SCP - Doom Experiment v0.6-pre2 (WIP)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

SCP - Doom Experiment v0.6-pre2 (WIP)

Postby Feguelion » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:51 am

SCP - Doom Experiment is a horror mod project for (G)ZDoom. It is based on the game SCP - Containment Breach and was inspired by a similar project by kevansevans.
I started this for fun and never though I would release it to the public, but I started to put effort in the project, and I would like to finish it, so I finally released it.
As stated above, it is mostly based on the game SCP-CB, but now I am focusing on adding SCPs and features that are currently not included in the game.

If you are not familiar with the SCP Foundation, it is a website where users can post "SCPs" (standing for "Special Containment Procedures" and the motto of the Foundation, "Secure Contain Protect"). In universe, the SCPs are anomalous objects contained in various Sites of the Foundation, for example SCP-173 is a statue that can move when not being looked at, and will snap people's necks. SCP-500 is a plastic can containing several pills that can cure any disease, and there are many more entries like this. Official website of the Foundation: http://scp-wiki.net/ (I am not affiliated with the SCP Foundation).

SCP-173 is the main enemy in the game. You will have to try to maintain direct eye contact with it in order for it not to attack you. The mod has a blinking mechanic, you can blink manualy but it is also done automaticly. SCP-173 will move towards you everytime you blink or don't look at it. There are also many more SCPs in the mod, and even more will be added in the future. Big thanks to kevansevans for the base code for SCP-173 and the blinking mechanic which I both modified.

It is recommanded to use the lastest version of ZDoom or GZDoom to play the mod. The Doom 2 IWAD is required.
I also recommand to configure your controls before playing, including the blink button.
The default buttons to read a document are the number keys. Key 1 for nothing, 2 for Safe-class objects documents, 3 for Euclid-class, 4 for Keter-class and 5 for other various notes.
The mod comes with a simple launcher written in BATCH, please read the following instructions to know how to use it.

How to use the mod:
Spoiler:

The current version is v0.6-pre2, a preview of the upcoming stable version, v0.6. And since it is a demo, many things will change and there is currently no ending.
The SCPs currently found in this mod are:
  • SCP-019 (the instances of SCP-019-2 use placeholder sprites)
  • SCP-055 (its document can be found)
  • SCP-096 (currently has placeholder sprites)
  • SCP-173
  • SCP-217
  • SCP-372 (for now, it doesn't try to hide behind the player, but I will work on this)
  • SCP-500 (currently does not cure SCP-217, I will be working on this as well)
  • SCP-513
  • SCP-682 (it can be heard as an ambient sound)
  • SCP-714 (it is incomplete as it doesn't slow down the player and cannot be unequiped, but it stills protect from memetic hazards)
  • SCP-895
  • SCP-420-J
  • SCP-789-J

The mod currently has a very incomplete example map, and the map layout will be heavily modified in the future. Some of the SCPs can be found in it. In order to view the other SCPs, you will have to use console commands (e.g summon scp513).
Randomly-generated maps would be a very nice feature, but it is not possible in the (Z)Doom engine. However, it is possible by using an external program (such as OBLIGE, which generates random levels for the standard Doom) to do this. I am currently not enough experienced in programming languages to mack such program, so help on this part would be really appreciated.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Videos:
Spoiler:

Planned features:
Spoiler:

Feel free to post any comments or suggestions. If you want to help with coding, resources or by other means, go ahead, it is always appreciated! :D
And remember, since this is a development version, many things will change. Also, I am sorry for the current lack of in-game instructions, but some will be added in future version of course.
The mod has a storyline, but it is only slightly hinted in some notes, and the storyline will be more implemented in the next versions, such as the implementation of an intro.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/atqjb ... 6-pre2.zip

The full credits and list of features can be found in the text files included with this mod.
The works of the SCP Foundation are under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike license.
Feguelion

Re: SCP - Doom Experiment v0.6-pre2 (WIP)

Postby Endless123 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:57 am

Is it just me or this mod has really similar gameplay and elements of the "Slender Man" series?

Anyway a Slender-like mod in Doom is welcome. I will follow this one with attention :)
Endless123

Postby Feguelion » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:20 pm

Thanks for your reply :)
As stated, the example map is currently very incomplete, but maybe you got confused by the documents. Unlike Slender games, your goal won't be to get every notes, it is more similar to the gameplay of the original SCP - Containment Breach by Regalis, where you have to exit the facility by getting keycards of higher security clearance level. The Level 1 Keycard is the lowest and can only open a few doors, while the Level 5 Keycard is the highest and can open any door requiring a keycard (including the facility's exits).

