[Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

Post by Project Shadowcat »

wolf00 wrote:this is a very nice mod[but on pc it is a untstable mostly] GZDoom g2.1.pre-61 mostly ctd ...
Did you read the part on the first post that said that you should probably use a 1.9 type version?
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

i have gzd 1.9 instaled before.. same situation,crashing mostly ...
PFL

Post by PFL »

That's weird. I was using tha 2.1.pre-24-g48 and experienced no glitch of any kind; there's even a newer one from the 28th.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, no idea what's going on there. No crashing for me, and I've run the mod countless times.
PFL

Post by PFL »

Enjay wrote:Yup
I knew you were a seperatist :wink:
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

i have same problem like nash,when i using invisibility mode.when my gun decloacing to normal...
Tendo

Post by Tendo »

Well that felt fresh and nice. Without a shadow of a doubt, that gem is cacoward material.

I needed a bit more than 2 hours, felt enough. But of course more maps would be phenomenal :wink: .
Gez

Post by Gez »

I finally had the time to play through it. Maxed it (100%/100%/100%) after some backtracking and wandering. It was pretty nice. Solid attention to detail and the consistent texturing theme made it feel like a forgotten game of the late 90s, rather than a Doom mod.

Haphazard mess of criticism: I'm not really fond of models in Doom, but I must admit when they're used for pretty much everything it works. It was a bit hard at first to tell between harmless employees and enemies; that guys in labcoats would try to punch a hulking musclehead armed with a giant machinegun and how has just slaughtered a dozen security guys, well, that felt a bit strange to be honest. Some of the enemies felt a bit bullet-spongy, notably the ED-209 and the rocket drone. I thought the first half of the map had the better layout, the second half is mostly a long corridor. With a more compact layout and more interconnectivity (helped perhaps with more room-over-room effects) it'd have been better I think.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for playing and the review. Your criticisms are all fair points that I cannot disagree with. The comments relating to the layout of the second half in particular pretty much confirm my own feelings on that section. It was intended to be more linear and traditional in progression but editing time constraints also had a part to play. It was also something of an experiment to make most of the section effectively a corridor that could allow you to bypass the more interesting rooms and get through quickly or choose to visit and progress through the rooms for more battles and greater rewards. Given those points, I'm happy enough with how it turned out but I do essentially agree with you.
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

link to my review on my blog

basically echo what gez says but its so damn fun killing strogg in this
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

kmxexii wrote:link to my review on my blog

basically echo what gez says but its so damn fun killing strogg in this
Thank you for taking the time to do that. It is much appreciated and I'm glad you had fun with the mod. The review is nicely put together too. Any criticisms are, again, justified and accepted in the positive manner they were intended. Thanks. :D
joshescue18

Post by joshescue18 »

Will it ever be modified by following the guidelines so it will be released on /idgames archive?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Maybe. I had originally intended to make the release here, get feedback, possibly update things with fixes tweaks (all of which have been done) and then package things up for an idgames release. However, real-life has been phenomenally busy for me over the weeks and months since the release and, even though it wouldn't take that long, I just haven't had the time to sit down and do it.

That being said, I have lost some faith in the idgames archive of late too. The upload procedure seems more clumsy than it was before (though I understand the reasons why). I've also spent a bit of time looking at and watching the uploads and trying to navigate around the archives; particularly the incoming stuff. With its flood of "Terry WADs" (now partially addressed) and other "jokes", frankly, my impression is that the archive is turning into a clumsy, unnavigable muddy morass (or it was the last time I looked). In addition, a number of other projects by various people haven't been uploaded there either and I have noticed what seems to be an increasing trend of some authors moving away from an idgames release and just using file hosting services instead (which is fraught with danger and not ideal, but it seems to be happening anyway). I don't know why that is happening. It could be related to the points that I have already made but I saw one comment* that indicated an author didn't want to upload to idgames because of its close ties to the Doomworld front end database and the Doomworld /newstuff reviews. That doesn't bother me, but I'm aware that it is an issue for some people.

So, I have to say, although I still recognise the need for a central repository of all things Doom, with the current pressures on my time and the current state of the archives, I'm really not all that bothered about rushing to make an idgames release. It'll probably happen but I don't know when.

*It was in a PM where a modder asked me if there was any way to upload to idgames but not have their WAD included in the Doomworld database and not be reviewed in the /newstuff chronicles (which, as far as I know, there isn't).
cem26

Post by cem26 »

am getting error but i dont know how icopy this and i cant get photo with fraps
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

cem26 wrote:am getting error but i dont know how icopy this and i cant get photo with fraps
Try Puu.sh to get a screenshot for us.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”