[DEMO] Doom Happens - v0.4 Major Remastering, last Alpha

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[DEMO] Doom Happens - v0.4 Major Remastering, last Alpha

Postby Lycaon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:43 am

Cyberpunk/Horror Fantasy, story driven TC-ish map pack for GZDoom

"That was... strange" - Suitepee

Greetings, Doom community. I'm currently working on a .pk3 featuring 6 maps for GZdoom. "Doom Happens" is a project I'd started a few years ago and, unfortunately, lost every single map in a failed backup. The idea was to make a Megawad, but now that I've started over I'm taking a different approach.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GZDoom only

Doom Happens - Alpha demo 0.41

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea is to make a map pack consisting of a few large, themed maps with a strong narrative element throughout the whole thing. I'm making cutscenes, ingame dialogs, characters, etc. The game is divided into chapters. Each map will have 2-3 chapters aprox. The maps will have abundant minibosses fights, as well as a final boss for each map. I have a whole cosmology tought over for this universe. Each map after the first one and before the final one will take place in different realms of purgatory. Each of this realms is a sort of eternal plane of existence where an aspect of reality lies in its pure form (Darkness, Flesh, Conflict, Machine, Mind, Lust, Light, those last 3 won't be playable though), but they have been taken over by powerful people that managed to enter purgatory in body and soul, hence enabling them to draw power from this realms and creating vast armies. This will lead to bizarre clashes, each of this powerful villains being famous people in history that somehow were related to the occult. For example, the second map will be in the Darkness realm, and there you will find the castle of Drácula (Vlad Tepes in his human life), which was built in purgatory to serve as a mirror to the material castle still standing in transylvania, object of popular lore. Said map will be a tribute to Castlevania, and will mimic many of the NES classic's mechanichs in FPS form. Each map will have unique traits and mechanichs to it. To give another example, the flesh themed map will constantly change architecture, as the whole map will be the titanic body of the boss itself, who will shift forms to create traps and decieve you, twisting your notion of space to stop you from reaching his heart. The first map, which is the longest and is still in development (there is a demo of chapter 1), has a urban warfare/survival concept. You will be fighting human soldiers, assassins and robots in this one, but later in the map there will also be zombies (still not released). It's a huge map, consists of the first 3 chapters. I estimate each chapter has about 40 min gameplay, though for some people it takes over an hour to beat the first one in the demo.

Everything in the demo map will be improved in some way in the future, so bear in mind that the finished thing will attempt to look different. I will try to implement features like a PDA with monster logs and weapon descriptions.

You are Sgt. Woods, an ireful soldier from an 80's styled futuristic cyberpunk world divided by a civil war between two factions: People's army, a group of rebel soldiers and ex-members of the dismantled US army, and Monochrome, a dark corporation that is taking over the world and have formed an alliance with the EDF (who are, at the same time, smuggling state of the art weapons from the UAC). His team was ambushed during a very important mission and, having sworn vengeance, Woods continues alone, and eventually ends up in purgatory (dem teleporters). He then travels across five realms of otherwordly landscapes in which he will face his own destiny.

Spoiler:

- 6 maps with different themes (urban, medieval, titanic, tech, flesh and Inferno)

- Textures, monsters, weapons and items taken from different sources such as realm667, as well as original Doom stuff.

- A silenced pistol can be used if you like playing stealthy.

- Narrative. Cutscenes. Ingame dialogs -no voice, just text- and a combination of run n' gun action with ingame storytelling

- 16-bit music from Arcade classics and popular game tracks in general. 80's movies soundtracks here and there.

- Mini-bosses and Bosses, some will have to be killed in unique ways

- Loads of references to games -old and new-, movies and popular culture in general

- It will feature a button to skip cutscenes, but it is not yet available in the demo. However, cutscenes are very short and usually there is autosave after them, just in case. Currently you can still skip the opening cutscene which is the longest.

The story is not going to take itself too seriously, it will have tragic and comedic moments, introduced by the many pop culture references.
I'm currently nearing completion of the first map, which is the most extensive and complicated one, for it takes place in a city and is the less conventional map (the others will be much, much more doomish, with more classical monsters). Nevertheless, the rest of the maps and the story are already planned and thought over.

