Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.1

Post by Gez »

There are a few sky holes that aren't instakill in Tower Rewot.

You can easily see them on the automap as the instakill sectors are surrounded by the teleport line color.

A few oddities of plant/fungus things floating in thin air in Damp Depths:
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

LOVING this mod!
2 questions:
1. What are other mods people would recommend adding to this one? (ie. i'm playing with the ketchup MOD for a little more violence)
2. I'm having a hard time setting the graphic options in gzdoom optimally for this game ( fonts either look blurry or over aliased); what are recommended openGL settings?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Gez wrote:There are a few sky holes that aren't instakill in Tower Rewot.

You can easily see them on the automap as the instakill sectors are surrounded by the teleport line color.

Both of those will be patched, thanks!
Skrell wrote:LOVING this mod!
2 questions:
1. What are other mods people would recommend adding to this one? (ie. i'm playing with the ketchup MOD for a little more violence)
2. I'm having a hard time setting the graphic options in gzdoom optimally for this game ( fonts either look blurry or over aliased); what are recommended openGL settings?
1) Only supported mods, ketchup might work fine but i believe it messes with the enemy coin drops? I'd recommend Pywheel which has official support for GS2.

2)you need to go in texture options under opengl settings and change the texture filtering to none, if you want sharp pixels. For some reason that ugly antialiasing filter is the default option in Gzdoom.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Batandy wrote:
Gez wrote:There are a few sky holes that aren't instakill in Tower Rewot.

Both of those will be patched, thanks!
Skrell wrote:LOVING this mod!
2 questions:
1) Only supported mods, ketchup might work fine but i believe it messes with the enemy coin drops? I'd recommend Pywheel which has official support for GS2.

2)you need to go in texture options under opengl settings and change the texture filtering to none, if you want sharp pixels. For some reason that ugly antialiasing filter is the default option in Gzdoom.
Which kind of filtering are you specifically referring to?
1. Texture Filter Mode
2. Anisotropic Filter
3. High Quality Resize Mode
4. Resize Textures
5. Resize Sprites
6. Resize Fonts
etc ...
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Update on the coin situation: I stocked up on potions during zone 7 and recovered it all fairly quickly (mainly due to the hundreds of coins in the blue palace).

I nearly ran out of shots during that zone (I'd also exhausted the supplies left behind in previous maps), but was soon up to reasonable levels again after the last two maps. (so I continue to avoid having to buy ammo or use the whip/energy gun/fiery fists)

Currently in zone 8, still hovering above 1800 coins despite a little more frequent trips back to the shop for health/armour.
siealex

Post by siealex »

Have you tried to jump on to the platform colored purple?
Yes, the bridge does not allow to jump there.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

For the custom music, what did you use to make it?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Update on the coin situation: I stocked up on potions during zone 7 and recovered it all fairly quickly (mainly due to the hundreds of coins in the blue palace).

I nearly ran out of shots during that zone (I'd also exhausted the supplies left behind in previous maps), but was soon up to reasonable levels again after the last two maps. (so I continue to avoid having to buy ammo or use the whip/energy gun/fiery fists)

Currently in zone 8, still hovering above 1800 coins despite a little more frequent trips back to the shop for health/armour.
Yeah that happened to me often. I couldn't waste all of my coins in the shop so i used long ranged weapons, with no ammo limitation like Energy pistol and a whip. And frankly, that's probably the effective way to handle the monsters when you have zero-shot situation. I mean, energy pistol is heftily powerful enough. Hard to snipe, but the recharging speed is quick and deals good damage when fully charged. But i guess some maps needs more amount coins, eh?

Also here's one tip; When you happen to kill monsters upclose, be quick and grab those dropped coins before they disappear! Also use pistol often, its ammo is very cheap and accurate.
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
siealex

Post by siealex »

Happy Gardens: is it exactly the first map from Golden Souls 1?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Well alright, I 100%'d version 1.0. There were a handful of instakill pits I kept falling into beyond the first world (Sunny Hills Simulation I must have fallen off of the back of the cliff like four times confronting that Spiny Elemental between the plateaus with the killer plant and the connection to the I-beams), but for the most part I was highly appreciative of the good number of levels that did not incorporate them as a feature. I didn't experience ammo problems like some other people have mentioned, there were points where I know ammo was tightened but I always had enough to do the job (and the backpack came real late, too). I hope you enjoyed spending four years on this, because I enjoyed playing through it.

Some fun tips to think about:
- If you have an overlay watch for the player pressing the fire button during the cowboy shotgun's reload state, and jump to the fire state as appropriate, it could be so much more responsive. Right now you have to wait for that magical check in order to be able to fire off a shot and defend yourself with it. (Also people have mentioned that, for the golden version, its reload state is never exited if you don't have enough shells to load it full.)
- The player shadow could be made super smooth by spawning only one and having it keep the player as a pointer to warp with interpolation to (at floor height, of course).
- This skull jewel in MAP42 is untouchable without the use of NOCLIP.
- The point you need to fly to in the second segment of Overgrown Brambles could be made a little more obvious, I think. Perhaps with coins? Or an indicator?

Also, I would like to know where the custom SPC D_STEAMG is from. I thought it might have been from one of the edutainment titles for the SNES (Mario is Missing or Mario's Time Machine), but it's from neither, and it's only tagged "Ghost House Super Mario World (ported by Wakana)". Is it a composition from SMWCentral?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Actually, i got this skull without typing NOCLIP. There's a small gap above it. But it's very, very small, it's barely possible to fit in and get the skull.
pagb666

Post by pagb666 »

The outdoors water texture in MAP45 totally tanks my FPS all the way down to 15-30. MSI Afterburner confirmed that the GPU usage goes nuts with it. I've tried changing/disabling every OpenGL setting with no success, putting resolution down helped, but just a bit. (It is a GTX980)
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

pagb666 wrote:The outdoors water texture in MAP45 totally tanks my FPS all the way down to 15-30. MSI Afterburner confirmed that the GPU usage goes nuts with it. I've tried changing/disabling every OpenGL setting with no success, putting resolution down helped, but just a bit. (It is a GTX980)
That's weird, i can run it just fine and i have a GTX 760. There is a small drop because of the open design of the map, but from my tests it's nothing major.
siealex

Post by siealex »

This skull jewel in MAP42 is untouchable without the use of NOCLIP.
Almost! I spent more than 30 seconds to get it...
The outdoors water texture in MAP45 totally tanks my FPS all the way down to 15-30
Not only the water texture, but (especially in some other maps) very large numbers of sprites, e. g. trees or grass.
siealex

Post by siealex »

MAP04 (Oriental Garden) has a very tough platforming sections, no ideas to simplify it? Such challenges are approproate for later maps (30..40), but not for MAP04.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”