"ARCHIE" [Release 1]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PFL

Re: "ARCHIE" [Release 1]

Post by PFL »

I feel like it's already thursday here. I will try this ARCHIE but I hope I need a shotgun more than a Bible
pez

Post by pez »

CWolf wrote:
Evil Mittens wrote: if you 100% ruin the forum nobody will be able to see your fud!
I've got only 98%... Why this mod too cruel to me?! :cry:
I've fixed this, you only have to go over 60% or so when it then lets you go to the next area. I should have expected everyone would want to have it say 100%.

There's 25 other levels or so after that one and I haven't seen any posts that had massive problems outside of using dev builds, so I'm hoping everyone got through the rest? Yes, no, maybe so?
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Hate to necro, but is this the... final release, or anything? I don't know how to go about the Dream Journal levels and it feels as if there might be more left to be done with this wad.
That, or maybe it being 'incomplete' is integral to its central theme.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I don't remember the dream journal level but I had to play all of them multiple times while testing this so if you showed me a screenshot it might trigger some recollection.

I do not expect any further releases; I haven't heard from Pez in five years! He was so sure he would win a "cacoward" that the entire concept of doom and anything 2d became dead to him, then he made a game in unity called Telemetry and was mad that Steam greenlight people weren't instantly in love with it and this and that and I don't know what he is doing now!
He was initially planning to help me with my doom stuff after Archie since all the programming confounds me while he seemed able to do anything with it.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

bimshwel wrote:I don't remember the dream journal level but I had to play all of them multiple times while testing this so if you showed me a screenshot it might trigger some recollection.

I do not expect any further releases; I haven't heard from Pez in five years! He was so sure he would win a "cacoward" that the entire concept of doom and anything 2d became dead to him, then he made a game in unity called Telemetry and was mad that Steam greenlight people weren't instantly in love with it and this and that and I don't know what he is doing now!
He was initially planning to help me with my doom stuff after Archie since all the programming confounds me while he seemed able to do anything with it.
The first dream journal level with the 3 white rooms, I think. "a" appears top left, but I don't know what it means.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

ah ha now that I have actually gotten the wad to run again I do see that there is a starting option for something called "dream journal." I do not recall having seen that before! looking at the level's scripts I determined that you have to walk off the edge 30 times to advance the level, then wait a few seconds. which is a ridiculous amount of times to expect anybody to try that, even for this wad, especially with the sluggish movement speed. I set turbo to 250 and it still took me a few minutes, but it did work.
memeboi

Post by memeboi »

I just created a subreddit for this https://www.reddit.com/r/ArchieWAD/
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

does anybody really care about it? Has anyone apart from me actually finished it?
memeboi

Post by memeboi »

I "finished" it in the sense that I played all the level even if I don't know how to finish some
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

there are definitely some arcane portions of it. Did you have to look inside the wad to find what all the levels were called so that you could warp to them? I noticed that there were not many, if any, mapXX type level names.
memeboi

Post by memeboi »

Yes, when I got to the cycles map i got a little bit guilty but honestly I have no idea if some of them can even be completed
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I believe they all can, even if the challenges don't seem fair. I remember that Pez directly encouraged me to just use the "resurrect" command, which I had theretofore been unaware of, as often as was necessary, which to me seems counter to the idea of putting monsters in there at all. That doesn't help with stages where the goals seem unclear, of course! I don't remember anything about cycles, though, since it has been five to six years since I saw most of that. If you can tell me what specifically the level is asking you to do or say what the map name is i might be able to check on it or remember, however.
memeboi

Post by memeboi »

I don't need help with the map, the fact is that the map tells you that you shouldn't juat skip trough the levels, it just endlessly repeat every time you beat it so I don't know if it's completable
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

If it is repeating endlessly then it probably has some other intended exit, and hopefully isn't like the dream journal stage where it just wants you to do the same thing ten times. Is this a long level?
memeboi

Post by memeboi »

No it's actually pretty short, you can finish it in 30 seconds

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”