EDIT [03/16/16]: Major remastering of the map. This will be the last Alpha before the Beta. I've done countless things to it: nearly total retexturing of most of the map areas, enhanced stealth system (enemies will have a hard time shooting at you when you stand in dark places) as well as gameplay changes to the Alpha zone to take advantage of this feature, more architectural detail pretty much everywhere, swinging and sliding doors, flickable light switches, resized textures for duke nukem and kingpin patches that looked gigantic (specially doors), new decal effects for blood and bullet puffs, loads of new props, new visual effects for explosions, slightly rebalanced difficulty, new sounds, improved weapon animation for the rifle, new fonts... I've done everything I could, but it's still the same length, all the new parts for chapter 2 are still in development, though I included a piece of it as "MAP01F" if anyone wants to have sneak peak at what I'm doing. Simply enter "map map01f" in the console. The reason why I did this is that I want this mod to look tight and polished and let you know that i'm taking this serious. I plan to add even more features in time. This goes to show that I do not intend this to be an amateur map pack, I'll do my best with it. I will keep improving this as I learn more about editing myself, since this is my first project and started it without even knowing how to script.

Older news

Spoiler:

. Invisible polyobject doors? Try a non-dev version of GZDoom builder
. Zandronum version has been discontinued, it has major bugs and makes some of the parts of the map I have made since the last version unplayable.
. If you experience fps drop when steping outside, try switching fog mode from "radial" to "standard" in the options menu.
. Keep the fonts unresized, otherwise dialogs and text in general wil be extremely buggy

Spoiler:

Let me know what you think!
Last edited by Lycaon on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 107 times in total.
Lycaon
Black Metal

Re: Project - Doom Happens (early screenshots)

Postby insightguy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:07 am

looks ok....BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PICK BETWEEN ANGLED OR CENTERED WEAPONS AND STICK WITH IT. thanks....
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User

Postby Lycaon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:21 pm

I never even payed attention to that detail... the M16 is the only angled weapon, I guess I could fix that. Thanks.
Lycaon
Black Metal

Postby Endless123 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:04 pm

Looks really interesting :D

I always welcome new maps to play, it changed from the default same Doom and Doom 2 maps. There isn't enough urban maps out there so feel free to release as much as you want :D
Endless123

Postby Lycaon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Endless123 wrote:Looks really interesting :D

I always welcome new maps to play, it changed from the default same Doom and Doom 2 maps. There isn't enough urban maps out there so feel free to release as much as you want :D

It will be a long map, but only the first in a 6 maps mod, and the rest of them will not be urban, and you'll be fighting demons. Think of this one as a long introduction.
Lycaon
Black Metal

Re: [DEMO ANNOUNCEMENT] Doom Happens - new screenshots

Postby Lycaon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:53 am

DEMO ANNOUNCED + NEW SCREENSHOTS
Lycaon
Black Metal

Postby Kinsie » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:55 am

I like the smoke effects. They add a nice, subtle atmosphere I haven't seen much elsewhere.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby taufan99 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:59 am

Seems promising. Keep up the good work!
taufan99
Ow, I stubbed my toe!

Discord: loveliver99#8477

Postby Scripten » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:22 pm

I like the aesthetics of this! Also, good to see more mapsets that utilize ZDoom features. I miss the old Half-Life-ish cutscene wads. (Most of which were never completed. :P )
Scripten
Oh, that's simply delicious!

Discord: Scripten#3195

Postby TheMightyHeracross » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:18 pm

I find it ironic that the one going "You won't escape from me this time, rebel scum!" is a Strife rebel. :P
TheMightyHeracross
...and remember: his silence is golden.

Discord: TheMightyHeracross#1716
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby Lycaon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:59 pm

Hahaha. there's a twisted explanation for that. They are actually soldiers from EDF, which you never actually get to see in Duke Nukem. The point is, they are in alliance with a faction that is composed of soldiers with sprites from The Order. So you are pretty much fighting both the order and the rebels, both equipped with weapons from the UAC. It was the most over the top enemy faction i could come up with while mantaining the idea of paying homage to all these games
Lycaon
Black Metal

Re: [DEMO RELEASED] Doom Happens

Postby Lycaon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:55 pm

Demo uploaded! Let me know what you think of it
Lycaon
Black Metal

Re: [DEMO released] Doom Happens - Fixed file in link

Postby grouchbag » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:36 am

I really like this. :D
grouchbag

Postby Lycaon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:41 am

Thank you very much! Please make sure to play the version that starts with the cutscene and NOT with a pistol, I accidentally uploaded a wrong file the first time.
Lycaon
Black Metal

Postby Average » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:10 am

Looks interesting. I'll give it a blast this afternoon. :)
Average

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects