RELEASE: Wolfenstein 3D TC Version 3.1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

don't worry about that-= just convert those midi files to mus and let it play using the opl2 synthesis.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Excellent! That worked GREAT! All of the music sounds just like the original now... (Well, except for the percussion...)

Thanks Csonicgo...

[EDIT]OK, So apparently it didn't work.... It definitely sounded different last night... Odd.[/EDIT]
Last edited by AFADoomer on Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

cutmanmike wrote:Why is everyone going retro avatar anyway?!
I think I started that recently when I came back and decided to use my old southpark avatar that I havent even looked at since like, summer. :P
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

This is possibly the best direct conversion of Wolf 3D I've ever seen. A few things to perfect it:

- The walls need to be sliding. You can do this with polyobjs (I've done it in the past) and we'll be glad to help you get them working if you have questions. For something as easy as this, they should be a breeze.

- The doors need to be sliding as well. While you can't make them paper-thin, you can make them just a few units thick and have them slide "into" the wall. That'd be really, *really* cool.

- Why are all the secret walls pushed in a unit or two? It makes the secrets too easy to find, IMO. Also, the walls need to be marked "secret" on the map so you can't see right into them. (Of course if you really wanted to emulate Wolf 3D, ALL the walls should be marked secret. :twisted:)

- Some sounds are still Doom sounds. Off the top of my head... the pain sound, the "use fail" sound, the pistol sound (though they might just sound the same in both game), etc.

- The lives counter is b0rked, which I think you already mentioned. Even when autosave is off, your lives reset to 3 every time you respawn.
Risen

Post by Risen »

HotWax wrote:- The doors need to be sliding as well. While you can't make them paper-thin, you can make them just a few units thick and have them slide "into" the wall. That'd be really, *really* cool.
Actually you can. You can make a polyobject that consists of only one line, sometimes referred to as 2-sided polyobject. Making it impossible to shoot through and also impossible for monsters to see through might be a bit tougher, but perhaps the block everything type is enough?
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Bashe wrote:
cutmanmike wrote:Why is everyone going retro avatar anyway?!
Heh, I don't even remember what my first avatar was. I do remember the one after (Ed banging his head on the ground).
Hey, that Sub-Zero image was the avatar I first used when I came to the boards.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

Really? Well, I'm really starting to like Mortal Kombat, so I just put Sub-Zero in place of Marth.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Yes we were talking about how to do the MUSIC properly?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Hotwax - Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't even remembered the pain sound... I'm waiting (hopefully) for custom weapons so that I can change the weapon firing sounds to the correct ones. Right now, I can't change one without changing them all.

Polyobjects are no problem as far as making them, and sometimes they work just fine... Other times, though, they push in, and look fine, but when you walk up to them, they disappear (but still block you).

I've experimented with various ways to do the doors... I may try polyobjects there also...
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Sure you can change them, dig around inside sndinfo in the zdoom wad file.

By the way, did you check out that IMF music player in that thread I linked?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Right now, I can change the pistol and the chaingun just fine. Unfortunately, the Shotgun replacement uses the Chaingun code pointer to fire... So it uses the Chaingun sound.

I could sub in a weapon from another game, I guess, but I was planning on just waiting a while for custum weapons...

The Winamp plugin still doesn't recreate the percussion correctly. And there's no way (that I could tell) to export the file in another format, anyway (I don't use Winamp normally, so I may be mistaken.
Arcane

Post by Arcane »

Cheats plus running out of ammo equals suddenly having a weirdass plasma gun. o.o
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

What cheats are you using? Are you sure you don't have another .wad loading?

If I use 'give all', then nothing like that happens. The slots are set up in KEYCONF so that weapons 5-7 are empty...

The Plasma gun WOULD look wierd if you somehow got it, since the pallete has changed...
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

AFADoomer wrote:Polyobjects are no problem as far as making them, and sometimes they work just fine... Other times, though, they push in, and look fine, but when you walk up to them, they disappear (but still block you).
It sounds like you're doing something wrong. Make sure the polyobj is entirely in its own sector and stays there at all times! Make sure that the area where the polyobj will come to a rest after being used is inside that very same sector (don't just let it clip into another wall). If you're doing all of this and have the polyobj setup properly (and are using ZDBSP to build nodes), you shouldn't be having any problems.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”