[V1.3] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
zrrion the insect

Re: [RELEASE] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1

Post by zrrion the insect »

This mod is still looking great, however,
1: Cake those fish.
2 and so on: I usually play on UV or HMP for mods and this was enough to push me to play an the first two skills. Woolie's post a few up pretty much says everything I'd recommend about fixing it. Part of this may have been that I felt that the later levels were a tad cramped and little maze like. I got lost a lot. Not sure if this is just me or what. I was also a bit sad that you couldn't talk to the other purple shapes in a manner similar to the peasants in strife. It seems like a thing that you should be able to do.
Other than these things, I loved the game.
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

Just finished it today, had a shitload of fun with it. I wrote a review for it, and I'm definitely looking forward to future episodes of this. nice work!

Also just to chip in, I don't think the game was really that difficult at all. If you struggled with it, that's what the lower skill levels are there for. I don't understand why you would ask to nerf the harder skill levels (it's not Doom in anycase but it's own game) when you can just move it down a notch.
DominicWhite

Post by DominicWhite »

It's kinda funny that so many old-school Doom players have been exclusively playing on Hard mode, often with no quicksaves or even sometimes with pistol-only starts, and now that modders are starting to make new campaigns balanced around Normal difficulty, it's biting them in the ass.

Adapt. Swallow pride. Drop down to Normal difficulty. Hard is meant to be just that.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

DominicWhite wrote:It's kinda funny that so many old-school Doom players have been exclusively playing on Hard mode, often with no quicksaves or even sometimes with pistol-only starts, and now that modders are starting to make new campaigns balanced around Normal difficulty, it's biting them in the ass.

Adapt. Swallow pride. Drop down to Normal difficulty. Hard is meant to be just that.
it doesn't really help though that the Doom mentality is to play on Ultra-Violence for the experience meant to have when playing the mod. admittedly, this isn't a PWAD for Doom, but it's a entirely different game made with its engine. Hard mode on Square wasn't too bad, though; it's basically balanced to make you gain a lot of resources quickly, then lose them as you fend off the hordes. ammo and health aren't that bad, and the only place where i had to load my game several times was when getting a key on E1M5, i think, on a hanging platform, and then you get closed in a room with two Cylons and two hitscanners that can kill you easily. other than that, it wasn't too frustrating, only rather challenging.

i will admit, however, that it's very ironic that such a cute-looking game can be such a goddamn hardass. :p
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

I thought I was gonna hate this, based on the MSPaint visual style and the pre-release screenshots.

Boy howdy, was I ever wrong.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Woolie Wool wrote:
Spoiler:
Nope. The whole adventure's too square (HAW HAW) for me. Cutting down on the ultra-violence means I lose interest.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11

Post by Woolie Wool »

Slax wrote: Cutting down on the ultra-violence means I lose interest.
Inb4 Brutal Square.
EZSPECIAL

Post by EZSPECIAL »

So any idea why certain parts of my game are in Portuguese? It's my native language alright but I don't know why the game thought it was, my Windows is English, my everything is English. If anyone knows how to change it to English it would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: Next time I should remember to google ZDOOM language before asking nub questions
Last edited by EZSPECIAL on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i know that the Cuba Cola vending machine is supposed to be a pun and all, but, thing is, there IS such a thing as Cuba Cola here in Sweden. :p

Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Just tried it, and I must say I like it a lot. The aesthetics and music are both very nice and fitting. Looking forward to the rest. :)
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11

Post by Woolie Wool »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i know that the Cuba Cola vending machine is supposed to be a pun and all, but, thing is, there IS such a thing as Cuba Cola here in Sweden. :p

But is it made with communism?
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

I found an issue with menudef that only shows up if you use a modified recent git build to play. In gameplay options jump, crouch, and freelook are using incorrect values. In the case of jump and crouch, it shows up as unknown. I fixed it on my end by changing a few lines to match menudef in zdoom.pk3. This won't need to be fixed unless you use a git build.
Last edited by jpalomo on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

Echoing the difficulty spike starting at Map 3; there are a lot of niggling issues that keep this from being really good stuff. If it wasn't those effing fish, it's the floods of flying enemies and guys shooting through walls you can't see. Still though, the puns, the deliciously horrible puns. I love them.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Steve1664 wrote:Echoing the difficulty spike starting at Map 3; there are a lot of niggling issues that keep this from being really good stuff. If it wasn't those effing fish, it's the floods of flying enemies and guys shooting through walls you can't see. Still though, the puns, the deliciously horrible puns. I love them.
The Yellow Paintball shotgun does very well against the Anglefishes. :D

I'm on the 4th map right now, and I found ammo and health to be adequate so far (playing on the UV difficulty).
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Woolie Wool wrote:
Slax wrote: Cutting down on the ultra-violence means I lose interest.
Inb4 Brutal Square.
Was actually considering unpacking all the enemy sprites and goring up the deaths some. Probably not gonna happen though. Would really need to fondle the splatter mechanics some and that's not my forte.

I'm sure someone else knows how to put a face on a square/rectangle. No takers?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”