[V1.3] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Zombie Killer

Re: [V1.3] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Jimmy wrote:Otherwise go with the GL version, if you want smooth graphics and unlimited colors with high customisability in your display options.
You could combine both versions if you use GZDoom and have a launcher that changes the vid_renderer CVAR
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

I've been replaying this, it's even more fun than I remember it (my Doom-fu having improved since 2014 probably helps as well). One thing that bugs me is the inability to jump immediately after landing makes fluidly leaping from platform to platform without stopping impossible, and has caused me quite a few ignominious deaths. Would it be possible to make an ACS script that could allow the player to bunny-hop Quake-style?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Woolie Wool wrote:Would it be possible to make an ACS script that could allow the player to bunny-hop Quake-style?
Sadly, no. You've hit your head on the hardcoded ceiling, here.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Practice should help to jump and climb up easily. And besides, Square is not so quaking than a ranger after all! Hehahh!...Sorry.
Deviluke Roy

The Adventures of Square (TAS): Episode 2

Post by Deviluke Roy »

Hey, are ye squares working on TAS: episode 2?

Also, has anyone done a TAS of TAS?
Captain J

Re: The Adventures of Square (TAS): Episode 2

Post by Captain J »

Deviluke Roy wrote:Hey, are ye squares working on TAS: episode 2?
Check out their twitter account.
Also, has anyone done a TAS of TAS?
Not yet, but some lad made the full Episode 1 playthrough.

So, be there and be square!
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

whatever happened to the tutorial level in this game? running it with GZDoom, there's no option to select it in the menu.

also, i don't know if i ever mentioned this, but while Cuba Cola is meant to be a pun, it IS an actual, real soda that exists in Sweden, if copyright is an issue.

lastly, i've always found it difficult to understand what everyone is saying in this mod. the voices are too low and very easy for me to not hear what they're saying, especially during the final level and a couple of Square's one-liners. maybe there could be some subtitles added to this?
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:whatever happened to the tutorial level in this game? running it with GZDoom, there's no option to select it in the menu.

also, i don't know if i ever mentioned this, but while Cuba Cola is meant to be a pun, it IS an actual, real soda that exists in Sweden, if copyright is an issue.

lastly, i've always found it difficult to understand what everyone is saying in this mod. the voices are too low and very easy for me to not hear what they're saying, especially during the final level and a couple of Square's one-liners. maybe there could be some subtitles added to this?
Tutorial still can be accessed through console by typing ,,map training''.
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:whatever happened to the tutorial level in this game? running it with GZDoom, there's no option to select it in the menu.
We ditched it (since version 1.1) because it was obsoleted by the first map, which is where the tutorial should be. It's still in the game if you are feeling nostalgic ["map training"], but it will not be maintained. We felt if people couldn't figure out how to play by playing it, then we haven't done our job. The absence of the tutorial level has not been an issue, so far.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:also, i don't know if i ever mentioned this, but while Cuba Cola is meant to be a pun, it IS an actual, real soda that exists in Sweden, if copyright is an issue.
We're aware. Haven't done anything about it, yet.
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:lastly, i've always found it difficult to understand what everyone is saying in this mod. the voices are too low and very easy for me to not hear what they're saying, especially during the final level and a couple of Square's one-liners. maybe there could be some subtitles added to this?
Subtitles are added to what we can add them to, and are enabled via the options menu. The one-liners will always be a problem in this regard. Besides, if they were subtitled somehow, things would get annoying really fast.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

MTrop wrote:We ditched it (since version 1.1) because it was obsoleted by the first map, which is where the tutorial should be. It's still in the game if you are feeling nostalgic ["map training"], but it will not be maintained. We felt if people couldn't figure out how to play by playing it, then we haven't done our job. The absence of the tutorial level has not been an issue, so far.
Sounds reasonable. But the beginners will not find nor don't realize it is in there. So i'm thinking about secret message or final word in ending about this map. What do you think?
Cuba cola? Why not Cubla Cola?
Subtitles are added to what we can add them to, and are enabled via the options menu. The one-liners will always be a problem in this regard. Besides, if they were subtitled somehow, things would get annoying really fast.
That should be again, reasonable. Anyway I agree that what they're actually saying. For example, Hard hat jerk says What the?! But to me, it sound like Way to go!

I dunno, because of accent, i guess.
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Cubic-ola.

I'd come up with a witty tagline to go with it, but I got nothin'.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

MTrop wrote:
Viscra Maelstrom wrote:also, i don't know if i ever mentioned this, but while Cuba Cola is meant to be a pun, it IS an actual, real soda that exists in Sweden, if copyright is an issue.
Suppose RectaCola doesn't have the same ring to it. :P
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

plus RectaCola sounds waaaaay more inappropriate if you add an extra "L" to it. :P
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

That's the joke, yes.
cambertian

Post by cambertian »

Cuboid Cola, maybe?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”