Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Echelon5

Re: Ashes 2063 TC - (Release Ep1 Pg 54) Jetfire mod

Post by Echelon5 »

That rifle looks t a s t y.
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

Well, I have a few of ideas for weapons.
Probably already for the third episode.
The first is the AK (something that really will make sense in the post-apocalypse because of its high survivability). You can do him lower damage than the main assault rifle, but with higher accuracy - for example.
The second is an auto-loading shotgun, like the Browning Auto-5. What will allow to use it where quick "sweeping" at close range is required.
The third - magazine-feed sniper rifle, bolt or semi-auto action.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Yeah, I'll be keeping the arsenal mostly the same for the second episode. Expect a couple of new toys, but the upgrades will be where you get the most fun things to play with.

Keep the ideas coming though. No reason any follow-up stories couldn't include some new weapons entirely.

Right. I've already finished MAP01 of episode 2, so that's a good sign. I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but I feel pretty good about this now. I'm certainly a lot better at planning and building than I used to be. (lol map02 the boneyard had four/five different versions. still sounds ridiculous how much time I wasted back then). :roll:

Laters alligators.
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

I love this TC. While the game play element could use some more gore and special effects, everything else from the background graphics to the map layout is perfect. This reminds me a lot of Fist of the North Star (Hokuto no Ken) but without all the stupid over the top hyper-masculine drama. Its great that you are keeping the story simple and not overly dramatic. Perhaps you could add more surreal and creepy feeling to your game by incorporating elements from that anime.

Watch these scenes from the anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavIZQgVUBg&t=2517s

3:49 to 5:07

and

1:11:41 to 1:12:02
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Haha don't worry, I'm well aware of the big Fist! I was thinking of a fun easter egg/reference but couldn't fit it in ep1.

And don't worry, there is a major element of the story to be unveiled that will allow all sorts of... interesting things.

I have said enough. I am going to bed.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ahh, so i'm not the only one who suggested FoTNS as inspiration to Vos. :P Anyway that anime might be a big helper there!
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

I don't suppose there's room somewhere for a Browning Automatic Rifle, is there?
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Oooooo now a BAR would be really sweet. Most of the weapon slots are probably taken, though. Although this could be the weapon that the chaingunner bandits use or something. I don't know, just spitballing
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Great mod, really had a nice time (the mall, and underground levels are my favourites levels :)

However there are two issues I personally have, and suggest (they're matters or taste, and game-play, a few criticisms strewn throughout):
- The Shotguns feels a bit weak, and this collides too much with the Damage-ammo Availability ratio (aka too less shells for kinda weak guns), especially against the cannibals, and the annoying gecko-mutts. The DBS especially suffers, even though it's a secret weapon. Plus the Pump Action shotgun is inconsistent with it's reloading, one minute it's auto-reloading, next you have to reload manually.
- The Napalm Thrower thing could use a buff, extraordinarily weak (I mean Cannibals take like 2 shots? to take down? wut?)
- The Cannibal Lords (or whatever with the Napalm Thrower) piss me off, and are just giant sponges, to the point I'd rather ignore them (but sadly due to having a weapon that screws the player over versus the other way) I have to MDK the bastards (alternatively I suggest you could outright replace a few of them with a "mid level" cannibal enemy) alternatively giving them a weakness vs certain weapons (so the Sniper Rifle) would add a bit of tactical depth to the game, because otherwise, they're taking five shots (in 30 seconds) to take down, that's too much.
- Switch the Glock and Revolver over, make the Revolver stronger (and make the player feel like Dirty Harry) make the player start with the Glock.
- More better enemy variety would be nice, the Trash Lurkers are the only, cool unique enemy, Gasbags second (even if they're just Caco-Lost Souls) and the rest are just generic Doom enemies, suggestions I suggest are: Sniper enemy (maybe not, maybe give them a projectile? maybe replace hitscans with tracers?) the gecko-mutt could be turned into a rarer (with rewritten lore) enemy and have a proper "Doberman" dog (because why are all dogs mutated but only a few Humans?) that leaps at the player, and deals big damage. Dividing the main bandit enemies into more classes and "types" would work, I'd like to see a revolver enemy that drops revolvers and a pistol enemy that drops the glock.
- We need a slower, stronger Automatic weapon, something along the lines of what Railgunner, and Whoah have pointed out, personally I think an AK-47 would work neat, have a max of 90 ammo (rare) and of course a bandit using it to boot.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

XLightningStormL wrote:Great mod, really had a nice time (the mall, and underground levels are my favourites levels :)