I am currently working with a friend on getting ideas for the new architecture of the rooms, after that the example map will be heavily modified and a new version will be released.
We also have multiple ideas for the storyline, which will of course be more developed in future versions. :)
Feguelion

Postby Endless123 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm looking forward to it :)
Endless123

Postby Kostov » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Kostov
RUS/SRB translator

Github ID: K0stov

Postby Endless123 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:22 pm

undead003 wrote:SCP isn't even close to Slender.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

http://www.scpcbgame.com/

Do you even know about the Slender games? Basically you have to avoid Slender at all cost or he'll kill you and you have to do it while searching stuff like notes by exploring the area. From what i can see from the video above that's really similar to how a Slender game is played. Besides i never said this mod was a clone of Slender, i only said there were similar elements (based on the video above) which is a big difference.

Anyway i'm sure you will agree with me about Doom not having enough survival horror mods and this mod is one that's why i'll keep an eye on the evolution of this mod.
Endless123

Postby Kostov » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:20 pm

SCPCB's about trying to escape a facility with dangers, mysteries, tools, forbidden things, and there are many entities focused on spitting horror and death at you. It intends a long and immersive journey by utilizing a story and random generation etc.

Slender's about rapidly seeking paper and avoiding an entity in a forest. The main game, anyway.

"Slender-like" isn't really correct... both are horror, but the gameplay is drastically comparable. In case you didn't know, "SCPCB" is an indie horror game that this wad is based upon, which, is quite different from Slender.

http://www.scpcbgame.com/

At your latter point - yes, I was happy to see this blossom from the projects. Well-known is the fact that SCPCB is a singleplayer game. With a second player start on the facility, the current closest to SCPCB multiplayer is achieved. Haven't tried it with anyone else yet though.
Kostov
RUS/SRB translator

Github ID: K0stov

Postby agaures » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:22 am

Haha, just a few days ago i was watching some play-throughs of SCP CB and thinking to myself of ways that this could be possible in doom. You have done a nice job so far.
Just a few things... scp 173 moves too slow in my opinion. Either that or the blinking is too fast. He could only really get me if i was right next to him. Don't know what the speedy green weed is meant to be, and... the mapping isn't too great. One last thing. I feel for this to be as scary as SCP CB, it should be a GZDoom mod and use dynamic lighting.
If you need any help, i can lend a hand as i have experience in mapping, texturing and spriting. (although not the best. Can't do Vader type good stuff)

Anyway, really nice so far. Looking forward to further updates!
agaures
Stop sitting on me scalliano.

Postby Feguelion » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:08 am

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! :)

undead003 wrote:With a second player start on the facility, the current closest to SCPCB multiplayer is achieved.

Actually I have removed the second player spawnpoint in this version, but I will re-add it in the next update. This is because ZDoom and GZDoom currently do not have, as far as I know, functions to check if any player is looking at a monster, it can only check with the monster's target.
This causes several glitches to occur, for example, if SCP-173 has taken Player 1 for target, it will be able to move if that player isn't looking at it, despite other players eventually looking at it as well. Because SCP-096 and SCP-895's surveillance feed also both check field-of-view with their target, similar glitches may occur with them.

agaures wrote:Just a few things... scp 173 moves too slow in my opinion. Either that or the blinking is too fast. He could only really get me if i was right next to him.

I have already tried to make it faster, but it wasn't really great, so I will probably increase the blinking duration in the next update.

agaures wrote:Don't know what the speedy green weed is meant to be

I believe you are talking about SCP-372, I'm aware that it is quite badly implemented at the moment, it is supposed to hide behind the player and can be occasionaly seen by them. For now I didn't found a way to do that so if you have an idea it could be great. :) I though about using A_Warp with a FOV check, I will test this and see how it turns out.

agaures wrote:the mapping isn't too great

I'm also aware of that, it was just a test map but it will be entirely redone from scratch for the final v0.6.

agaures wrote:One last thing. I feel for this to be as scary as SCP CB, it should be a GZDoom mod and use dynamic lighting.

You are right, I didn't think of using dynamic lighting, but it will definitly fit in the mod. :)

agaures wrote:If you need any help, i can lend a hand as i have experience in mapping, texturing and spriting.

