Wolfenstein EC (formerly Wolfenstein 3DGE)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SiFi270

Re: [3DGE] Wolfenstein 3DGE (update 2018)

Post by SiFi270 »

I think they may be referring to a rectangular area around the face. It was more noticeable when I had the main menu open on top of it, but for some reason it didn't appear at all in the screenshots I took.

EDIT: And now I've restarted the game and can't see any trace of it. Huh.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Sounds like a graphical issue with the engine itself rather than the mod. I've never come across it myself. I do, however, see lines above moving sprites on occasion though.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

It seems in Floor 2-4 of the Second Encounter, the gold key opens every locked door when in the original it only opened the one leading to the exit. This makes the other two locked rooms feel pointless, because they were originally meant to reward a player who had found a secret with items that'd help during the boss battle. If the key to those rooms is dropped by the boss, then it's already too late for them to be of any use.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

SiFi270 wrote:It seems in Floor 2-4 of the Second Encounter, the gold key opens every locked door when in the original it only opened the one leading to the exit. This makes the other two locked rooms feel pointless, because they were originally meant to reward a player who had found a secret with items that'd help during the boss battle. If the key to those rooms is dropped by the boss, then it's already too late for them to be of any use.
There is no texture diffrencial between the two types of locked doors like in the console ports, they all share the same here like vanilla Wolf3D. But, doors requiring gold key can only be opened with the gold key while doors requiring the silver key can only be opened with the silver key.

If that is the case, then the error is in the Macenstein TC, which is the source of the levels used here.

I will investigate the issue.

EDIT: I've checked both with the Mac-enstein TC and this mod. The gold key only opens the door to the exit, the other two doors require the silver key.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

I swear I opened both silver key doors before discovering any secrets, and it wasn't until I watched this video to see where they were that I suspected something was wrong. And based on what's seen in that video and three more I found (One, two, three) it looks like all of the ports except the SNES version had colored keyholes.

Edit: I tried your version again, and it seems it wasn't the gold key that was opening those doors, but a silver key found here. Having double checked the first video I posted above, it seems to be present in the same place in the TC, so it's either a mistake in that or the original Mac version.

Edit again: It's there quite consistently from what I can gather from the other videos. Does the level have a counterpart in any of the DOS games? The discussion's kind of straying from your mod here but now I'm really curious about this.
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

That is so weird! The issue I had was gone, when I went back to play the game again.
One thing I wish could be changed, would be having the PC version music playing during the Second Encounter, as was the case in the Jaguar port. Is that an easy thing I can do myself?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

SiFi270 wrote:I swear I opened both silver key doors before discovering any secrets, and it wasn't until I watched this video to see where they were that I suspected something was wrong. And based on what's seen in that video and three more I found (One, two, three) it looks like all of the ports except the SNES version had colored keyholes.

Edit: I tried your version again, and it seems it wasn't the gold key that was opening those doors, but a silver key found here. Having double checked the first video I posted above, it seems to be present in the same place in the TC, so it's either a mistake in that or the original Mac version.

Edit again: It's there quite consistently from what I can gather from the other videos. Does the level have a counterpart in any of the DOS games? The discussion's kind of straying from your mod here but now I'm really curious about this.
The level is based on the final level of episode four, A Dark Secret, where you face off with Otto Giftmacher. All levels have PC counterparts, though they are stripped down simplified and with more doors added.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

Oh now I get it. Having compared the two (and the Third Encounter version for good measure), I see the purpose of the secret keys is to be able to unlock the doors in the boss room without having to alert so many enemies. That's my curiosity satisified, so this little off-topic tangent can now officially be put to an end.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

No worries.

There will be an update eventually that'll, among other things, replace the Ubermutant to the brown clothed variant for the Second Encounter episode and an alternate SNES-style death for Hitler. Other changes will include some much needed polish to the weapons, patrolling enemies with less jerky movement and a slightly updated HUD.

Also, currently, investigating the possibilities of sliding doors.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Whew! Updated once again. Fixed a lot of slopy typos, errors and whatnot along with numerous changes and additions. All while also working on two seperate addon patches to go along with the base mod. These change things around to more accurately simulate the Atari Jaguar port and the Apple Macintosh port of Wolfenstein 3D, repectively.

Atari Jaguar port patch preview

Apple Macintosh port patch preview

DOWNLOADS: http://www.moddb.com/mods/wolfenstein-3dge/downloads

Still, no sliding doors and no actual pushwalls. :(
jablon1000

Re: [3DGE] Wolfenstein 3DGE (Mac & Jag patches)

Post by jablon1000 »

bug report: sometimes when you are 100% health you can pickup healing item.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

jablon1000 wrote:bug report: sometimes when you are 100% health you can pickup healing item.
I guess this is a problem with 3DGE itself, I noticed this in CeeJay's other mods too, when standing in fire and getting burn damage for example, it seems like it calculates health/damage more precisely than other source ports with decimal points, not displayed on the HUD, similar to Saints Row 2, where picking up a set amount of coins from smashed newspaper stands or parking meters gives you $1, but you can't see how many coins you currently have or need. Also, it doesn't help that 3DGE forces falling damage in stock Doom Maps with no way to disabling it.
CeeJay

Re: [3DGE] Wolfenstein 3DGE (Mac & Jag vpatches)

Post by CeeJay »

It is an issue that has been with the engine for a long time, I wish they would fix it along with some other old ones. Such as the title music getting cut off and not looping, something that makes creating custom openings a real pain in the backside forcing you to work around the issue.
jablon1000 wrote:Also, it doesn't help that 3DGE forces falling damage in stock Doom Maps with no way to disabling it.
Well, there is no risk of falling to your death in Wolfenstein 3DGE :D
jablon1000

Post by jablon1000 »

...great port ^^ i always must turn off strech world option and it drive me crazy, but there are some good mods only on 3dge...
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

CeeJay wrote:Whew! Updated once again. Fixed a lot of slopy typos, errors and whatnot along with numerous changes and additions. All while also working on two seperate addon patches to go along with the base mod. These change things around to more accurately simulate the Atari Jaguar port and the Apple Macintosh port of Wolfenstein 3D, repectively.

Atari Jaguar port patch preview
...I love you

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”