However there are two issues I personally have, and suggest (they're matters or taste, and game-play, a few criticisms strewn throughout):
- The Shotguns feels a bit weak, and this collides too much with the Damage-ammo Availability ratio (aka too less shells for kinda weak guns), especially against the cannibals, and the annoying gecko-mutts. The DBS especially suffers, even though it's a secret weapon. Plus the Pump Action shotgun is inconsistent with it's reloading, one minute it's auto-reloading, next you have to reload manually.
- The Napalm Thrower thing could use a buff, extraordinarily weak (I mean Cannibals take like 2 shots? to take down? wut?)
- The Cannibal Lords (or whatever with the Napalm Thrower) piss me off, and are just giant sponges, to the point I'd rather ignore them (but sadly due to having a weapon that screws the player over versus the other way) I have to MDK the bastards (alternatively I suggest you could outright replace a few of them with a "mid level" cannibal enemy) alternatively giving them a weakness vs certain weapons (so the Sniper Rifle) would add a bit of tactical depth to the game, because otherwise, they're taking five shots (in 30 seconds) to take down, that's too much.
- Switch the Glock and Revolver over, make the Revolver stronger (and make the player feel like Dirty Harry) make the player start with the Glock.
- More better enemy variety would be nice, the Trash Lurkers are the only, cool unique enemy, Gasbags second (even if they're just Caco-Lost Souls) and the rest are just generic Doom enemies, suggestions I suggest are: Sniper enemy (maybe not, maybe give them a projectile? maybe replace hitscans with tracers?) the gecko-mutt could be turned into a rarer (with rewritten lore) enemy and have a proper "Doberman" dog (because why are all dogs mutated but only a few Humans?) that leaps at the player, and deals big damage. Dividing the main bandit enemies into more classes and "types" would work, I'd like to see a revolver enemy that drops revolvers and a pistol enemy that drops the glock.
- We need a slower, stronger Automatic weapon, something along the lines of what Railgunner, and Whoah have pointed out, personally I think an AK-47 would work neat, have a max of 90 ammo (rare) and of course a bandit using it to boot.
Pump-action shotgun is actually slightly more powerful than it's vanilla counterpart. You get less shells from dropped shotguns, but that's the only difference (and is part of the mod's design). And mutants have less health than pinkies, so I don't know why you'd think it was weak. Sawed off is slightly less powerful than super shotgun, but is still more damaging than pump-action, and since it fires single barrel that makes it more versatile. I'm redoing the code for autoload, but most guns should click empty if fire is held, then autoload when fire is released and then clicked again.
Napalm launcher will be getting a buff in the next version, although it's balanced by having a flamethrower option, which is pretty powerful.
Masters I was thinking of dropping health to 800 from 1000, i'll be testing this. They are meant to be bosses though, and you only meet five in the whole mod. There will be a mid-level cannibal in the next episode.
Glock is slightly more effective than revolver overall, and that is how it is meant to be. Revolver will be getting slightly more effective, but don't expect a magnum. I'm not a fan of these.
More enemy variety is something I'm working on. Generally, episode one is meant to keep capabilities similar. I'm going weirder for the next release. And I don't like random spawner enemies.
Assault rifle is still on it's way to episode two, as is a BFG type weapon that really does rekk shit. So, there will be stronger dps weapons coming.

Do you normally play with mods that increase damage? Trailblazer or guncaster perhaps? A lot of people consider the weapons in Ashes OP compared to vanilla.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Hi Vostyok,
I've played your TC through on the lower survival skill, and also tried hard skill, and have some suggestions, so people neither run into problems nor will get bored.

- Secret sectors: these shouldn't be places that don't make sense to be entered as anything you can get from there can be get just passing by that sector. The shotgun closet in map01 is one such example. When you enter the room with that closet, the closet isn't even closed, so it doesn't make much sense to be marked as secret in the first place. If you don't jump into the closet, you won't get a 100% secret score.
- Generally, I found the game too easy on survival skill. I think it should be made clear in the description that it is just a harder 'normal' skill, not a harder 'hard' skill, so players can make a more informed skill level choice.
- Any generic weapon you can find should also be in use by your enemies, unless it is a custom-made one that you've bought or stolen from someone, or some super-weapon that shouldn't be normally used at all but guarded. (I know, many games do not get that right.) Some sort of chaingunning punk would be cool (and challenging).
- The final boss could be a bit more of an interesting character. I'm thinking of some sort of 'honeypot' conversation, perhaps a monologue the final boss is holding since he should be surprised someone let him out after all these years...
- Since the game is so easy, it is difficult, if not impossible, to get a 100% score with items every time because you can only pick up so many stims and medikits. Perhaps you could change it so stims and medikits wouldn't count as items anymore or just walking over an item would mark it as found even if you could not pick it up?
Last edited by Get Phobo on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Procket12

Post by Procket12 »

How do you charge the solar lantern? I was guessing these little lights I find everywhere might be a source to charge from but I can't figure out how to trigger it.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Procket12 wrote:How do you charge the solar lantern? I was guessing these little lights I find everywhere might be a source to charge from but I can't figure out how to trigger it.
Gotta stand in the sunlight
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

It's based on local light level. Turn it off and stand in a brightly lit area (technical: any area with a light level of 180 or more - practical: open sky in daylight.)

It's a little broken due to an oversight on my part. I'm working on making it a bit more reliable.
Procket12

Post by Procket12 »

Vostyok wrote:It's based on local light level. Turn it off and stand in a brightly lit area (technical: any area with a light level of 180 or more - practical: open sky in daylight.)

It's a little broken due to an oversight on my part. I'm working on making it a bit more reliable.
Alrighty. You should also check the Motorcycle parts. Just touching the walls at a slow speed causes a lot of damage. The left and right movements are a bit jerky for minor turns as well. Everything else looks great.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”