[V1.3] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [V1.3] The Adventures of Square: Episode 1!

Post by Jimmy »

_mental_ wrote:These warnings were always there. The game type is Doom under the hood.
I think the only way to get rid of them (without changing source code and/or menudef inside zdoom.pk3) is to make small empty textures with these names.
Looks like they appear in the .exe version as well.

We're already using a modified zdoom.pk3 with that, so I guess that'd be the elegant option - if it also worked for the end-users'-ZDoom-compatible version... bah.

Pretty sure those errors only started appearing come 2.8.1. Was something changed in zdoom.pk3's MENUDEF definitions lately?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Jimmy wrote:Pretty sure those errors only started appearing come 2.8.1. Was something changed in zdoom.pk3's MENUDEF definitions lately?
Can't say when they started to appear but the warnings are here with 2.8.0.
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

They started appearing in a build before 2.8.0. I didn't think anything of it since they weren't errors. Our MENUDEF does not even make reference to these lumps, so I'm chalking it up to engine oversight.
Gez wrote:What is that "code fragmentation" thing? Is it just that ZDoom and GZDoom were compiled with different versions of FMOD Ex?
Yeah. You can't use one DLL with the other, or each gives an error, and you get no sound. Not the case with previous official releases.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

MTrop wrote:They started appearing in a build before 2.8.0. I didn't think anything of it since they weren't errors. Our MENUDEF does not even make reference to these lumps, so I'm chalking it up to engine oversight.
How about adding the following to TEXTURES.base file?

Code: Select all

texture M_DOOM, 1, 1 { NullTexture }
texture M_NGAME, 1, 1 { NullTexture }
texture M_OPTION, 1, 1 { NullTexture }
texture M_LOADG, 1, 1 { NullTexture }
texture M_SAVEG, 1, 1 { NullTexture }
texture M_QUITG, 1, 1 { NullTexture }
texture M_EPISOD, 1, 1 { NullTexture }
texture M_NEWG, 1, 1 { NullTexture }
texture M_SKILL, 1, 1 { NullTexture }
Works for me (tm)
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

Works for me, too! Thanks, mental.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

You might be able to shave a few bytes by using 1x1 transparent Doom GFX. 13 bytes apiece, though that includes overhead for the file entry. It would also be slightly messier, so probably not worth it. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

Given that "texture M_" and ", 1, 1 { NullTexture }" are repeated, they'll get compressed pretty well. Note that any file in a zip entry has a local file header, size 28+ bytes (28 bytes without counting name filed and extra data field, which have variable size), so with the file approach you get 34+ byte per file without even counting the compressed data, and unless you do a "solid archive" the fact that their content is identical will not allow further compression. Bottom line: I'm pretty sure the file size is smaller with the texture system.
Turret49

Post by Turret49 »

Hi, I came across a bug while playing. On E1A7 (the nonlinear city level), I had collected all the keys and was searching for the last secret, after a while of checking powerups I ignored I found the final secret was that Hotsauce power-up that makes you run really fast and invincible. Having finished with the level I rushed to the exit with the powerup on, and left while I was still on fire.

When the next level (E1A8) loaded I found I was completely invincible, and turning god mode on or off didn't fix it, the game still thought I was invincible from the Hotsauce powerup in the previous level, though I wasn't on fire any more.
Spoiler:
jeans477

Post by jeans477 »

Awesome mod, really fantastic level and enemy design. The HUD looks great too, but could you add scaling options to the HUD if possible? If I Stretch the full-screen HUD its a bit too big and kinda overlaps the weapon sprites but when not stretched its too small.
A solution is to use the Alternate HUD, but it is not as pretty as the Status bar and fullscreen HUD. Also the Alternate HUD lacks the "Goonade throwing strength" meter and the Goonade counter.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Great mod, though grenades feel... Wonky?

I expected they would work on crowds, but instead it does high damage to a single target, and jack shit to everyone else.

I think it might be worth adjusting the grenades performance, or at least letting us know its a power hitter and not a crowd pleaser.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

as i know, goonade's goo DOES hurts the enemies on the ground. if those goo piles were well splattered widely, it might hurt them plenty.
MTrop

Post by MTrop »

Turret49 wrote:Hi, I came across a bug while playing. On E1A7 (the nonlinear city level), I had collected all the keys and was searching for the last secret, after a while of checking powerups I ignored I found the final secret was that Hotsauce power-up that makes you run really fast and invincible. Having finished with the level I rushed to the exit with the powerup on, and left while I was still on fire.

When the next level (E1A8) loaded I found I was completely invincible, and turning god mode on or off didn't fix it, the game still thought I was invincible from the Hotsauce powerup in the previous level, though I wasn't on fire any more.
Spoiler:
There might be a bug in how the God flag is set between how powerups set it and how the player freeze ACS calls happen. The place where the script that removes active powerups is called might need adjusting. Good find!
jeans477 wrote:Awesome mod, really fantastic level and enemy design. The HUD looks great too, but could you add scaling options to the HUD if possible? If I Stretch the full-screen HUD its a bit too big and kinda overlaps the weapon sprites but when not stretched its too small.
A solution is to use the Alternate HUD, but it is not as pretty as the Status bar and fullscreen HUD. Also the Alternate HUD lacks the "Goonade throwing strength" meter and the Goonade counter.
I recall that there is a separate set of definition files for the GZDoom alternate HUD, though I'm not sure the strength meter is possible to do in it. It's not as scriptable as the regular HUD. We'll look into the HUD scaling.
mumblemumble wrote:Great mod, though grenades feel... Wonky?

I expected they would work on crowds, but instead it does high damage to a single target, and jack shit to everyone else.

I think it might be worth adjusting the grenades performance, or at least letting us know its a power hitter and not a crowd pleaser.
Lobbing a goonade at a specific dude does slightly more damage due to the goonade impact itself, but the same amount of blobs spawn and do the same total damage. An enemy hit with the goonade will eat a lot of the goo, so that's a lot of damage dealt to huge targets. It might be worth revisiting for balancing.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Definitely, i always used goonades for triangle tanks because anything else seemed a waste.

Even tossing it into a crowd of jerks only splaters 3, or 4 at most, which really doesn't seem worth it. That is assuming they are squished up like sardines, otherwise you can easily only kill one.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I really love this TC, but I am having a hard time finding all the secrets.

Can anyone help me there?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Check waterfalls frequently. Every one you see, possibly.
Jump around a lot.
Go for areas you think might be just out of reach. They may be accessible.
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”