I think changing palettes could be the worst thing I can do... I was thinking about translations IMHO, I look now for this immediately and submit v0.2... Any suggestions for new sounds? I've just included new songs (from Batman Televion Series of 1966 :-) ) with the imminent submission. Another idea is to add graphical onomatopoeias when fighting barely with fists (also must add some kicks then - no, this will be not like Demonsteele definitely)... :lol:

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:33 pm
by Ozymandias81
Oh my, for some strange reasons, Player & HUD Weapons frames can't be translated... WTF! I think has something to do with inheritances, but my head has blown up for now. I'm planning to recolor sprites for myself with Slade & direct translations, but if anybody can lend me an hand, here you are Player decorate codes:
Spoiler:


BTW, I've submitted the version 0.2... enjoy!

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:23 pm
by YukiHerz
I suspect it's because players can set a custom color, you should recolor them via slade's color remap instead.

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:00 am
by Tormentor667
Ozymandias81 wrote:Another idea is to add graphical onomatopoeias when fighting barely with fists (also must add some kicks then - no, this will be not like Demonsteele definitely)... :lol:

Fine as long as the gameplay balance isn't touched.

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:32 pm
by Tormentor667
2 suggestions which simply aren't in the spirit of the original mod:
- replacing the titlepic / interpic
- replacing the titlemusic / intermusic
I think editing the original TITLEPIC might be fine and adding your credits but the hires b/w drawing is out of place in terms of style. Same goes to the music. It feels more like something "for the sake of it" instead of leaving what we have.

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:44 pm
by Tormentor667
Some more issues I found:
- The melee chinese enemies with the two blades on their elbows are still much slower than the original version causing absolutely no treat.
- The problem with the rocket launcher replacement (the grey bombs) isn't solved as well, you still have 960 ammo and that's by far too much and makes the game too easy.

Re: [WIP] Batman Doom: Reborn for GZDoom by Ozymandias81 v0.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:49 pm
by Ozymandias81
Tormentor667 wrote:Some more issues I found:
- The melee chinese enemies with the two blades on their elbows are still much slower than the original version causing absolutely no treat.
- The problem with the rocket launcher replacement (the grey bombs) isn't solved as well, you still have 960 ammo and that's by far too much and makes the game too easy.


Chinese foes will be fixed in a short time, I forgot to fix them and I agree with you that they're dangerous like a small pack of 10 ants at your feet :lol:.

For Batman SmokeBombs, I've changed only DEHACKED inheritances without making a brand new properly ammo (now smokebomb weapon uses Doom2 RocketAmmo, which is also inherited by CheungSpawner, so must make new ammo with different DoomEdNum than 2010, then replace them into maps). But if I use IDFA/IDKFA or "give RocketAmmo/RocketBox", I didn't get MORE THAN 100 AMMOS instead of 960 you're saying.
Here's some screenshots:
Spoiler:

Can't do anymore at the moment. :roll:

PS: For titlepic/interpic/titlemusic/intermusic I'll see what to do, maybe I will add an external pk3 for them.