ACTUAL smart jumping actors

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

ACTUAL smart jumping actors

Postby TXTX » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Just a small wad i made to demonstrate some of the work that's going into a mod release later.
Adds jumping AI to doom's zombie monsters so that they will jump (almost) like a player would.

This isn't just a mod where monsters randomly jump for no reason, they KNOW when to jump onto or off of ledges without advanced coding.
By use of a small forgotten flag (+CANJUMP) i found while digging through code it can allow monsters to jump and know when to jump. They can also jump onto or off of bridges, monsters, or other platforms.

They use the canjump flag while in thier see state by toggling it on and off randomly, this is to circumvent a problem with the flag where if its left on they will never walk near ledges that are too high without getting stuck. Turning the flag off and on gets rid of this glitch. Also their jump may end abruptly and fall without hitting the peak of their jump, also a small glitch where turning off the jump flag while jumping will cause this.

Currently this flag appears to only use the floatspeed variable to determine the actor's jumping height.

Unrelated Note: Maybe further support for CANJUMP and JUMPDOWN can be added in through use of a JumpHeight/LedgeHeight addition to actors?

EDIT: WHOOPS! Wrong file was uploaded. Working file is now available.

Added to even more monsters and thier jump has been increased a bit to match the player.
Now includes a sample map and also showcases the JUMPDOWN flag which allows actors to jump off of ledges when an enemy is near.
Attachments
JumpDoom2.wad
(15.62 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Last edited by TXTX on Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TXTX
Insane Feline, Hacking through ZScript

Re: ACTUAL smart jumping actors

Postby TXTX » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Accidentally uploaded the wrong file for the monsters. The new jumpdoom file is the correct one now. Give me a break i just woke up. :lol:
Last edited by TXTX on Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TXTX

Postby Nash » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:21 pm

They just jump randomly on the spot in Doom 2 MAP01? Is there a better map to see this work as intended?
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby TXTX » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Was thinking that myself, I will upload a simple map in a few minutes to better demonstrate it.
TXTX

Postby TXTX » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Sample map done, jumps added to more monsters, and also includes the JUMPDOWN flag on demons to show its use too.
TXTX

Return to Gameplay Mods