Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: Ashes - Post-apocalypse TC

Post by jdredalert »

Vostyok wrote:.45 Automatic
A solid replacement for the standard Pistol, good accuracy and damage. Ammunition comes in magazines of 8 or boxes of around 16, but is not common or cheap.
That caught my eye. Is there gonna be some kind of trade npc, like a guns dealer or something? "Welcome, stranger!" comes to my mind... :P
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Hmm... I like what you've done with the flares. I might come up with something more fitting the setting though. How did you implement them? Are they an inventory item - Limited uses? How do you refill your supplies, and was it something that had to be added to the level (i.e. not replacing an existing item)?

The trader element is something that I've been thinking of as an exposition sequence; between maps, you'll meet a junk dealer who will evaluate your finds and point you to the next level. Eventually this will open up the plot for the next episode, but I'm not saying why and how...

Still considering whether to implement this as a cutscene (I was going to post some stills of possible dialogue scenes, if anyone is interested in my bizarre anime/pixel.art) or as a strife dialogue. Return to Castle Wolfenstein gave me an idea... some secrets might contain "scrap", such as interesting pre-apocalypse technology. This would translate to currency you could spend between jobs. Not all secrets would be junk so it would not replace the feeling of finding a soul sphere in some random puzzle, but it would give some more variety to the 'loot' you can find, as well as give a tactical element - more steel plates for your armor vest, a handful of decent shotgun shells, or a single grenade to start the next map with, based on how sharp-eyed you are.

Also, something terrifying, for which I blame you completely:
Spoiler:
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

good to see a good ol sawnoff shotgun will make an appearance, its not post apocalyptic without one!
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Well, the original flares were made by Scalliano, and they can be found at Realm667, but they act a little bit different from my version. I expanded the light radius and make it look like the player is actually throwing the flare instead of just dropping. Also, the original flares last forever, while mine just stays ignited for 15 seconds. You can toss them with the default ZDoom Use key, or define a custom key bind in order to use them. The download above also provides custom pickups, so you can refil your supplies. :)
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Awesome. I might have a look at that. I can add them to the darker levels as an alternative to night-vision goggles.

Working on the first map this week; an abandoned storefront with basement, adjoining flat and back-alley delivery area, leading into a destroyed office block and then back out into the streets. If time allows, it will be a demo showcase of the first two enemies (melee and shotgun cannibal) as well as the first three weapons (although, I will be including weapons 4 and 5 in the code, so people can IDKFA them and give me some feedback). I may add a secret room containing these in pickup form as well as the working version of the Trash Lurker, just as a taster.

If anyone has any feedback, feel free to post. I'll be working on this any free time I get, but I'll try and post WIP shots of some of the areas.

Ooh, quick edit. Just giving out a freebie; an heavily frankensprited Kalashnikov I was using as a placeholder. Didn't really fit with the setting - how many working AK47/74/M's are they in America??? So yeah, use it if you want.
Image Image
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

tbh a hell of a lot more than you think, but keywords are that its mostly civilian models of the gun
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

chronoteeth wrote:tbh a hell of a lot more than you think, but keywords are that its mostly civilian models of the gun
Ah, yes the semi-automatic version. To be fair, I have seen quite a few of those, and it's not uncommon for them to be converted. The Assault Rifle slot is intended to be a chaingun equivalent (i.e. 3-round burst or fully automatic) however, so compared to an Mp5 or the Ubiquitous M16, it would seem a bit out of place. It was also going to clash with the Battle Rifle-type weapon I was going to add for the second episode.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

I do have a weird request: your sprites have a weird feel to them. They're edits, yeah, but maybe its the origins of them or something else, but they stand out nicely. keep em consistent like that, they stand out nicely
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

I think the flares should be green. : D It seems to fit.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Is the 4th image on the OP an M79 reloading?
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

xenoxols wrote:Is the 4th image on the OP an M79 reloading?
Ha ha, good spot! Why yes, yes it is...

The Thumper will be familiar to many forum goers, I imagine. Perfect for large game.

I've decided to use the cut-down version, which has the stock and part of the barrel removed. As well as giving a sleek visual style, it somewhat acts as concession for a faster reload time, which would keep it balanced with the other weapons. When facing high HP enemies such as Barons or Caco's, a long reload meant that the M16 and even the sawed-off tended to outclass the grenades.

Below is the modern variant of the Vietnam modification:
Spoiler:
Interesting fact; the break open design means that the Thumper can use grenade types that are too large for the under-barrel launchers such as the M203. M576 buckshot, for instance.... care for a supersuper shotgun? (I admit that this last idea may be far too OP, and a little outside the scope of this mod..)
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Ashes - Post-apocalypse TC -WIP (Demo ASAP)

Post by xenoxols »

Thumper? Isn't that what call of duty calls it? Its called an M79, and it actual Vietnam war nickname was "blooper."
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

xenoxols wrote:Thumper? Isn't that what call of duty calls it? Its called an M79, and it actual Vietnam war nickname was "blooper."
It's the name most associated with the weapon, as well as "Bloop Tube" and "Wombat Gun" to the aussies. And Cod is far inferior to BF.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Hey, i liked that grenade launcher. Also, since you're doing all in your own, i can send you some flare variations i have here. That's the least i can do to help. What you say?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”