RELEASE: Wolfenstein 3D TC Version 3.1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Per-Scan

Re: Wolfenstein 3D TC (New: Co-op, pushwalls in GZDoom)

Post by Per-Scan »

Kilian, I seem to have a problem downloading your file. While trying to unpack the 7z file I get "Unsupported Compression Method errors". I have downloaded it from 2 of your links in both Chrome and IE but this always happens... Any ideas? Thanks!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I too am getting the compression method problem (I've tried opening the file with both 7zip and Winzip).

[edit]WinRAR worked[/edit]
Per-Scan

Post by Per-Scan »

Taking my lead from Enjay I installed WinRAR and what do you know... it worked. Would've been nice if it worked in the 2 applications I already had installed! :P
Kilian

Post by Kilian »

This problem:

with archive appears in old version of 7-Zip (4.65). Newest one (9.15 beta) unpacks archive without any problems And yes, WinRAR works correctly too. Sorry for this. :|
perfectpitchrob

Post by perfectpitchrob »

When I go to play spear of destiny, i get this error message -

Script error. "SOD.pk3:actors/sod/enemies.txt" Line 1:
Parent type 'WolfRocket' not found in WolfRocketSOD
Script error. "SOD.pk3:actors/sod/enemies.txt" Line 36:
Parent type 'HanseGrosseEasy' not found in TransGrosseEasy
Script error. "SOD.pk3:actors/sod/enemies.txt" Line 529
Parent type 'FatFaceEasy' not found in BarnacleWilhelmEasy

Execution could not continue

3 errors while parsing decorate scripts

I don't understand why this doesn't work but wolf3d does. Is there a specific way this needs to be played?

*edit - I've also found in wolf3d that some item sprites are miniturized. (ex - the plants in vases in E3m3, and the blood/bone stains).
Kilian

Post by Kilian »

Hmmm. Looks likes, something wrong at game archive files, because no one gets these errors. Try to re-download/reinstall mod :)
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

perfectpitchrob wrote:When I go to play spear of destiny, i get this error message -

Script error. "SOD.pk3:actors/sod/enemies.txt" Line 1:
Parent type 'WolfRocket' not found in WolfRocketSOD
Script error. "SOD.pk3:actors/sod/enemies.txt" Line 36:
Parent type 'HanseGrosseEasy' not found in TransGrosseEasy
Script error. "SOD.pk3:actors/sod/enemies.txt" Line 529
Parent type 'FatFaceEasy' not found in BarnacleWilhelmEasy

Execution could not continue

3 errors while parsing decorate scripts

I don't understand why this doesn't work but wolf3d does. Is there a specific way this needs to be played?

*edit - I've also found in wolf3d that some item sprites are miniturized. (ex - the plants in vases in E3m3, and the blood/bone stains).
Make sure you're running SoD with the Wolf3D resources in the same folder. Many decorate entries, textures, etc. are inherited from the regular resources (at least in the original TC).
perfectpitchrob

Post by perfectpitchrob »

Got it to work a while back (was missing one of the files in the main folder). I like how it looks and haven't had any problems with it gameplay wise
phi108

Post by phi108 »

Any plans on an update to make polyobject pushwalls that work in ZDoom? Some recent SVN changes make it possible without bleeding or rendering errors, I think, so I'd love to play this with pushwalls working as intended in the future :D
paradox_tn

Post by paradox_tn »

Kilian, very nice detailed work you did and I enjoyed playing your mod. 8-)
Just one thing, I don't see enemies bullet casting ? :?
D2 Mod Player

Post by D2 Mod Player »

Kilian, thanks for posting those comments on GzDoom so people know subtle transparencies and 3D model caching are an issue. I actually did notice that on my now a week ago replaced single core machine.

