[V1.3] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BFG

Re: [V1.0 RELEASE!] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

Post by BFG »

I wish this was mixed with Doom RPG and had a leveling up system, XP, a shop :cry:
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Episode 2 please.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

BFG wrote:I wish this was mixed with Doom RPG and had a leveling up system, XP, a shop :cry:
why? RPG mechanics have little place in an old-school first-person shooter.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:
BFG wrote:I wish this was mixed with Doom RPG and had a leveling up system, XP, a shop :cry:
why? RPG mechanics have little place in an old-school first-person shooter.
I guess, but it feels more rewarding when you get points and rank up from killing things :P
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

BFG wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:why? RPG mechanics have little place in an old-school first-person shooter.
I guess, but it feels more rewarding when you get points and rank up from killing things :P
if RPG system is outta the FPS place, why not adding the scores and hall of fame system? i think serious sam worked with it.
Viscra Maelstrom

BFG wrote:I guess, but it feels more rewarding when you get points and rank up from killing things :P
i don't think this is the kind of game where that system would work very well with. unless you mod it, but the game's still at its infancy and hasn't even been fully released yet, so i think it's a bit too early to talk about modifying the gameplay when we've only got a teaser of the experience so far. and besides, i struggle to see how leveling up in this game would work. the game's more of a homage to early 90s FPS games than it is to Borderlands.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Captain J wrote:
BFG wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:why? RPG mechanics have little place in an old-school first-person shooter.
if RPG system is outta the FPS place, why not adding the scores and hall of fame system? i think serious sam worked with it.
Yeah those score points from Serious Sam feel very retro, that's more along the lines of what i'm thinking, many retro games was to keep score, most of the FPS games you had to wait until the end of the level to see though, even Wolfenstein 3D you'd go around picking up useless treasure just to get points.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Level progression, man. It's all been set up to be an immersive adventure. If that isn't roleplay, I don't know what is.
BFG

Post by BFG »

I also would have liked a lil shop to buy some gadgets :mrgreen:
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

...and that would break the progression. :|
Viscra Maelstrom

not to be sour here or anything, but Square is not the kind of game that would work with these kinds of mechanics. maybe if it got modded after it got finished, but as of right now, it's an old-school FPS with a linear progression and some exploration along the road. (a shop with little shapey-shapes running it would be really cute, though. maybe as a kind of decoration in a level, but the first episode's already been finished, and i don't know if there's gonna be anymore city-themed levels for future episodes)

also, on another note, how do you get to the secret level, anyway? i never figured that out.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Let me tell you about my Episode 2 wishes. Well, wish.
This being the BUILD influenced mod that it is, I bet there's a chance that Square might run into a Jetpack of some sort. Dunno about free flight but a double jump or something similar would fit right in. (Complete with a special pickup HUD face. Wink wink.) Double the jump, double the puns. ;)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

jetpack in episode 2, huh? i bet in episode 3, he will ride the big arse mech or destuctinator for against with the great threat and fights!

but it would take a lot of codding works, though. grabbing some of ed's morph patches from lizard squad would work.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:also, on another note, how do you get to the secret level, anyway? i never figured that out.
You need to find the yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine...
Viscra Maelstrom

a double jump power-up would be cool beans. there's already a lot of jumping around that it could make for some nice platforming moments, and maybe some dastardly secrets hiding in well-hid spots. also, thanks Gez, i'll be on the look out for any yellow subs when i play this again. :p

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”