Friday the 13th: Make a map-set based on the NES game.

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: Friday The 13th: Jason's Doom [New Difficulties & Graph

Post by jdredalert »

A 10,000 HP enemy would make you mostly dry all your weapons in the first attempt to kill it, considering that you don't have any real strong firearms. This could break the ballance, or make players just wander and run around without actually trying to kill Jason. And remember, Jason can kill the player with a single hit. I think it's safe to say that he is already in perfect balance.
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

jdredalert wrote:A 10,000 HP enemy would make you mostly dry all your weapons in the first attempt to kill it, considering that you don't have any real strong firearms. This could break the ballance, or make players just wander and run around without actually trying to kill Jason. And remember, Jason can kill the player with a single hit. I think it's safe to say that he is already in perfect balance.

The one hit kills are on UV difficulty and up. I'll figure out a way to make it work best. Right now, i'm just throwing around some ideas in my head. I was even thinking about having other enemies, but I feel that may take away from Jason's dreadful presence in the game. Though I still want to have his mother's head be a sub-boss in the game. Perhaps she will drop a key that will gain you access to areas that are not necessarily needed to win, but will provide useful items.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Well, in the NES game, killing his mother on the second day gives you her sweater which reduces the damage you take from Jason. You could use that.
Kontra Kommando

MetroidJunkie wrote:Well, in the NES game, killing his mother on the second day gives you her sweater which reduces the damage you take from Jason. You could use that.
That would make for an interesting custom armor actually.
D00mfan

Post by D00mfan »

Really good WAD , shame it wasn't longer. Maybe in the future you could put enemies from the NES game in, like zombies, crows, and wolves and add some more levels.
Kontra Kommando

jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Oh... even your Jason mod is now linked to the "Brutal Every-game" fever. I can't say if that was expected or unexpected, really. But is always good to see that your mod was not only noticed but also meta-modded by someone.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

He just ran Brutal Doom with it, not a meta-mod.
Video wrote:Using the mod's custom weapons, which suck and are scarce.
The custom weapons of Jason's Doom mod just aren't like the guns we love and cherish.
Crappy Jason's Doom weapons
Cool Brutal Doom weapons
"OH THE WEAPONS ARE DIFFERENT SO THEY SUCK"
"THEY'RE SO SCARCE I DON'T HAVE GODLY POWER ALL THE TIME"

I really hate this guy.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I can't tell if that guy's a troll or not. Shit-stirrer, or genuine arrogance? You decide!

Anyway, the only improvement I could think of for the weapons in this mod would be giving them an 8-bit color palette to make them fit their surroundings.
Kontra Kommando

I think the Duke Nukem' version was funny. Though, I should probably fix that exploit with the window at the very least.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:He just ran Brutal Doom with it, not a meta-mod
Oh, i see. I was posting from my phone yesterday and didn't watched the video. I thought he made his own BD patch specifically to run this mod.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Downloaded and played this very recently. This is very challenging and fun!

However, as many suggestions popped out here (like the custom armor and more parts of crystal lake), i have another one.

I REALLY liked the choice of weapons, they give a good visual to the game. But, my only suggestion is to make them all bare handed, to make it linear.

All the three weapons with doomguy's gloves (pistol, pipebombs and the shotgun) may be replaced with Duke Nukem 3D ones, or even some blood weapons, but i hate to study blood scripts by myself. I'm just pointing this because, y'know, it's strange to have a bare-handed held weapon on slot 3, and then a normal gloves weapon on slot 2.

I am waiting (and i'm sure many more guys here too) for updates!
Keep the good work, and sorry for bothering. :)
Kontra Kommando

Thanks for the suggestions! Also its nice to hear that people actually like this game, despite the fact that its rated a 5.5 out of 10 on moddb. Ultimately, that's why i ceased production on it. I refuse to invest any of my time in a project, if its going to be generally unappreciated. I suspect that people rated it poorly for

A) The graphics (Though this is idiotic for them to do so, considering the fact that the graphics are taken straight from the game that it was intended to be a homage for.

B) Its too hard, and people had rated it poorly in a state of rage. Thus you see people adding brutal doom weapons, so they can feel uber-powerful, and defeat Jason in 2 seconds; utterly destroying the experience of how the game was meant to be played.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

B is a very common problem these days. You simple cannot make some of your enemies strong, or people start complaining. A pinkie-level enemy that can stand three shotgun blasts? Absurd. (Ironic, don't you think?)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Did that guy just say that Jason Vorhees was hard to kill?

I lol'd. :lol:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”