[WIP][updt:1/13/15]Einherjar - The Viking Mod [Hexen|Doom/2]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dshel

[WIP][updt:1/13/15]Einherjar - The Viking Mod [Hexen|Doom/2]

Post by dshel »

Download Version 0.5ahttp://www.mediafire.com/download/s7oc7 ... r_0.5a.wad NEW!
Pic above says it all: in einherjar, you play as one of Odhinn's otherworldly warriors in the fight against the weird and deformed Thursar who are tormenting the world at Ragnarok. As such....VIKINGS! Namely, a gameplay mod wherein one has access to weapons that would make sense if one were to step back into 1000 AD North Europe.

Mod is compatible with Zdoom (as in no GL required) and Zandronum(lolnope - see 0.4 - 0.5 changelog), and is designed to play well on Doom/Doom2 and Hexen.

Weapons
Spoiler:

Screens
Spoiler:
Changelog

Spoiler:

Bugs, Pitfalls, Caveats and other things
Spoiler:

Credits, Permissions and Thanks
Spoiler:
As always, have fun and tell me if I could do anything better!
Last edited by dshel on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Combine_Kegan

Re: [WIP]Einherjar - The Viking Mod [Hexen|Doom/2]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Hey glad to see you submitted this here, Viking bro. Keep up the good work, also I see you removed the fist's extreme pushback, have you tried adding projectileknockback to your fist's attack "projectile"?
dshel

Post by dshel »

Combine_Kegan wrote:Hey glad to see you submitted this here, Viking bro. Keep up the good work, also I see you removed the fist's extreme pushback, have you tried adding projectileknockback to your fist's attack "projectile"?
I was unaware of this and will have to look into it. losing the punch-thrust sucked. strictly speaking, though, the bow-punch isn't a projectile, but rather is an a_custompunch (that had a_radiusthrust in the prior version before I found out the not a missile flag or whatever was no-go in zandro)

restoring that and finding a method for replacing the old Axe's CPF_PULLIN in a zandro friendly manner are big on my mind...that and drawing a sprite for mjolnir that doesn't suck. drawing a hammer is harder than it should be.

edit: weapon.kickback looks like it should do IF it works in zandro.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

dshel wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:Hey glad to see you submitted this here, Viking bro. Keep up the good work, also I see you removed the fist's extreme pushback, have you tried adding projectileknockback to your fist's attack "projectile"?
I was unaware of this and will have to look into it. losing the punch-thrust sucked. strictly speaking, though, the bow-punch isn't a projectile, but rather is an a_custompunch (that had a_radiusthrust in the prior version before I found out the not a missile flag or whatever was no-go in zandro)

restoring that and finding a method for replacing the old Axe's CPF_PULLIN in a zandro friendly manner are big on my mind...that and drawing a sprite for mjolnir that doesn't suck. drawing a hammer is harder than it should be.

edit: weapon.kickback looks like it should do IF it works in zandro.
I personally prefer using invisible projectiles for melee attacks, it allows for more flexible options and doesn't force that agitating view pull effect, which makes hit and run attacks extremely jarring.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

This looks promising!
Secondary raises your shield (which grants invulnerability for a limited time)
Mind if I suggest something? There's a way to set up an actor so that it is always a specific position relative to a player, then make that actor shootable so it takes the hits instead of the player.

Here's a concept that I had for a sword and shield a while back that does that. Basically, your shield only covers a specific area in front of you, and instead of altfiring you can just turn yourself and point your shield at a threat, even in the middle of an attack [EDIT: if you have it set up that way anyway - apparently I was still in the old videogamey "give up your shield to attack" sort of thinking when I designed this], to defend yourself. Makes for a much more natural defence movement than binding a shield key.

EDIT: If I were to do it now I would use A_SpawnItemEx instead of A_FireCustomMissile and have the shield (heck, even the sword projectiles) inherit player momentum. The way it's set up now it's too easy to run ahead of your shield and get hurt that way.
dshel

Post by dshel »

Vaecrius wrote:This looks promising!
Secondary raises your shield (which grants invulnerability for a limited time)
Mind if I suggest something? There's a way to set up an actor so that it is always a specific position relative to a player, then make that actor shootable so it takes the hits instead of the player.

Here's a concept that I had for a sword and shield a while back that does that. Basically, your shield only covers a specific area in front of you, and instead of altfiring you can just turn yourself and point your shield at a threat, even in the middle of an attack [EDIT: if you have it set up that way anyway - apparently I was still in the old videogamey "give up your shield to attack" sort of thinking when I designed this], to defend yourself. Makes for a much more natural defence movement than binding a shield key.

