Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls 2 [Halloween Demo is OUT!]

Postby Doomguy914 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Making your own box art for your fan-made doom total conversion. Now that's dedication! :D Keep up the amazing work!
Doomguy914

Postby Batandy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:00 am

Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby Captain J » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:14 am

It's High caco...
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Batandy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:54 am

I'm having so much fun with this map, and i hope it'll be as fun to play! It's a great way to test the silhouettes, every monster and item (not including variants which are exceptions like the Baron Of Hell) should be recognizable by just looking at its silhouette.
https://www.facebook.com/goldensouls2/p ... =3&theater
Batandy

Postby Batandy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:11 am

I'm really sorry for the lack of updates in the last months, i've been working hard on MAP24 and then Breath Of The Wild finally released, you can guess how that ended. Anyway i'm finally working on MAP25, the first Ice themed map, here's a shot of the asset test!
Batandy

Postby Captain J » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:53 am

Oooh, Worth the waiting! Even though today isn't winter, but still i love to see this!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 am

Simply beautiful!
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Ozymandias81 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 am

WOW! And the sky looks Van Gogh-eish for some reasons!
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Batandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 am

Thank you for all the kind words! :D

If you get hit by an ice attack, you'll be unable to run! Luckily the effect only lasts 2 seconds but in crowded areas it can be particularly dangerous since it's harder to dodge enemy attacks! Cold water also gives you this malus while draining your health, so avoid going for a swim in winter levels!

https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59276E65
Batandy

Postby BoJustBo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:33 am

Ok so I'm a bit late to the party but now I'm finally gonna play those two demos and I'll write my thoughts as I go. I did like the first one a lot but there was also a lot of things I didn't like about it. Like why have reloading weapons in a game inspired by two arcadey games that dont have such things, and needing to go up for air when you're diving. I don't expect these to be changed ofcourse, especially the reloading part.
Jumping seems more mario-ish in this one. Graphics look nice etc etc.
But is it just me or are all guns slightly weaker than in vanilla doom? Especially the supershotgun. A double blast with it can't kill even a pinkie.
Also I am kinda dissmayed it's still filled with insta-death stuff like pitfalls and cannons. Insta-death is never a good thing and especially not when it's on levels without autosaves. (What I'm saying is, either implement autosaves as you aproach a platforming section that can insta-kill you. Or do like zelda and have you teleport back to the beginning of the area and lose a little bit of health.)
What I noticed in the first demo is that the health pickups are really sparce in the first two levels but then they are about as plenty as in vanilla doom stuff on the third level. I personally hope the third level is more indicative of the end feel of the game in that regard.
In the halloween demo, the first thing I noticed is fire shooting ghosts underwater =P I guess it makes as much sense as marios fire powers underwater.
I notice some enemies got less health or the weapons got buffed, I approve. I also spotted a checkpoint flag (I think). Now thats what you should have before insta-death stuff.
You could really use some text prompts telling you what switches do. Or change the camera angle to what is being manipulated... and hey, Im now playing level 3 and you did just that with the different camera angle. :3

Everything done and I can say that with perhaps the exception of the ghostship which was just something completely different it feels like you've improved gameplay with every level shown so far.

Edit: Oh yeah and I forgot to say, the forest level was so dark I had to raise my gamma, something I very rarely do, but some enemies were just straight up invisible like those shyguy type enemies.
BoJustBo

Postby Batandy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:57 am

BoJustBo wrote:Ok so I'm a bit late to the party but now I'm finally gonna play those two demos and I'll write my thoughts as I go.

Thanks for playing, regarding reload and swimming, as you've probably seen,in GS2 you can swim endlessly in the water without having to worry about the water supply, in the first one i wanted it to be more like SM64, though if i had to redo it now, i'd probably add air bubbles and a visible meter, i was quite inexperienced back then. Reload is a personal choice of mine, i just like it, adds more complexity to the gameplay, as i usually say, this isn't just a mix of mario inspired stuff and doom, i want it to be its own thing at the same time.
Regarding the damage, i'm pretty sure the shotgun's about as lethal as the original, have you tried using the altfire which makes you shoot with both barrels at once? A weapon that has recently been buffed alot is the Starshooter, which is much stronger than the demo 1 version.
Yes checkpoint flags are now in, every level will have 2 flags placed at the start and end of the midsection of the level, instadeath stuff has been a major topic, but i've always been pretty confident that people will not be frustrated by the bottomless pits, lava etc, i think i found the right balance compared to the first title, which was intended to be more like a jumpmaze thing, you'll rarely see small platforms that are very hard to jump on (with some exceptions, and usually i offer a reward for the challenge, see MAP03 where you have to jump over 4 small wooden platforms in order to get the big coin).
Yes i started doing the camera thing for the switches recently, since it's already been 2 years that i started working on this project, i think you can see some kind of "progression" regarding my mapping skills and the stuff i add in order to make the game more enjoyable, that means that when i'm done with the main levels, i'll have to go back to the first ones and maybe tweak some stuff in order to improve them and bring them to the current standard.
The ghost ship is meant to be like that, small and claustrophobic, you'll see that every level has the same formula but there's always a twist in the gameplay.
It's weird that you couldn't see the enemies in the forest level, it's totally not meant to be as dark as a ghoul forest level for example, are you sure your gamma (ingame and/or monitor) is set correctly?
Batandy

Postby BoJustBo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Batandy wrote:It's weird that you couldn't see the enemies in the forest level, it's totally not meant to be as dark as a ghoul forest level for example, are you sure your gamma (ingame and/or monitor) is set correctly?

I usually play doom in gzdoom with gamma set to 1.0. Maybe that's too low but I feel that's the only thing that recreated the pitch black darkness of the original doom engine.
BoJustBo

Postby Batandy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:47 am

BoJustBo wrote:
Batandy wrote:It's weird that you couldn't see the enemies in the forest level, it's totally not meant to be as dark as a ghoul forest level for example, are you sure your gamma (ingame and/or monitor) is set correctly?

I usually play doom in gzdoom with gamma set to 1.0. Maybe that's too low but I feel that's the only thing that recreated the pitch black darkness of the original doom engine.

I can't remember if 1.0 is the standard value, but if it isn't, for a proper experience you should set it stock, incorrect gamma is like modified dynamic lights radiuses, there will be unexpected results since the mod wasn't made with those settings in mind
Batandy

Postby Batandy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:18 am

I'm glad to announce that Doom: The Golden Souls 2 will make its debut on Nintendo Switch! Experience the exciting shooter platformer hybrid gameplay of the franchise anytime, anywhere!
The Switch version will be released along with the already announced PC version. Expect another announcement really soon for the release date!
Batandy

Postby Captain J » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:30 am

This is neat and amazing! Now is that mean now we can play the doom mod on Nintendo Switch, Yes?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects