[V1.3] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [V1.3] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

Post by Captain J »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:If I have one gripe with it so far, it is the Volt enemy and its variants: it can basically attack you from any direction, including from above and below, which strikes me as unfair as your vertical aim is limited.
I'm pretty sure you can look up and down far as you can with mouse in gzdoom, also at least cyan and yellow one is weak though. Dealing them with shotguns or oozi is advised.

EDIT: Fixed the typo, it's Gzdoom, not zdoom.
Last edited by Captain J on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Captain J wrote:I'm pretty sure you can look up and down far as you can with mouse in zdoom, also at least cyan and yellow one is weak though. Dealing them with shotguns or oozi is advised.
It does not seem like you can in Adventures of Square.

As for the Volts, I know how to deal with them; it is just that they tend to sneak up on me and their projectiles hurt a lot.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:It does not seem like you can in Adventures of Square.
Whoops, my mistake. You only can look up and down so far in gzdoom, not zdoom. If you are playing it in zdoom, it is impossible to do it. Sorry... :oops:

Anyway hitscan weapons what i said would help you a lot, they goes directly after firing unlike projectiles. So they could stop them from attacking! and yes, they are such pain in cublar difficulty, but it's helpful.

EDIT: Also yeah, like what jimmy said. That might be helpful.
Last edited by Captain J on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

You have to use mouselook/freelook to its full advantage in this game, turn it on if it's not enabled. If you're still finding aiming difficult, go to Player Setup in options and adjust auto-aim in case that helps.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

one thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't treat the difficulty levels here like the ones in Doom. if you put the game on hard, the game is going to be hard. give yourself a more reasonable challenge to begin with.

(says the guy that beat it on hard the first time he played it, WOOPS HYPOCRITE WARNING)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:one thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't treat the difficulty levels here like the ones in Doom. if you put the game on hard, the game is going to be hard. give yourself a more reasonable challenge to begin with.
I do not mind the Cubular difficulty at all: in fact, I am quite happy with the challenge, especially in comparison to The Ultimate Doom and Doom II.

It is just annoying that zdoom does not allow you to look up and down 90 degrees.
Gez

Post by Gez »

That's a limitation of the renderer. See [wiki]Y-shearing[/wiki] for technical details; but in short: looking 90° up or down with Doom's rendering logic is mathematically impossible.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

God's computer can do it. He has to use a custom build to remove the cap, though. ():)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:one thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't treat the difficulty levels here like the ones in Doom. if you put the game on hard, the game is going to be hard. give yourself a more reasonable challenge to begin with.
I do not mind the Cubular difficulty at all: in fact, I am quite happy with the challenge, especially in comparison to The Ultimate Doom and Doom II.

It is just annoying that zdoom does not allow you to look up and down 90 degrees.
Forgive me for possibly patronising question but did you see the GL version of the game? It's powered by GZDoom so you get full vertical aiming, and is available on the site. Second download down.
http://adventuresofsquare.com/downloads.php
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

hey jimmy wich version do you recommend the most to someone who dislikes gzdoom but wants the full experience?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Well, either download is still the "full experience", but if you're a fan of the software renderer like myself, with all its solid pixels and y-shearing and limited colormap (what's not to love? :P) then go with that. Otherwise go with the GL version, if you want smooth graphics and unlimited colors with high customisability in your display options.

Neither version is different gameplay-wise, you just get a different renderer.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

i'll go with the software version then. thanks :)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Jimmy wrote:Forgive me for possibly patronising question but did you see the GL version of the game? It's powered by GZDoom so you get full vertical aiming, and is available on the site. Second download down.
http://adventuresofsquare.com/downloads.php
Really? I was not aware of that. I am going to check it out right away. Thanks for the heads-up!

EDIT: The only problem is that it requires me to start from scratch... :blergh:
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

DANGER!
Full experience involves cows.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

So don't have a cow when you can think fast to play the game in your likable way!

Anyway, i prefer GL mode. If your computer can handle it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”