EDIT: If I were to do it now I would use A_SpawnItemEx instead of A_FireCustomMissile and have the shield (heck, even the sword projectiles) inherit player momentum. The way it's set up now it's too easy to run ahead of your shield and get hurt that way.
>Makes for a much more natural defence movement than binding a shield key.

as someone who grew up with Ocarina of Time shield mechanics, and who plays oblivion and skyrim on occasion, a shield key feels like the /only/ natural way to get it to work. Your concept piece still gives me ideas, though, if I'm reading your code correctly. (I skimmed it, but basically, you're firing a bunch of rapidly-dying +SHOOTABLE shields at a specific angle, correct?)

This is highly useful, as, if you've noticed, the current way I've implemented the shield, there are a few HIGHLY exploitable bugs, such as:
Spoiler:
Having a shield actor that only blocks in one direction would prevent all of these. But I still feel that a bound shield key is the way to go for me...it feels like every shield-game I've ever played, save for maybe the first couple of Zeldas.

Unrelated, but the mechanics of your shield make me think of the original concept for the Cube that was supposed to follow "Quake" around in the original concepts for that game.
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

"take up your axe and you shied"
dshel

Post by dshel »

Raziel236 wrote:"take up your axe and you shied"
yes, I know.

edit: Additionally, I spelled "einherjar" incorrectly in the runes too. What is written is "einheriar". I should be using the jeran rune (ᛃ) rather than isaz.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Yes, it's just a rapid-fire projectile (and again it ought to be replaced by A_SpawnItemEx so it can inherit player momentum, though the dragging-shield-behind effect is sometimes neat too) and I did find it rather odd that holding the shield in front of you would block attacks from behind.

You can still do a shield key, though, which is actually provided for in my mod in part - hit Reload and you do a flat-faced shield bash, which temporarily puts the shield out further in front of you. [EDIT: though if you're looking for a precedent as to passive shield defences in videogames, Rune: Halls of Valhalla is definitely worth taking a look at - one of the weapons, the Viking broadsword, is/was very popular in part because your basic stance has the shield right in front of you, whereas other shields are left by your side unless you purposely bring them up, but even in that position you're surprisingly well-defended against many slashes that come at you from your left.]
Unrelated, but the mechanics of your shield make me think of the original concept for the Cube that was supposed to follow "Quake" around in the original concepts for that game.
I still want that game. :(

EDIT: Just a thought - if reload and zoom aren't doing anything for the axe now, why not use one of them for throw instead of binding a separate key?
dshel

Post by dshel »

Vaecrius wrote: Just a thought - if reload and zoom aren't doing anything for the axe now, why not use one of them for throw instead of binding a separate key?

Zandronum Compatibility. As a matter of fact, the axe throw originally /was/ bound to zoom (and you can see the vestiges of this in the fact that the axe throw code is under "zoom:" for skeggox's states).

I'm working on a new weapon, though, that may see me dropping zandro support again, so I may just say screw it and bind the axe throw back on to zoom.
dshel

Re: [WIP][updt:1/12/15]Einherjar - The Viking Mod [Hexen|Doo

Post by dshel »

Posted a minor update today.

Includes a bugfix for invulnerability spheres and some visual tweaks. See changelog for details.

[also, mods, if I'm inappropriately bumping my own thread, pls inform me and I'll slow down]
Groovy

Re: [WIP][updt:1/13/15]Einherjar - The Viking Mod [Hexen|Doo

Post by Groovy »

dshel wrote:Image

Download Version 0.5ahttp://www.mediafire.com/download/s7oc7 ... r_0.5a.wad NEW!
Pic above says it all: in einherjar, you play as one of Odhinn's otherworldly warriors in the fight against the weird and deformed Thursar who are tormenting the world at Ragnarok. As such....VIKINGS! Namely, a gameplay mod wherein one has access to weapons that would make sense if one were to step back into 1000 AD North Europe.

Mod is compatible with Zdoom (as in no GL required) and Zandronum(lolnope - see 0.4 - 0.5 changelog), and is designed to play well on Doom/Doom2 and Hexen.

Weapons
Spoiler:

Screens
Spoiler:
Changelog

Spoiler:

Bugs, Pitfalls, Caveats and other things
Spoiler:

Credits, Permissions and Thanks
Spoiler:
As always, have fun and tell me if I could do anything better!
Just gave this a go, wasn't a huge fan of most of the weapons, HOWEVER, the main axe was really badass, and VERY satisfying to use, I also liked the shield mechanic a lot. And overall I definitely would recommend this to anyone who wants a decent medieval mod, since there aren't many, but this one is among the best. And i'm not gonna judge the weapons too much because this is still version 0.5. I really do think though, that this mod deserves more attention, because it most definitely has potential to be amazing.

But again, I loved the main weapon, and am considering making Viking themed map packs for this if that's alright with you? Also, keep up the great work man! I can't wait to see where this goes :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”