Shadow Warrior Total Conversion 12 maps well done!!!!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Shadow Warrior Total Conversion

Post by Rachael »

Fair enough, then. :)
Lex Safonov

Re: Shadow Warrior Total Conversion

Post by Lex Safonov »

Hello my friends!
It's been a long time since my last release. In many respects, it is my graduate work at the institute that is to blame.
But this is lyrics, I want to please you with the release of the first episode!
More over - the remaining 18 maps are ready and are now at the debugging stage!

Last changes:
- Modification is now quietly connected as a resource in the doombuilder.
- Updated resource pack, more objects, scripts, maps.
- The modification itself was updated. Corrected the scale of objects \ monsters, the system of dismembering opponents / corpses has been redesigned - now it looks more colorful, but this is not the final version.
- Support for multiplayer (so far only cooperative)

Link to the pack:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bwccecma3 ... k.rar/file

Start line:
(g)zdoom.exe -file SWMapPack.pk3

The remaining files do not need to be connected, they will connect automatically.

Special thanks to Kashtanka for their help in arranging the light on maps and searching for bugs.
Also thanks to + Ku6EPyXOBEPTKA +, N00b2015 in the search bugs.

Enjoy guys!
SyntherAugustus

Re: Shadow Warrior Total Conversion - first episode release!

Post by SyntherAugustus »

This is awesome! Great work!

My only nitpick is the map names. Why can't they be numbered?

Edit: The release you posted in the above post only has 4 maps. Is there another release coming with the other 18?
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

This is really fantastic! I never even knew some of the stuff you did was possible... I'm assuming you dropped Zandronum compatibility with this release?

You may want to add air control to the MAPINFO for the maps given the default GZDoom one is wholly out of place for Shadow Warrior. As a side note, and this may be a gzdoom bug: using the ladders resets your air control.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

A couple of bugs I noticed while playing through the first level in the latest GZDoom (not checked with Zandro):

1.) Keys don't seem to appear in the statusbar HUD.
2.) The ATM next to the "PACHINKO PARLOUR" sign in the... Pachinko Parlour doesn't seem to trigger the secret opposite it opening when used.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Who wants some GZ-Wang? (i'm sorry)

anyways, any possibility for a Weapon-Mod-compatible version? like valiant: Vaccinated Edition?
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

blackfish wrote:This is awesome! Great work!

My only nitpick is the map names. Why can't they be numbered?

Edit: The release you posted in the above post only has 4 maps. Is there another release coming with the other 18?
The remaining 18 maps are ready, but require debugging. They do not have block sounds for monsters and there is no sector light. Also cards are not passed by beta testers for bugs. In the rest - the maps are completely ready. They have logic, objects, monsters, textures.
Soon I'll release them, just give me a little time. All the work I do is actually one ...
Kinsie wrote:A couple of bugs I noticed while playing through the first level in the latest GZDoom (not checked with Zandro):1.) Keys don't seem to appear in the statusbar HUD.2.) The ATM next to the "PACHINKO PARLOUR" sign in the... Pachinko Parlour doesn't seem to trigger the secret opposite it opening when used
1 - I completely forgot to fix it .... Wrapped, sorry)
2 - In the original game there is a spinning sector at this place. (G)Zdoom this supports only the polyobject + portal system. Portals do not work in a zandronum, so there is only a poly object now. (Polyobject does not have heights, it's not a sector)
Dynamo wrote:This is really fantastic! I never even knew some of the stuff you did was possible... I'm assuming you dropped Zandronum compatibility with this release?You may want to add air control to the MAPINFO for the maps given the default GZDoom one is wholly out of place for Shadow Warrior. As a side note, and this may be a gzdoom bug: using the ladders resets your air control.
The mod is compatible with zandronum, the whole emphasis was made on this port when creating it, because need multiplayer support.
About air control - thanks for saying, need to fix it.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Found a small oversight: https://vgy.me/OKexJc.mp4

EDIT: Caltrops and flash bombs can be used infinitely without consuming the items. Though it seems to only happen when you pick up more than the max amount you can carry. If you pick up 2 flashbombs and no more, they will be consumed on use.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Lex Safonov wrote: The remaining 18 maps are ready, but require debugging. They do not have block sounds for monsters and there is no sector light. Also cards are not passed by beta testers for bugs. In the rest - the maps are completely ready. They have logic, objects, monsters, textures.
Soon I'll release them, just give me a little time. All the work I do is actually one ...

Great to hear.

With all those Build games it is really frustrating sometimes. I'd really like to play them again but the mouse control of EDuke32 and related ports sucks so badly that I normally quit after a few minutes.

I wish we could get it organized to do complete GZDoom ports for all of them, but that's probably some wishful thinking... :(
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Great to hear.

With all those Build games it is really frustrating sometimes. I'd really like to play them again but the mouse control of EDuke32 and related ports sucks so badly that I normally quit after a few minutes.

I wish we could get it organized to do complete GZDoom ports for all of them, but that's probably some wishful thinking... :(
Is it legal to do that, with GZDoom's current licensing state (GPL)?

Because if it is, I'd definitely like to do that. GZDoom already has BUILD engine loaders and adding support for GRP files is a cinch. After that, all you really need is a translator for the levels, and then to implement the missing features.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, I mean making GZDoom versions of the maps, not playing the original content. That's pretty much impossible. The mapping concepts are too different.
What can be done is using that old Build map loader with the map exporter to do a quick first-step convesion of the levels, but even that'd need work.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Ah - my bad. Sorry.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Doing things in a legal (or at least more tolerated) form would likely entail creating a script or utility (ala Kaiser's WADGen) that converts assets from the original game into a format GZDoom can read, used alongside manually ported/recreated maps and code.

This would actually be fairly tricky, given that textures and sprites are interchangable in BUILD. It'd have to be developed alongside the appropriate project. Definitely not something that'd be part of the engine itself, at any rate, more for a TC like this one.

(Also, frankly, I wouldn't wish a CON parser on my worst enemy. What a nightmarish scripting language.)
Lex Safonov

Post by Lex Safonov »

The problem is that it will not be possible to create such a converter due to the stuck sectors and moving sectors. Doom engine draws all sectors "as is" in the tree, the build engine draws only those sectors in which the player is located. In this case, the maximum that can be done is to add the Map2Wad utility so that it can import textures \ sprites into the maps itself, this would simplify the work at times.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Tribeam once created such a tool, many years ago, that took all textures from duke3d.grp and built a .pk3 with it. Regardless, such TCs would as said require pretty much exclusive, dedicated work as this one did. So I guess the one thing we can say is that we look forward to more TCs in the future once you're done with this one :lol:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”