Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Ashes 2063 TC - (Release Ep1 Pg 54) V1.05

Postby Echelon5 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:45 am

Man I must have played through this 10 times already on all the difficulties. It's just such a perfectly paced, immensely satisfying gaming experience. A superb and solid hour and change of pure, uncut gameplay. Best Doom TC ever? Trick question, the answer is yes, no contest. Can't wait for ep 2!
Echelon5

Postby RTheM » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:51 pm

On my fifth or so playthrough, noticed a thing and forgot to upload one more thing from a previous playthrough to the screenshot album.

#1 - https://i.imgur.com/ECxZcTY.png

When the building outside the police station in Highway Holocaust collapses to make it possible to jump over to the other side, it doesn't look like the building's sidewall-texture moves with the collapse, making it look weird. Probably a minor quibble though.

#2 - https://i.imgur.com/fTzmQV8.png

In The City, the secret next to the parking garage that you can reach via the billboard doesn't trigger when you walk into the room, only when you touch the sides of it. The map look show that the secret sector seems to be split into two or something.

---

Other than all that, kind of wish the final hotel section in Highway Holocaust was a bit more complex, maybe several more rooms and/or blocked/barred doors. It feels a bit too barren.
RTheM

Discord: RTheM#6868

Postby Vostyok » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll need to work on some more bugs :(

As for the final corridor in the Highway holocaust, I did consider adding a few more rooms to fight through, but I wanted the player to get to the end quickly as he/she had already been through quite a lot up to that point. I'll consider adding some more "off-track" places to explore for goodies or interesting discoveries.
Vostyok
Free Radical

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby RTheM » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:28 pm

By the way, before I forget. Definitely need Gasbag Zombies and such. That one explosive corpse in Sub-Caverns is such a tease, man. :P
RTheM

Discord: RTheM#6868

Postby TheRailgunner » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:55 am

So, I'm almost ready to upload the thing - at the moment, I've given the Revolver a 1-in-3 chance of dealing 15d3 damage instead of 10d3, giving it a somewhat greater chance of one-shotting a Vultur Thug, as well as increased the damage that the Ingram MAC-10 does since the Glock has both the semi-auto ROF advantage and much higher refire accuracy.

Also, any chance you've got a use for...this?

TheRailgunner
Don't let fascism win. Not in the US, or anywhere in the world.

Postby Vostyok » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:13 am

Sounds good guys.

I've got something in mind for gas bags...

I've done something similar with my build, upping the damage of .45 from 10-30 to 15-35. It makes a noticeable difference on the smaller enemies, you don't usually have to empty an entire cylinder on them. Makes a bigger difference in survival. The Glock problem is why I'm thinking of removing it from episode 2. Both pistols have similar roles and functions, but I'll be upping the .45's characteristics to make it more viable. Maybe the scavenger has just gotten better with it, story-wise. I'll leave them in the code however, so that your weapons mod won't be rendered unusable. Also, I'll make it compatible with Ep1, if you want to replay it with all of the improvements I'm putting in.

I've been working on a new sprite for the automatic rifle. That's a very nice sprite. But I'm not sure it would fit in the current loadout. Anything semi-automatic more powerful than the revolver would basically make it obselete. Unless it is automatic? You'll have to wait and see if you like the new look...
Vostyok
Free Radical

Postby Captain J » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:49 am

Why you would remove glock if you can add even more differences still? Like, Make .45 Revolver more powerful, no-semi-automatic, slow, and inaccurate. About glock, making it more opposite to .45 might be reasonable. And besides, we have to waste precious 9mm ammo by using effectinve-but-wasting MAC-10 if you remove glock from the game. IMAO, both are very important in case of sudden low ammo situation, especially happens on few early levels. You can swap either weapon to spare some ammo you want to keep until it's full.

Maybe i'm just too much of a gun-nut. Just listen to my advice and carry on!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Vostyok » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:20 am

Hmm. I will think about your comment. We can see how it works during playtest phase, but if it needs to go back in, it'll be no more than 5 minutes worth of decorate for me to fix. 8-)
Vostyok
Free Radical

Postby NantoCodd » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:22 am

Frankly, I love the Glock like Gordon Freeman loved his: it's a quick and versatile gun against most enemies in any situation and environment. The revolver... well... is a bit left behind since it's too weak and can't compensate with its low capacity and slow reload. When I see a revolver, I wish for something like Dirty Harry's or Fallout New Vegas' handcannon. Maybe you can increase the revolver's damage and accuracy to be always on point, while nerfing the Glock a bit by leaving the damage as is but make it spread increases if you shot it rapidly, so player more inclined to use revolver for distant enemies and use Glock for close quarter
NantoCodd

Postby Gzegzolka » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 am

I also like idea for keeping two guns as long as they have different functions. Having many guns with same functions are not fun :)
Revolver to be more powerful one, good for medium/long distance.
Second pistol for close encounters that would be less accurate.
It would be cool if those guns could be even more different with additional upgrades.
For example if one gun could receive speed-loader or extended magazine other one could have silencer.
You can go even more crazy with those upgrades like:
explosive rounds for alt-fire mode,
small flashlight that could be turn off/on by second fire button,
poison ammo that would turn mutants agressive towards each other,
some crazy revolver modification that would add electomagnetic engine and turn it into rail gun that shoots pricing ammo.
Each of that upgrade could be effective only if level design utilizes possibilities to use them, flashlight would be useless if most action took place in bright areas and railgun would be useless if there were no corridors to round enemies in lines :)
Gzegzolka

Postby Vostyok » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Okay so people like their Glocks.

