Star Trek TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Galaxy_Stranger

Re: Star Trek TC

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Multiplayer's going to be an issue on the starship maps.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

What has to be an issue, then? Also take your time now, that was just my thought.
Galaxy_Stranger

Well, the maps of the ship alone are massive. Keeping up the illusion of a fully 3D environment is not a problem with single player. With multiplayer, now you have to worry about how hubs affect gameplay. One player exits the map - all players exit the map. Got somebody in the brig? No problem! Just exit the map.

However, I would be interested to know if the entirety of the Enterprise could fit on one map. This is where having multiple servers like an MMO would come in handy.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hub system on multiplayer? No no, i don't think that's a good idea. That's fat chance, after all. And multiplayer only maps doesn't have to be hub-based, right? Just make some one simple maps, all about every races battling. Doesn't matter it lacks quality or not!
Galaxy_Stranger wrote:However, I would be interested to know if the entirety of the Enterprise could fit on one map. This is where having multiple servers like an MMO would come in handy.
Sounds like a good idea to me either.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

i think you can use xindi reptilants/insectoids in role of emenies,in your mod
Galaxy_Stranger

Using AFADoomer's resources, how should I decorate this? It's Deck24, reserved for storage. I figured it should look somewhat different from the main decks. There's one turbolift and an area for the tractor beam mechanism to be lowered into space. In the rear, there are a couple gangways that lead up to deck 23.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n3et3m88fa8a ... 4.pk3?dl=0
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Sorry for the slow updates on this...

A few new screenshots:

Recreation Deck
ImageImage

Briefing/Assembly Room

Botany Labs
ImageImageImage

Dorsal Interconnect Decks
ImageImage

Miscellaneous Areas
ImageImage

Trek fans may notice that the gymnasium and botany labs are based on their appearances in "Charlie X". The rest of the layout is based loosely on the Franz Joseph blueprints, with alterations to shoehorn in on-screen locations. Other set pieces are based off of in-episode appearances, like the flags in the briefing room (from "The Menagerie") and the briefing room wall decor (borrowed from the not-so-great Enterprise series).

The biggest change is that I've merged all of the starship deck maps into a single map - you can now navigate on foot from deck 7, all the way down through deck 20 (though deck 19 is only a placeholder at this point). The vertical tubes (red triangle ladders) are functional, with animated hatches in between key junctions, and gangways between decks are also functional, as you can see in the last picture. The turbolift handling is bot/multiplayer-friendly now as well.

Other small details that I'm rather fond of... The food trays are a single actor that is placed in-editor that uses a few component models to randomly generate the tray's contents (Location and contents of the cup are random, the silverware layout and position chooses from 4 random placements, food has multiple options with random rotations). The 3D chess set and 3D checkers game are also similarly randomized, so they are essentially never the same twice throughout the ship.

On the dorsal connector decks, you can actually see the exterior of the Enterprise out of the windows... With a a view of planets orbiting a sun in the distance (and they actually *are* orbiting the Sun actor).

I've also switched over to using flat sprites for almost all of the wall decorations - This lets me set actions for specific wall decorations - so when you use the intercom, you get a bosun's whistle, if you set the ship to red alert (only via script right now - "pukenamed redalert 1"), the intercoms and the red alert indicators flash in sync, buttons can be given specific specials and placed next to the door they open (and show up on the Tricorder scans), etc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - the Git repository now includes a 'Build' folder that has the latest compiled version (currently ~92MB) of the mod, so you don't have to download and compile everything to a .pk3/.pk7 yourself if you don't want to.
Last edited by AFADoomer on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

It's all on one map now? Wouldn't that be taxing on computer resources?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Not much more than it already was... It's really not *that* big of a map. There are still a lot of dynamic lights, models, 3d floors, etc., though. Performance is similar to what I get with most maps of the WolfenDoom BoA mod in normal play.

I've tweaked a few things that were hogging resources (things/actors that ran scripts every tic, etc.), but right now the only real noticeable impact that I've seen is a long load time for the level.

Current map stats from GZDoomBuilder: 14596 Vertices, 19459 Lindefs, 30361 Sidedefs, 5325 Sectors, 4135 Things
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Well yeah, it's looking spectacular! There's only one thing... I see my face when I walk through some of the doorways.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Thanks!

The "see my face" issue is a problem with the engine and how it handles portals. You can see the same thing in certain situations in standard maps, but with a player model (instead of just sprites) it's far more noticeable. I don't know that it's fixable at this point, unfortunately.
Galaxy_Stranger

You had to post this while I'm at work...
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is so awesomely beautiful AFA :) Feels so TOS! I cant wait to try this
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

@AFA
If you like, I could give you some help to improve this project performance-wise... I have cloned this project several months ago because it was astonishing and now it is going better!
ReX

Post by ReX »

Love the new pics & description of new features. Continued best wishes.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”