This would be really appreciated. If you are interested, new sprites for SCP-019-2, SCP-096, SCP-372 and SCP-789-J would be great. If you want, you can also make some props (chairs, desks, lamps, plants, computers, etc.), it would also be very interesting.
Several NPCs are needed as well, such as scientists, guards, Class-Ds (including sprites for the player), MTFs (they currently use the Doomguy sprites as placeholders), and maybe more if you have ideas.
As for the textures, what would be great would be to replace all the ones from Doom with new ones. I can do basic texturing so I will make some. What we need are mostly new textures for the walls, floors and ceiling, but also glass textures (including one for SCP-372's cell), and I will post more requests for anyone interested in texturing. If you have an idea for a texture that could fit, go ahead :)
Finally, for the mapping, it would be nice to make containment chambers for the SCPs, offices, a cafeteria, some rooms with decoration such as plants that would be near offices, and I will also post more ideas when I will have them. You can also suggest ideas for rooms :)

I will start tweaking various things, such as SCP-372. I can't guarantee when the stable v0.6 will be released, but it should contain new mapping, some tweaks, possibly new textures and sprites, and of course more SCPs. For cutscenes, including the intro, voice acting will be probably required so if anyone is interested, please tell me. And finally, if someone could help in coding a random map generator (that creates a map by using only pre-made rooms and hallways), it would be great as well. :)
Feguelion

Postby agaures » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:21 am

As for the random generation. Nothing like that is currently possible in ZDoom as far as i know of. What you could do is make several maps which all use the same rooms but in different orders and somehow get the player to start at a random map each play-through.
agaures
Stop sitting on me scalliano.

Postby Feguelion » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:24 am

Thanks, I have already tough of that alternative. Did you heard about OBLIGE? If not, it is a program that generates random maps for ZDoom. I was talking about making such program, except that it would use only pre-made rooms.

EDIT: About multiplayer issues, I remembered that I used Thing_Hate with SCP-096. Because of this, it will be focused on the first player and ignore the others no matter its current target. I don't know if its possible to fix this issue.
Feguelion

Postby Jaxxoon R » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:55 am

Slender's about trying to escape a forest with danger, mystery, buildings, old things, and there is one entity focused on spitting horror and death at you. It intends a long journey by utilizing pages and forests etc.

SCPCB's about rapidly seeking exit and avoiding entities in a lab. The main game, anyway.

ONE AND THE SAME EMAS EHT DNA ENO

But really, I'm at least hoping you're going to have more interesting architecture than in SCP.
Jaxxoon R

Postby NachtIntellect » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:37 am

I actually tried doing this at one stage, I even tried to make some random room generators, I can't remember how I did it all of that progress is on my hard drive which I still have yet to extract the files for it, never the less nice work, I am going to share this on the cb forums, there was someone who had asked about making it on Zdoom I believe a while ago.
NachtIntellect
Eisennacht Headmaster

Discord: NachtIntellect#9270

Postby Feguelion » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:42 am

Whiteace wrote:I actually tried doing this at one stage, I even tried to make some random room generators, I can't remember how I did it all of that progress is on my hard drive which I still have yet to extract the files for it, never the less nice work, I am going to share this on the cb forums, there was someone who had asked about making it on Zdoom I believe a while ago.

Thanks for your support! If you want to contribute code or something else to the mod, let me know :) However, I have already made a topic on the CB forums in the 'Other SCP Games' section but thanks for sharing!

I have improved SCP-217, SCP-372 and SCP-500. Now SCP-217 also slows down the player in addition to the poisoning, and SCP-500 restores the player's normal speed as well. However, it currently does not stop the poison, I have searched for mutliple ways of doing this on the wiki but I still can't manage to do it, does someone know how to stop the poisioning with an item? It would be helpful.
As it was suggested, I have also increased the blink duration and now SCP-173 is more dangerous. All these changes will be included in the next update, of course.

EDIT: The map will be redone in UDMF format, so if you want to submit rooms, please make them in UDMF format. "ZDoom (Doom in Hexen)" format.
Last edited by Feguelion on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feguelion

Postby Caligari87 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:04 am

Just a suggestion, if you haven't done this already. When the player actually breaks line of sight, have SCP-173 lose the target and just A_Wander around normally. That way it's not actively chasing them room-to-room where you can never escape, just when they're dumb or brave enough to actually get near it.

Also, maybe make doors open on player bumping, so you can open them without having to look behind you, or make a box of "use" lines the player can activate while not looking directly at the door.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects