OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

4bshot - update

Postby osjclatchford » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:18 am

wow! even more thanks to you then I guess!

on another note 4bshot has been updated with better muzleflashes as shown by this crappy lo-res pic of me blasting a beastie:
4bshotbeastkill.JPG
go check out the dl link as usual to try it: https://www.mediafire.com/?vxpj4sl38v935pu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
osjclatchford

Re: OSJC's QUAKE-DIH + sgt shivers' texture-addon FINISHED

Postby Tech-Mech » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:56 pm

I remeber reading a review that ammo scarcity was an issue with Heretic (especially the shareware episode) alone so it may not be entirely the author's fault
Tech-Mech

Postby Valherran » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Tech-Mech wrote:I remeber reading a review that ammo scarcity was an issue with Heretic (especially the shareware episode) alone so it may not be entirely the author's fault

I never felt it was, people just needed to learn to use the weapons, and the right weapons for the right job.
Valherran

Postby RUNSABER » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:54 am

^This can put an end to our new-age trigger-happy inaccurate gunners of the next platoon. Good call, there is a weapon in your arsenal for a reason!
RUNSABER
Battlehammer God

Postby Gifty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:42 am

Might have said this earlier, but I'm a big fan of this mod, I just completed my virgin playthrough of Heretic with it. I know the shotty animations are something that have been under frequent revision, so I thought I'd try to help out and take a crack at them. Here's what I've got, if you're interested!

Image Image

[in handy packaged form]
Gifty
Recon'ize that smell?

Postby osjclatchford » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:57 pm

they're rather nifty there, gifty!
osjclatchford

Postby NightFright » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:01 am

By now, I have played through the first Heretic episode with this addon (weapons only, no textures) and I have to say it's making the game a lot more fun to play for me. While I have always liked Heretic's level design and setting, its rather weak weapons kinda ruined it IMHO. You always had to go for a Tome of Power if you wanted to cause decent amounts of damage.
With this mod, I am finally having a blast. Especially the super shotgun as a replacement for the crossbow is a huge upgrade and turns into the workhorse its original counterpart was supposed to be in the unmodded game.

If there is anything I'd still like to see improved, then it's cosmetic - try to fix HUD icon sizes/positions so they properly fit into the inventory slots (e.g. the Quad damage should be centered, or the nail ammo icon is too big and partially clips into the ammo counter). Maybe the grenades from the grenade launcher are also bouncing a bit too much (they feel a bit like they are made of rubber), but it's up for discussion if that justifies a change or not (if it's even possible).

Other than that, this is probably the way I will play Heretic from here on out, especially as a Quake fan. A job well done, osj!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby osjclatchford » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks NF! Glad you enjoy... as for the HUD are you playing in wide screen? This could be the prob... if so try gollghah's WS HUD in the add-on spoiler...oh, yeah. the nades are a bit flubbery compared to their quake counterpart but I found doom engine grenades personally a bit tricky in decorate so meh, they work pretty good and I'm happy with them as is truth be told...
osjclatchford

Postby NightFright » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:47 am

I have managed to properly align ammo and item icons in the original Heretic HUD, along with some pickup messages adjustments (now it tells you whether you picked up a small or large ammo box). Three actor names colliding with existing ones (leading to console error/warning messages) have been corrected. Also, nashgore.wad is now inside the mod zipfile, so it's a 2-in-1 solution. Additionally, I fixed the FLTLAVA flat which would have wrong colors if used in GZDoom for some reason. If there is interest in such a version, I can upload it here.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

*update* 26th july 2015

Postby osjclatchford » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:04 am

https://www.mediafire.com/?lysr66jhbklmg5g -update of version 5 - fixed visual on nashgore system to match heretic pallette (including corrcet definitions for chicken bloodcolour)

*edit*
and added gibs too...
osjclatchford

Postby NightFright » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:37 am

Excellent!
One thing I noticed, though: With this decoration code, the mummy ghosts seem to have kinda bright purple blood if you use ZDoom. I think it's about actor "Gutz2" with the Renderstyle Translucent / Alpha 0.4 part. Somehow the game doesn't seem to like that (even though it doesn't cause issues in other cases).

*EDIT*
Disregard, I was loading the files in the wrong order it seems. ^^
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby Woolie Wool » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:36 pm

I had made this status bar last year and lost it in a hard drive crash but fortunately I was able to reconstitute it almost perfectly!

This features a standard status bar, an inventory bar, and a rudimentary fullscreen HUD. It also replaces Corvus with Ranger, who has the appropriate Quake sounds.

Credits:
Id Software - Quake resources
TerminusEst13 - Mugshot and sndinfo entries from Samsara
MoonDrunk - smallfont
zrrion the insect - Ranger sprites

https://www.sendspace.com/file/zkylnu (535 KB)
Last edited by Woolie Wool on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woolie Wool
Call Apogee Say "Snappity!"

Discord: Woolie Wool#9878
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby wildweasel » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:11 pm

I sort of wonder if this would look nicer with QTest's unused gothic font for the HUD? I could rip that again if you like.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Legend » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:47 pm

Woolie Wool wrote:I had made this status bar last year and lost it in a hard drive crash but fortunately I was able to reconstitute it almost perfectly!

This features a standard status bar, an inventory bar, and a rudimentary fullscreen HUD. It also replaces Corvus with Ranger, who has the appropriate Quake sounds.

Credits:
Id Software - Quake resources
TerminusEst13 - Mugshot and sndinfo entries from Samsara
MoonDrunk - smallfont
zrrion the insect - Ranger sprites

https://www.sendspace.com/file/zkylnu (535 KB)

Nice hud. the items don't quite seem to fit in the slots right though. The icons are too big.

The thing as a whole is kinda huge too. Love the hud face and the whole layout.

I sort of wonder if this would look nicer with QTest's unused gothic font for the HUD? I could rip that again if you like.
I'd like to see how that looks.

What happened to the menu graphics btw for this?
Legend
I Am Hellbound

Postby wildweasel » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Legend wrote:
I'd like to see how that looks.

I believe SLADE can open the files, but here's a preview at The Cutting Room Floor.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods