"ARCHIE" [Release 1]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: "ARCHIE" [Release 1]

Postby bimshwel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:23 pm

what is the level called? what does it say on the map screen?
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby memeboi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:01 am

MAP8END3
memeboi

Postby bimshwel » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:45 pm

Oh it might be a gag. There probably isn't any level leading to it and it is there only to mess with people who tried to warp around. Pez was always talking about putting in things like that which most people wouldn't see. I will check on it later.
bimshwel

Postby bimshwel » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:23 pm

yikes what a horror. I only vaguely remember that level but the atrocious randomly-restarting background music is too familiar and too cruel, but fortunately easy to mute.

After passing through the level a certain number of times it starts insulting you for not looking up or behind things and indeed in the first room is a button on the ceiling that you have to shoot. Or rather you have to shoot at least one side of it but with the weird field of view, trying to do one results in the other anyway. You can do that on your first visit to the level without waiting for the hint. That then opens up little bits of the ensuing rooms, each with large 1994-style switch walls, seven in all. one in the chaingunner/hellknight room, two in the cacodemon room, one in the pain elemental room, one in the arrow hallway, the opposite direction of the hole in the ground, then one behind an invisible wall in the lower left of the scripted marine room, then one final switch in the upper left of the invisible demon and rabid floor room. this is particularly cruel because if you miss any of the first five you can't go back (without cheating, anyway, which I went ahead and did) and there is no indication that any of switches do anything, or that you are done when you activate the seventh, but afterward the exit WILL finally go to the next level. I had to look in doombuilder sixth switche (i somehow checked behind every fake wall but that one), then was still stuck, went back into doombuilder and found the first switch. Which has a bfg beside it to help with the monsters, I suppose but it isn't nearly enough; I know because i already cheated to get one and still had to go invincible. For some reason all the monsters were in fast mode, and i am not sure if it is always that way or if I messed something up warping there, even though beating the monsters is quite frustrating enough with the
Code: Select allExpand view
script 5 ENTER{
consolecommand("fov 155");
in place.

And so in conclusion, that level is a disasterpiece but it is winnable, in a sense.
bimshwel

Postby Bezhael » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:37 am

This is very interesting and quite amusing. Especially the internet drama that is depicted in it. This seems to be a combination of DoomWorld Forums, Community Is Falling, Lilith, and Terry Wads. Very nice combination. I would consider this a Joke Wad.
Bezhael

Postby bimshwel » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:55 pm

originally it was about or made for the /g 4chan forum but pez came to resent a lot of people before it was finished.

meanwhile he kept making and showing me weird nonsense like this
bimshwel

Postby m1lk » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:33 am

trying to run this on GZDoom 4.6 and I get this error. any ideas?

https://ibb.co/8bfNbQr
m1lk

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby bimshwel » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:28 am

I have no idea, it might be worth taking to the bugs section of the forum since it probably happens in other wads also and Pez sure isn't going to come back and look into it; I have not heard from him in five years!
bimshwel

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects