Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
demo_the_man

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls 2

Post by demo_the_man »

heres an idea, you could implement a lives system, that alows contra style respawns, and after the player runs out of lives, the respawn at the level entrance
edit: Can i pick up enemy's and throw them at each-other, as my main method of attack :twisted:
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Doom: The Golden Souls is probably one of the most pleasant gaming experiences that I've ever had.

I have some ideas. I think you should make the start pistol automatic, similar to Duke Nukem 3D. Also, I think it would be cool to add armed koopas to make the guns flow better with the universe.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Does this mean the original Golden Souls is fully complete, now? Would you like me to repackage and optimize it into a proper .pk3 for you again, batandy?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Ed the Bat wrote:Does this mean the original Golden Souls is fully complete, now? Would you like me to repackage and optimize it into a proper .pk3 for you again, batandy?
Nah don't worry about that, i've learned how to do it, i'll pack it up myself after closing the map submissions
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Alright, great. Though I have a couple of requests to slip in while you're in there (applicable to both Golden Sould 1 and 2, possibly):
1) Can you remove the KEYCONF declaration of playerclass? It's already being declared properly in MAPINFO, so there's no need for it in KEYCONF; that just causes issues.
2) Can you remove NOAUTOAIM from the guns? Autoaim should really be up to the player; if you don't want to play with it, just turn it off in your options menu. That flag is really only for weapons that don't work right with autoaim, such as gravity-prone projectiles.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Ed the Bat wrote:Alright, great. Though I have a couple of requests to slip in while you're in there (applicable to both Golden Sould 1 and 2, possibly):
1) Can you remove the KEYCONF declaration of playerclass? It's already being declared properly in MAPINFO, so there's no need for it in KEYCONF; that just causes issues.
2) Can you remove NOAUTOAIM from the guns? Autoaim should really be up to the player; if you don't want to play with it, just turn it off in your options menu. That flag is really only for weapons that don't work right with autoaim, such as gravity-prone projectiles.
There's no playerclass declarated in the keyconf in GS2, sure i'll fix it when packing up GS1
About NOAUTOAIM i don't agree honestly, expecially with this sequel that has way more different level heights and such, i want the player to actually aim the thing he is shooting
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by GFD »

I'd urge you to reconsider, because the NOAUTOAIM flag can present a serious issue to players with disabilities.
If a player has a muscle or joint complication that limits their physical movements, having to move their mouse or joystick vertically in addition to horizontally might be too fatiguing for them to play. For players that can only use one hand for gaming, or otherwise have only one analogue input that they can use, they will need to have that input bound to forward/backward movement and turning horizontally, which means they need a centred view and full vertical autoaim to play your game.
The fact of the matter is, because your games have such varied height levels in the maps, that makes it even more important that you don't use NOAUTOAIM, as these players will have far more problems with large height variations. One of the strengths of the Doom engine is that accessibility features like custom control bindings and autoaim are so easy for you to implement that you rarely need to do anything at all to manage it. The less inputs that a player is required to manage, the more easily they can enjoy your game.
Control schemes and difficulty adjustments should always be decisions left to the players, and never controlled entirely by the game. If we don't do this, video games become a luxury that only fully able-bodied players can participate in, excluding millions of other potential players for no good reason.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

lives system
Please no.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i'd also think about lifting the NOAUTOAIM flag. i mean, i don't use autoaim anymore, but others might. there really isn't any downsides lifting it from the mod, and hell, autoaim is what has existed in Doom since ever. it makes no sense to remove it altogether.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

SamVision wrote:
lives system
Please no.
You might want to read what i said first, all i meant was coming back right where you died with 5 seconds of invinsiblity, and after 3 times that happens, you get dumped to the map start/overworld. A contra doom hybrid if you will.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

lives systems does not work with Doom, because there's a much better, much more efficient system in its place. it's called saving your bloody game.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:lives systems does not work with Doom, because there's a much better, much more efficient system in its place. it's called saving your bloody game.
Yeah that. Even id Software thought it was a stupid idea with Wolf 3D and excluded it from Doom. The lives system is a relic of an early era in video games where it was either a ploy to chomp more of your quarters or extend game-time due to high cost of a game and low space on a game-cartridge.
Doomguy 2000

Post by Doomguy 2000 »

I hope for the sequel there's no levels that eat up your save game.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I hope that too, the game would crash every time I saved for the fifth time on the second level.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Doomguy 2000 wrote:I hope for the sequel there's no levels that eat up your save game.
Carbine Dioxide wrote:I hope that too, the game would crash every time I saved for the fifth time on the second level.
A gzdoom dev build fixed that issue, so just make sure to update your version of gzdoom to the latest version of gzdoom and you'll not encounter it
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i'd also think about lifting the NOAUTOAIM flag. i mean, i don't use autoaim anymore, but others might. there really isn't any downsides lifting it from the mod, and hell, autoaim is what has existed in Doom since ever. it makes no sense to remove it altogether.
'Aight, making autoaim avaiable again

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”