Star Trek TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AFADoomer

Star Trek TC

Post by AFADoomer »

Something I've been working on...

ImageImage
ImageImage
(Click for full-sized screenshots)

Project Web Site | Mod Git Repository

Right now I'm re-creating the shooting set that was used for aboard-ship scenes in Star Trek (The Original Series). I plan to eventually expand to broader maps, using the components that I've created for the set layout to make a full level (or set of levels - not sure yet).

I've finished the bridge, conference room, transporter room and a basic quarters area that is waiting to be individualized. I'm most of the way done on engineering (minus some wall details and the emergency manual monitor area), the full corridor set (minus the Jefferies tube) and turbolifts. Still need to start sickbay and its associated areas.

I'm not sure if/when this will be released... While a lot of the models and texture work are mine (either new or from years ago), there are some resources that I've pulled from an old Elite Force mod I was a team member on, and I'm not sure where they came from originally. Given that they're 10 years old at this point, I don't think anyone will mind, but... And I know that there is at least one model that I need to re-do that came directly from Elite Force (bridge weapons targeting scanner).
Last edited by AFADoomer on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Endless123

Re: Star Trek TC

Post by Endless123 »

As a Star Trek fan and obviously a Doom fan i can't wait to see more of your project :D

I'll follow your progress with great interests :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Beautiful screens! I love it!
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i should show this to my BF next time i see him online...
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Single player or deathmatch? If deathmatch, " :roll: outdated zandro" compatible?

Because this is interesting. Now if only if it's the -D.... because I want the -D

maybe a bridge crew skinpack, with their sounds shoved from ol' stinsv/holodeck3 site libraries stuffed in their pains and taunts to complete it spriteripping from STTNGAFU and ST25TH, and a klingon invasion (or borg invasion for the -d)
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

leileilol wrote:Single player or deathmatch? If deathmatch, " :roll: outdated zandro" compatible?

Because this is interesting. Now if only if it's the -D.... because I want the -D

maybe a bridge crew skinpack, with their sounds shoved from ol' stinsv/holodeck3 site libraries stuffed in their pains and taunts to complete it spriteripping from STTNGAFU and ST25TH, and a klingon invasion (or borg invasion for the -d)
Single player to start, but I plan to at least have the framework DM compatible as well.

I have a Klingon in there right now, and my mostly-working player model has skins for all the department colors (I have a red-shirted Kirk wandering around as a friendly enemy).

ImageImage

I'm not sure on Zandronum compatibility - probably not in the initial version, since I already know I'm using some pointers and such that are newer to ZDoom (like to get the generic disintegration effect above that is actor independent).
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I am going to assume this MOD is not going to take the standard direction of Doom gameplay, but rather a survival/puzzle type gameplay, yes?

Because if it isn't, it will get rather dull and boring using just a Phaser Pistol, Phaser Rifle, and maybe Worf's Bat'leth when you find it in his quarters when roaming the ship. :|
That being said, you might want to look into importing the weapon sprites from the Elite Force series to compensate...
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

You should reuse the existing phaser sprites from the ncc1701 wad on the archives.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Valherran wrote:I am going to assume this MOD is not going to take the standard direction of Doom gameplay, but rather a survival/puzzle type gameplay, yes?

Because if it isn't, it will get rather dull and boring using just a Phaser Pistol, Phaser Rifle, and maybe Worf's Bat'leth when you find it in his quarters when roaming the ship. :|
That being said, you might want to look into importing the weapon sprites from the Elite Force series to compensate...
Most likely. Elite Force was a relatively happy balance of standard FPS and survival/puzzle - that's kind of what I'm aiming for. I'm planning to add the Klingon disruptor next, phaser rifle eventually (projectiles are mostly done already), and maybe some others. I haven't gotten that far.
Scuba Steve wrote:You should reuse the existing phaser sprites from the ncc1701 wad on the archives.
The sprite-based phaser in the screenshots is just a placeholder left over from when I was going to do this all with voxels, sprites and ZDoom compatibility before I decided that GZDoom was just easier - I did the model work for the phaser, phaser rifle, and Klingon disruptor years ago... I just need to port them into GZDoom as player weapons (the Klingon in the disintegration screenshots is actually carrying the disruptor already - can't really see it, though). Plus I'm kind of going for accuracy to the show, and the ncc1701 phaser sprites aren't much like the source material.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

This says it all...... :wub:
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

looks good, alot better than the original
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh yes :)
ReX

Post by ReX »

Very nice! Being a Trekkie myself, I am constantly on the look-out for Star Trek content.

One suggestion: In this screenshot, may I suggest modifying the texturing on the data console to define the edges? Right now, the horizontal and vertical surfaces seem to blend into each other at the edges.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

ReX wrote:Very nice! Being a Trekkie myself, I am constantly on the look-out for Star Trek content.

One suggestion: In this screenshot, may I suggest modifying the texturing on the data console to define the edges? Right now, the horizontal and vertical surfaces seem to blend into each other at the edges.
Thanks!

I'm probably going to re-work the textures for that model (that one is relatively low-resolution), and I'm going to bake in some shading (you can kind of see an example on the engineering centerpiece). I originally made the transporter and bridge models for Elite Force, which shades in-game, so the textures are rather one-dimensional.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

ImageImageImage
(Click for full-sized screenshots)

A view of engineering detail work (still missing a few things)... This also features my new Type II phaser model that I redid from almost scratch, with a brand new texture.

The first two space shots are from a recreation of the title sequence, the last is a mock-up with Space Station K7

Biggest progress this week: Discovering that I can import models with multiple textures files if I recompile the model with proper paths to each texture in the .pk7, and don't define a skin in ModelDef...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”