[Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: [Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

Post by Enjay »

In case you can't get a screenshot, what sort of error are we talking about (a message at the console, a crash, a visual error)?

Are you using the latest GZDoom? I tried it with the latest git build today and it worked with no errors at all. However, I noticed in another thread that you said you have difficulty with OpenGL and the latest builds. Could that be part of the problem?
cem26

Post by cem26 »

okay i solved my problem(thx):i updated my all files but open gl NOT working now :/
Nash

Post by Nash »

There has been some recent MODELDEF developments in the master branch:
- add commented out support for #include in modeldefs (blocked by gene tech having broken #include statements in its modeldef files)
See here: https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/com ... 0fdd66R847

Basically, an attempt was made to support #include in MODELDEF, but this feature is currently blocked due to an erroneous definition inside Gene Tech.

Enjay, would you be able to upload a fixed version of the mod? The offending part in particular is (quoted from a dev on Discord):
#include "sentinel.modl"
with a missing sentinal.modl it seems
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Can’t we just add empty file with offending name to gzdoom.pk3? Quick and dirty hack I know, but what’s released cannot be unreleased.
There are compatibility handling for maps. This one will be for the great mod.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Or just exclude this particular lump name from generating an error.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Or just exclude this particular lump name from generating an error.
I like this solution better.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sorry, just picking up on this now. Is there anything I need to do here? I'm happy to provide a fix if needed. I just checked with 3.4.1 and the mod seems to be working without the error mentioned but if there is something amiss in my files, I'll happily bring them up to spec if I know what it is that needs to be done.

On those lines, I noticed when I started the map that I got this message:

Code: Select all

Could not find dialog file SCRIPT00
The dialogues still seem to be working and this message didn't appear in earlier versions of GZDoom. However there isn't a SCRIPT00 lump in my PK3. Should there be?

My dialogue script does have

include = "SCRIPT00";
in it. When I made the file, I was learning the spec (still not fully familiar with it) and that line seemed to be needed but I *assumed* that meant it was pulling the contents of SCRIPT00 from elsewhere (gzdoom.pk3 or whatever). Like I said, the dialogues seem to be working and the message didn't appear before, so something has changed - and if I need to apply a fix, I will do.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Missing dialog files were not reported previously. It's better to delete the second line of DIALOG01.txt file

include = "SCRIPT00";
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, so the line was never needed? :oops:

It's not a major issue, so I'll not rush to upload a fix, just in case anything else needs sorted, but I'll do it sooner or later. Thanks.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Enjay wrote:Sorry, just picking up on this now. Is there anything I need to do here? I'm happy to provide a fix if needed. I just checked with 3.4.1 and the mod seems to be working without the error mentioned but if there is something amiss in my files, I'll happily bring them up to spec if I know what it is that needs to be done.
There was 1 Gene-Tech-specific check added into the #include parser... so that's why you don't see the error. Still, if you could fix it mod-side, and make it part of an update pass (in case you need to fix anything else), that would better, and dpJudas said that Gene-Tech-specific check can be removed from the engine source. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just so I'm clear, the error was the line at the start of the modeldef.txt file that said:

#include "sentinel.modl"
Which does indeed seem to be trying to include a non existent file. I guess I must have tried to do a #include a my modeldef, found it didn't work and forgot to clear out the test line.

I'll edit it out and upload a fixed version.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

There is an issue with normals because of recently enabled lighting for models. According to comments this should be fixed on mod’s side.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Unfortunately, I'm very much a low-skill modeller and I don't know how to fix the normals and I also don't know if I have any software that would allow me to investigate them and then address any issues found. I only use simple tools (mostly MilkShape and MisfitCubed) and the later has a menu item of "normals face out" but that makes it look worse in the 3D preview in the editor.

I'll be honest, I only have a very rudimental understanding of what a normal is. I'm happy to have a go or even just to package up a fixed model from someone else but I really don't know where to start.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

We could probably use a cvar that shows the normals in-game for debugging purposes. That will make it a lot easier for modders to QA check stuff like this.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Nash posted a screenshot of the normals of one of the weapons on Discord:

(click on the link to see a version not raped by jpeg)

As you can see the surfaces aren't smooth due to the various faces not being part of the same normal smoothing group. Those seams are visible when an attenuated light shines on it. Due to a refactor of how light lists are built it was changed so that models always use attenuated light.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”