JohnnyDoom - creative names for doom mods

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

JohnnyDoom - creative names for doom mods

Postby johnny » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Newest version: 10/27 2am (ish) CST

Based on Brutal v20b.

This has NC hud, gifty/perkristan's smoothdoom weapons (as extra package), voxelbro's BD + vanilla voxels, amv2k9's smart scavenger, and the enemy healthbar feature from jpalomo's JP hud built into it. One stop shopping, baby.

IMMEDIATE STEPS TO TAKE UPON DOWNLOADING:
Spoiler:

HOW TO PLAY THIS:
Spoiler:

NEW mega:
https://mega.nz/#F!R58CEQgR!ikKkMScYy9XELSuP99VagA

NEW dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pvjhw3qo7605 ... tCfMa?dl=0

Go to HUD options and set USER INTERFACE SCALE TO 0 so everything will line up like it's supposed to.

JohnnyDoom.pk3 - JohnnyDoom
Jnewmonsters.pk3 - adds a few new monsters from painkiller's project brutality (optional)
KDIZD_J.pk3 - Tormentor667's knee deep in zdoom mapset (optional and requires ultimate doom [doom.wad])
J_usimp.pk3 - Agentspork's ultimate simplicity mapset (status bar removed for compatibility - optional and requires doom2 [doom2.wad])
Last edited by johnny on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 111 times in total.
johnny
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Re: BDJ - grenades, fighting, and fatalities worth doing

Postby Crudux Cruo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:07 am

CC-COMBO is no longer supported, due to the new version! I will eventually update this to work with the new BDJ, so stay tuned!

you can download the mod for the old version below!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w8ponp8n5 ... -COMBO.zip
Last edited by Crudux Cruo on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Crudux Cruo
"It's howdy doody time kiddies, the bad man is here."

Postby johnny » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:10 am

Will do! Thanks man, that's awesome to hear. I really appreciate it and I'm glad you enjoyed.
johnny
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Postby Slax » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:36 am

Dem's some sexy SFX.
Slax
Saucy.

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:01 pm

I like this a lot. I like the original Doom Guy hands. :)

What I don't like is the ADS for the rifle. It's not consistent with the weapon. I also never liked the Doom 64 weapon color scheme for Doom.

What people really need is not derp death animations for Brutal Doom. They don't look smooth at all.
Carbine Dioxide
True force, all the king's men could not put it back together again.

Postby Devianteist » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Not a big fan of Brootal Dewm anymore, but I must say the I actually enjoy this version of it. Keep up the good work!

Oh, I just remembered; I was trying to find a grenade mod like the one you've employed here. Think you could make that it's own mod or point me to where I can get it?
Devianteist
Daddy Dev, resident lurking user.

Discord: #0561

Postby Glaice » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Use Mediafire or Dropbox because sites like mega.co.nz could be restrictive when the file expires.
Glaice
Maps of Chaos/RDND/DVV Overseer

Discord: Glaice#8512

Postby johnny » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for the kind words fellas!

Slax - :lol: Aren't they?! I was playing with my computer HDMI'd up to the TV earlier and the bass was intense. My little laptop speakers don't do them justice.

Carbine Dioxide - I agree on all accounts. For the rifle, the only other option I could find was this:
and that doesn't really match up either. Maybe the original BD ADS would be a better choice? I feel the same way about that navy blue tint on the Doom 64 weapons, I would much rather it be a flatter black or at least not so obviously blue. The shotgun's ADS are slightly off as well, but I'll be fixing these soon. I'll put the effort in but I'm far from a professional sprite artist. As far as fatalities go, if Sgt. Mark VI sticks to his release date of Dec. 10 then we should have a fair amount of new and redone animations in a week or so. It shouldn't take long to transplant all my stuff into BDv20.

Devianteist - Sure man, I could do that. Do you want me to inject it into the standard weapons, or something like smoothdoom? It's not something that can exist in its own pk3 outside of the weapon code and be added/removed to other weapon mods on the fly, you gotta add new states to every weapon's decorate individually. [I might be wrong here--I'm sure there's some ACS wizardy that can be done to achieve this, but I am not trained in such magics.] Fortunately this only takes like 3 lines of ACS and is as easy as pasting the throwgrenade code at the end of each weapon and adding some JumpIfInventory checks here and there.

Glaice - Thanks for the heads up, I was unaware of this. I'll set up Dropbox now. [[EDIT: I looked into this, and Mega ("megaupload" is no longer a thing) links never expire. The bandwidth allowances and free storage capacity makes Dropbox look like a joke (2gb vs 50gb). The new Mega is the bee's knees as far as cloud storage goes.]]
Last edited by johnny on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
johnny
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Postby Devianteist » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:14 pm

By "inject into the standard weapons," I assume you mean just adding it to the vanilla DOOM weapons, as you described, which would be perfect.

Though what do you mean by "something like SmoothDoom"?
Devianteist

Postby johnny » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:13 pm

I meant the smoothdoom mod, or some other equally vanilla-friendly weapon set. But I gotcha, I'll get to work and report back.
johnny
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:19 pm

I didn't mean fatalities, because the fatalities are smooth enough to get by. I am talking about the death animations in general. The knight's and baron's deaths are just 3 to 4 frames. The minimum in, my opinion, is 6 frames for each death.

I could attempt to make some ADS sprites, and color the Doom 64 stuff if you want, unless you want a more qualified spriter.

I just now played this, and there are some things that I would like to point out:

I play in widescreen, and when you punch, the arms are not attached to anything, maybe you can make it widescreen friendly?

I like the arcade style game play.

The shotgun pickup is a little odd, it's just the vanilla shotgun.

The ability to call marines is pretty awesome, although Doom Guy is not only wearing no gloves, but also wearing his fisticuff spikes.

The kicking is much more bad ass. 8-)

Overall, this is a pretty awesome mod. Well done.
Last edited by Carbine Dioxide on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carbine Dioxide

Postby Devianteist » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:50 pm

johnny wrote:I meant the smoothdoom mod, or some other equally vanilla-friendly weapon set. But I gotcha, I'll get to work and report back.

ooooh, okay, I see what you mean. No, vanilla is fine. Plus, it'll give me something to play with once I start learning code.

EDIT: I just had a thought; could you also include the punching and kicking? If not, that's fine.
Devianteist

Postby Rustygold » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:42 pm

Finally Someone knows how to balance the shotguns! I kept telling everyone that the SSGs alt fire mode makes the Shotgun useless because In the original game the SSg was supposed to be only a one fire mode to take down Big enemies while chewing trough ammo fairly quickly This Is one of the reasons the were balanced, Very few people realize this. GRATE JOB SIR!
Rustygold
They should call you smooth Doom cause you're good at this game -Random chick

Discord: #4939

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:06 pm

A preview of the zoom ADS sprite. You'll see this when you bring the gun to your face.

Because of anti aliasing, this sprite doesn't look that great.
Attachments
ADS.png
ADS.png (10.14 KiB) Viewed 74577 times
Carbine Dioxide

Postby TerminusEst13 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:15 pm

I love this mod so much, it lets me do amazing things.
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.

Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods