Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: Re: Ashes 2063 TC - Goodies and 1.15 update packs

Post by Vostyok »

Thank you for the reply. The situation with the subway was intentional, since it was to discourage people from clearing out the whole thing and ruining the mystery of the place. I admit though, it wasn't best thought out and it is not something I will be doing again. I will be designing maps in the future that allow full 100% completion as well as access of secret level(s).

As for the GZdoom update, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Thank you for pointing this out. I have absolutely NO idea what is going on here, it seemed to be a problem in the Dev version, as pointed out by TDG, but seems to have migrated to the next release. I will put a message in the downloads section for those who are unaware or yet to play. Rest assured I shall be getting to the bottom of this ass-hattery! :evil:
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

Vostyok wrote:I will put a message in the downloads section for those who are unaware or yet to play. Rest assured I shall be getting to the bottom of this ass-hattery! :evil:
Just wanted to point out that while you've put the recommendation for v3.5.1 in the download section, the 3.6.0 version works fine as well. I played through the whole TC using the v3.6.0, getting all the secrets and all the kills and encountered zero problems with it.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Ah ok. I hadn't tested that version yet. The last release I was using was 3.5.1, so I could not guarantee this would work. Still chasing the problem in 3.7.
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

I think I was not the only one who shot the fire extinguisher. I think it would be funny if he caused damage by cold jet.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

3.7.0/1 is seriously flawed, but some of the bugs have not been reported yet. The guy who's doing the Doom 2 Project Remap recently reported some serious texturing error in one of the Doom groups on Facebook but hasn't shown up here yet.

As for 3.6.0, I can say that it seems to work fine, without any noticeable problems.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Get Phobo wrote:The guy who's doing the Doom 2 Project Remap recently reported some serious texturing error in one of the Doom groups on Facebook but hasn't shown up here yet.
And as long as that remains the case, it's unlikely it will ever be fixed.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

I've already posted a report earlier about the morph player issue. But yeah, if nobody reports bugs in their mods, who can really complain?

Edit: yeah, SLON. I was thinking that too. Pretty sure I remember a movie where that happens to someone.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Of course. The unnamed Remap guy wanted to "raise a few things" anyway, so there's probably more than just the one particular texturing error he displayed in the group.
RTheM

Post by RTheM »

AL-97 wrote:Once you're through that hole, there's no way you can get back to a secret level exit.
Actually, you can have your cake and eat it. IF you're willing to take some damage and have enough Master Blaster (or however the fireball launcher is called) ammo. Rocket Jumping my friend. That's how I 100% this level and go to the secret level.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Hi Vostyok,

Thank you for this amazing game, I'm loving Ashes 2063 after first three levels. Both atmosphere and gameplay are phenomenal. I can't wait to play the rest but... I've encountered a severe bug in level 4, holocaust highway. Every time I leave town and this new level begins, I lose all my weapons with an exeption of the one which I was holding when I was talking to Smiley. So I get off motocycle and I'm left only with shotgun or other weapon and nothing else. When I alt-attack (knife attack) this attack freezes and I can't shoot anymore. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this bug. Other than that, this mod is flawless :)
Cherno

Re: Ashes 2063 TC - Goodies and 1.15 update packs

Post by Cherno »

I think this TC would be a perfect candidate for a Take No Prisoners campaign adaption :)
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Sagez wrote:Hi Vostyok,

Thank you for this amazing game, I'm loving Ashes 2063 after first three levels. Both atmosphere and gameplay are phenomenal. I can't wait to play the rest but... I've encountered a severe bug in level 4, holocaust highway. Every time I leave town and this new level begins, I lose all my weapons with an exeption of the one which I was holding when I was talking to Smiley. So I get off motocycle and I'm left only with shotgun or other weapon and nothing else. When I alt-attack (knife attack) this attack freezes and I can't shoot anymore. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this bug. Other than that, this mod is flawless :)
This is a bug with the newest Gzdoom (v 3.7.1). I believe it is in the process of being fixed by the developers (a slight mishandling of the original Morph player code, as well as my man-handling of the feature to use for my own purposes.
You should use the 3.6 version or previous until otherwise notified. Sorry about that. Let me know if you have trouble finding it, but it's in the "archive" section of the Gzdoom/Qzdoom/Zdoom site.
cherno wrote:I think this TC would be a perfect candidate for a Take No Prisoners campaign adaption :)
Haha that would be cool. You know, I did consider doing something like that, since the textures and items are all available if you know where to look. It would be a cool TC, laser sword, crossbow rats and exploding convicts, et al.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Sagez wrote:Hi Vostyok,

This is a bug with morphing in GZDoom 3.7.1 (I don't know if it was present in 3.7.0). It has been raised on the bugs thread. Use GZDoom 3.6.0 or wait for the next version that fixes this morph bug.
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Hi again - I apologize as it was indeed a bug related to GZDoom 3.7.1, not to this splendid TC! I'm currently playing through the last level and will write a review later :) Thanks for help!
Sagez

Post by Sagez »

Ok, here are my thoughts after finishing episode 1. This won't be a long review, because... there is hardly anything to criticise. Atmosphere, writing, gameplay, level design, weapons, music, secrets, enemies etc - everything works very fine in Ashes 2063. I only have some suggestions regarding various aspects of episode 1:

Solar lantern. I generally agree with people who say that it would be good if PC could wield lantern and crowbar at the same time (however crowbar damage could be reduced when the other hand holds lantern, because fighting while holding it would not be easier). Solar lantern is cool but... it seems almost useless to me. I used it only like 2-3 times during my playthrough (level 5 mostly). Just like other hazards, darkness is kinda under represented in my opinion. I have 2 ideas that may help. Maybe lantern could be used to discover secrets/items hidden in very dark areas? Like it would be almost obligatory to use it if PC want to find them at all. I don't know if you want to make a very dark&spooky level in ep 2 or 3, I would personally appreciate it a lot. Of course this isn't a horror game and not everyone would like it, but this level could be pretty easy to get through using ''main road'', while brave players could stray into the side, darker and totally optional corridors and discover all mysteries (lantern would be very useful then). Some enemies could also flee or be stunned by lantern's light.

Chem and rad hazards. It would be great if those could play a bigger role in next episodes, as I barely noticed them.

A sniper enemy would make gameplay less predictable. It would be awesome if such enemy would change his position after every shot. Also I'd like to see enemies throwing grenades at player if that's possible.

Bike would be more useful if some areas and secrets were accessible only by it.

Human settlements could play a bigger role (more sidequests, maybe option to come back). I would also welcome more RPG elements and more non-linearity in general.

Finally, as others said, more big and open spaces would also be good, more long range fighting and opportunites to snipe (or to die from sniper fire). Quick and jumping trash lurkers were far more dangerous than big and slow Cannibal Masters. It's hard for me to say which level is my favourite, but one of them this definitely 2 - Boneyard. It could be made even better by making more fences and rooftops accesible. As someone said, you can get the gold key from the rooftop (and it's great, sadly there isn't more to loot). Boneyard is (was?) a gang territory. If those punks would use the roofs, I really doubt they would get wiped out so easily. Roofs are great for defending and observing the whole place, it would make sense to have guards on them (tutorial has watchtowers). Humans trapped on roofs, mutants swarming below... (Van Buren had this nice idea of Denver, a city overrun by rabid dogs, where few human scavengers needed to stay above ground).

Thank you for this great game. I will definitely play episode 2 and everything else you may come up with! People like you are the reason why I'm so much into playing mods (but let's say that again: this is a game so good that many people would pay to play it). Take care, I'm also one of the people who registered here just to thank you.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”