I'm sure I'll post shots at some point, but so far I haven't even done it on full Wolf 3D sites. I don't want people to get over-enthused when I can't even claim to constructing a website yet. If I get desperate there should be no need to worry though. At worst I'll release it as legal P2P. You'll still need the original games to play it and what not. Even major OEM's are using P2P to save on bandwidth costs now and quite a common practice. Especially if they are selling or giving out free videos. They even do it for PC patches now from what I understand.

I'll probably want to post shots when I start working on it again, so I can feel it will be completed soom. I may change my mind though. Despite being what I'd call 90 percent done, that 10 percent is an enormous amount of work. :trippy:

Right now I'm playing with my Babylon 5 DVD's and figured out how to get Blu-ray quality remasters with Hand Brake. It took 2 weeks of playing around before I was sure I had the best picture and understood the whole package through trial and error. That software is so advanced I'd be surprised if an official remaster in the future could beat it. Transformed Exhaustive mode adds more frames when it's jittery and makes flawless video. But you need 6 cores to do it in 4-5 hours at 3.2 ghz (overclock). DDR3 1600mhz. :P
Kilian

Post by Kilian »

Thank you all for your positive comments!

phi108, for me - nope, i'm not planning to do anything with software version of TC.

paradox_tn, yes, enemy's casing does not realized at this moment. I will work on it some later.

D2 Mod Player, looks likes, you have big plans :) I can't say anything about legality, not because i'm living in Russia ... Anyway, I think that Wolfenstein 3D is now something like "abandoned-ware". Everyone, ofcurse, must decide for themselfs - how to get it.

I'm not very familiar with new games -- preferring good-old games, on that I grew up. First time I saw a wolf3d when I was only 5 years old (i'm 25 now). :)

Some good news about my work:

- HUD Chaingun completely redesigned! It's remodeled from RtCW's Venom. Screenshots: model itself, ingame view 1, ingame view 2, and demonstration video at YouTube. Firing animation is now synchronized with sound. Gun smoke is also realized.
:wub:

- At last I get idea how to hide secrets from map. Examples: I'm looking at secret wall, I'm inside secret area. This will require manual setting of line parameters ("Hidden") in secrets, but it's good, because I want to finally fix some bugs with the original TC with overlapping sectors in some door areas.

- New bosses sprites from MacWolf. As a little bonus - added soft shadows under them. Uber Mutant's color remapped to original SOD look (screenshot).

And finally, my TODO list:

- There is a 2-5% chance that any ceiling lamp may blink in an arbitrary time for a split second (I need some help with A_Jump code, because I can't get it work correctly :S)
- Different sprites (a randomly) for floor plants, but they must be kept in the same style
- Improve sound of pressing lifts lever
- Good looking special effects for smoke and projectiles (completely new, not crappy looking sprites like now)
- Redraw flamethrower and rocket launcher
- Make automatic knife hitting, like in original game
- Improve some skies. Maybe, I have to take away some skyboxes
- Somehow improve blood drops
- Slightly better view of the nature (grass, trees), but without fanaticism, because player in the game almost does not look at nature.
- Restore the ability to run original TC (not really now... it's impossible now due to some DECORATE conflicts)

P.S. I love this sprite ^_^
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Wow... this keeps getting better and better...

I check back on this topic every now and then and everytime I take a look the graphics/maps/coding gets more detailed and better x3

Wonder how far you're off from a update/release/thing
phi108

Post by phi108 »

Kilian wrote:phi108, for me - nope, i'm not planning to do anything with software version of TC.
My suggestion was for AFADoomer. Though I suppose a polyobject update could wait until a new official ZDoom release, I look forward to it.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

phi108 wrote:
Kilian wrote:phi108, for me - nope, i'm not planning to do anything with software version of TC.
My suggestion was for AFADoomer. Though I suppose a polyobject update could wait until a new official ZDoom release, I look forward to it.
Eventually, it will come... Not until I have free time, though... Really, it'll be rolling back to code from an older version of the conversion tool, where Polyobjects were set up, I just need to sit down with it.

Plus there are a couple of other bugfixes that I need to make.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”