Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
siealex

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.3

Post by siealex »

In the very first map the cavity with the second big coin has a glitch. If you enter it and collect the coin, you are teleported back. But if you enter it once more, you are stuck there.
siealex

Post by siealex »

In the very first map the cavity with the second big coin has a glitch.
But... in Lilac Landscape the similar cavity has an explicit teleport pad and works properly.
siealex

Post by siealex »

Shrine of the Abyss: several coins are completely unreachable.

Moonlight Morass: two coins near the exit are in the poisonous water under the bridge instead of above the bridge.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

siealex wrote:Shrine of the Abyss: several coins are completely unreachable.
Please be more specific, otherwise it's gonna be hard for me to track those coins
siealex

Post by siealex »

Please be more specific, otherwise it's gonna be hard for me to track those coins
I'll try next time, they are scattered across the whole map.

Rimy Residence: two coins (marked with white thing symbols) in the left cave area are under the floor.
1225.jpg
siealex

Post by siealex »

Overgrown Brambles. One of the wasps in the middle section is out of bounds (above the ceiling), it constantly buzzes at me but can't be killed.
PS, type IDMUS23 in Overgrown Brambles, it's cool :-D
siealex

Post by siealex »

Is there any difference between difficulty levels 3 and 4? I can't see any...
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

siealex wrote:Is there any difference between difficulty levels 3 and 4? I can't see any...
1.2 Enemy damage factor
TaporGaming
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by TaporGaming »

Is that savegame progress yet?
might use savegame progress console?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

TaporGaming wrote:Is that savegame progress yet?
might use savegame progress console?
Sorry, i didn't quite understand, you can and should save with the save game / load game / quicksave features, but the mod also features checkpoints which save automatically.
TaporGaming

Post by TaporGaming »

Also if you use god mode in MAP29: Sweet Sugary Skies. getting out the trap area. the lines are softlock teleport me!. There is no way to get out this Trap area if even god mode
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

TaporGaming wrote:Also if you use god mode in MAP29: Sweet Sugary Skies. getting out the trap area. the lines are softlock teleport me!. There is no way to get out this Trap area if even god mode
That's not a issue, because you are not supposed to use god mode or any other cheat code in order to progress.
Still, just use noclip instead of godmode.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Time for my first review
I am still playing Golden Souls 2, halfway through now and I wanted to give a little review of what I have experienced so far - the good, the bad and the ugly.

Pros
In my eyes it perfectly continues where GS1 left off, reaching a totally new depth and giving a very good atmosphere, this special "retro" feeling that I have expected. The music, the sounds and the visuals are simply stunning, a perfect combination of Doom and Super Mario World if you ask me. The gameplay is interesting, progressive. I really love how each level has a unique theme, keeping it interesting from the very beginning without a moment where I think "Dude, this is boring". Kudos on that. A lot of effort has gone into this and you hit the nail on the head with these aspects.

Cons
And this is why I wanted to write the review while I am in the middle of my playthrough. Although the visuals aren't repeatative, the gameplay is, especially the way the maps are progressing themselves. The real let-down of the whole mapset is the "switch hunt". In every map you find switches that seem to open something, seem to reveal new areas, open doors but you absolutely have no clue where to look at. This might work on smaller maps in the first world but it's terribly frustrating with larger maps where your only chance to find the "open door" is to backtrack the whole map. A solution to that would be shorter ways to the open doors, or maybe some visual clues where to go next (cam texs dont help in most casess). Maybe you do something like a "Hansel & Gretel Path" with sprites where to go, Secret of the Whool did that very good with reaching the exits. Very good solution. Next to that collecting the normal coins don't seem to be something that helps you except gaining a higher score. Sure you can buy ammo and armor in the stores but it's not something like "Wow, it was worth collecting 2000 coins. Maybe you can come up with something more of a gift.

Other than that I will continue playing and give you some more info on what I've encountered as soon as I am done. Still, the cons are not only little flaws, for me these are really essential. This is what makes people decide if they continue or stop frustrated - or use cheats. Would be a shame if you ask me. :)
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Tormentor667 wrote:Time for my first review
I am still playing Golden Souls 2, halfway through now and I wanted to give a little review of what I have experienced so far - the good, the bad and the ugly.
Thanks for this feedback, well, you see, you have plenty of collectibles ingame that can give you special rewards (big coins / spider jewels), the purpose of the coins is entirely to buy stuff at the shops, which isn't just an extra, it is recommended to buy items although not necessary. If you stack up coins till you reach the 1999 coin limit they'll become 1 health bonuses, which is a really neat ability considering how they are everywhere are you can use them to tank through tough sections.

Which world are you currently playing? As you progress levels become more streamlined, that's because of how much time it took for me to make this, my mapping style sorta evolved through it. Aside from some of the earlier levels, world 4 and the ghost houses, the levels are mostly linear and when there's backtracking, it usually just requires the player to go back to a known locked area.
If you can give me some examples of sections which are not intuitive, i can go back and improve them.
TaporGaming

Post by TaporGaming »

You need a Comet Revenant and Comet Super Revenant?.
I knew Soaring Comet is more Extreme Difficulty like Ultra-Nightmare

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”