I suppose I have a soft spot for the thing as well :oops: :roll:

Upgrades are something that I'd like to bring in as a single choice per weapon, that works to reduce a weapon's drawbacks slightly while adding new functionality. You could call the

(spoiler)
Spoiler:

a prototype for how I'd like mods to function. It's not going to be as complex as the Argent mod, but it will add a bit more variety as you go through the game, and settle towards choice equipment.

Unless I decide to take away all your ammo from a particular location. Then you'll just have to make do with your crowbar and your feet. Bwahahahahahhaahhahaha :twisted:

As an aside, I'm currently porting over a lot of stuff to a new PK3. It should be a lot more streamlined and bug free than the current build. Also redesigning a lot of sprites. I'll be releasing a mod friendly maps pack, monsters only pack and updated weapons pack as well (I haven't forgotten), but the focus now for me is gearing toward episode two. I might bring in a "redux" version of episode one as well, since all of my new improvements are actually feasible, but we'll have to wait and see.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I'll let you know when I move this project to a new thread.
Vostyok
Free Radical

Postby TheRailgunner » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:21 am

Vostyok wrote:Sounds good guys.

I've got something in mind for gas bags...

I've done something similar with my build, upping the damage of .45 from 10-30 to 15-35. It makes a noticeable difference on the smaller enemies, you don't usually have to empty an entire cylinder on them. Makes a bigger difference in survival. The Glock problem is why I'm thinking of removing it from episode 2. Both pistols have similar roles and functions, but I'll be upping the .45's characteristics to make it more viable. Maybe the scavenger has just gotten better with it, story-wise. I'll leave them in the code however, so that your weapons mod won't be rendered unusable. Also, I'll make it compatible with Ep1, if you want to replay it with all of the improvements I'm putting in.

I've been working on a new sprite for the automatic rifle. That's a very nice sprite. But I'm not sure it would fit in the current loadout. Anything semi-automatic more powerful than the revolver would basically make it obselete. Unless it is automatic? You'll have to wait and see if you like the new look...

I will have to see - in the meantime, it is worth noting that the weapon sprite posted is of the Nishimura Seven Battle Rifle ("battle rifle" being defined as a selective-fire rifle that fires a full-power rifle cartridge, such as the 7.62x51mm or the .303 British), although I should probably look for something more...contemporaneous, as the N7 would, in this scenario, be anachronistic, being formally issued in its shiny, brand-new form in the 2430's, about 370 years after Ashes 2063 - that said, it is itself a futuristic variant of the T31 Light Rifle (an experimental bullpup gas-trap M1 prototype designed by John Garand in 1946), related to a much more realistic weapon: the M14, which, with some field modifications, could possibly appear as the M14A5 Battle Rifle, providing a decent amount of time for such a weapon to accrue wear, tear, grime, and rust as necessary for wasteland survival.

Since the N7's sprites are derived from Sgt. Shivers' M14 set, I can start working with the original sprite bases and see where I land on Wasteland M14.
TheRailgunner
Don't let fascism win. Not in the US, or anywhere in the world.

Postby Echelon5 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:06 am

As for weapons I would absolutely love a crossbow, either some ramshackle thing made from junk and parts or some refurbished piece that our hero finds. I know we have the musket as a sniper weapon, but having the crossbow be silent would make thinning out enemy numbers before engaging really cool. Having different arrow types that use other weapon's ammo too. Incendiary bolts using the napalm cannon's stock, or timed explosives using the rare pipe bombs.
Echelon5

Postby Gzegzolka » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:15 am

Another crazy idea would be to turn shootgun into automated shootgun like in Wolfenstein the new order or add ability to shoot some kind of fire slugs that would fly in short range arc and got big chance to put enemies on fire. As for more classic approach there could be standard magazine extensions or some kind of longer barrel that would reduce spread but increase distance precision.
Gzegzolka

Postby murphy_slaw » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:48 pm

I've encountered a bug in Level 5, the Sub-Caverns.

When you're supposed to light the gas with the generator, my generator isn't running. It's silent and the switch does nothing.

Also, and this happened two times already, after a while of not playing, the game kills my saves. When trying to load, it tells me: "Game was saved with a different amount of ACS modules" or something similar.
This renders all saves unloadable, no matter when they were made.
Last edited by murphy_slaw on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murphy_slaw

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects