RELEASE: Wolfenstein 3D TC Version 3.1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AFADoomer

RELEASE: Wolfenstein 3D TC Version 3.1

Post by AFADoomer »

Version 3.1 of the Wolfenstein 3D Total Conversion for GZDoom is available for download.

This release is a stand-alone IWAD that supports Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, and the two Spear of Destiny level packs - all selectable via an in-engine game selection screen. Just drop this .ipk3 into the folder with all of your other IWADs and you are ready to play!

This version has been almost completely re-coded in ZScript, and is even more accurate to the original games - plus it has even more optional features!

Version 3.1 fixes a bug in the MD5 hashing function used to detect Wolfenstein game resources, as well as some additional minor updates.
Spoiler: Key features
Note that this version requires that you place the GAMEMAPS file from your original Wolfenstein 3D or Spear of Destiny Installation into the same folder as the .ipk3 file in order to access the full set of levels. Without these files, you will be limited to the Shareware episode of Wolf3D and the two-level demo of Spear of Destiny.

The following files are supported:
Wolf3D Registered: GAMEMAPS.WL3
Wolf3D Registered (Full Game): GAMEMAPS.WL6
Spear of Destiny: GAMEMAPS.SOD
Return to Danger: GAMEMAPS.SD2
The Ultimate Challenge: GAMEMAPS.SD3

If you only have, for example, the GAMEMAPS.WL6 file, then you will be able to play all Wolf3D maps, but only the demo of SoD.
Spoiler: Old post and screenshots
Last edited by AFADoomer on Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 35 times in total.
JoeCapricorn

Post by JoeCapricorn »

Hmm, I've played WolfenDoom, this'll be interesting to check out.

Shame it doesn't work at all... at least with ZDoom.
MasterOFDeath
... in rememberance ...

Post by MasterOFDeath »

WolfenDoom runs just fine with ZDoom for me.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

I like the intro. now please add the music!!!!

and +movebob 0 should be added in the batch file.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

The music works for me... :? Anybody else not hearing it?

I have another .cfg file that changes other settings, but I didn't think people would like their map colors and such changed...
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

I do. please?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Replace the contents of 'Wolf3D.cfg' with this:

Code: Select all

pullin "Wolf3D.wad" 
pullin "Wolf3D_Episode_1.wad" 
am_backcolor "00 33 33"
am_wallcolor "00 66 66"
am_cdwallcolor "00 dd dd"
movebob 0
map "TITLE"
and it will change your map colors to a more matching theme...

Nothing spectacular...

Also, I just noticed that there's a bug with the life counter... I'm not sure when it stopped working properly, but I'll try and fix it.
dochist

Post by dochist »

man, i love this. it really feels like the original game! awesome!! :D
one thing i hate tho'... why not new levels? the original ones have been done so many times (or at least, i think it has). it would really be awesome if it has new levels. but then again, thats just me. still, great job dude. me likes. :)
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Three things:
1. In Wolfenstein 3-D, the player was (IIRC) 64 units tall and the walls were 128 units. In this demo, it seems like the player is a giant (with a 56-unit tall player and 64-unit sectors).
2. Converted FM music sounds like crap on most (if not all) sound cards. Do some editing.
3. Try to make the secret doors slide in, not rise.

Otherwise, it seems quite nice :)
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

I like it so far. I take it alot of effort has been put into this? :twisted:
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

This rocks.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

It needs 94.cab to run.

Anyway it's like improved Wolf3d. I don't really like it, though. It's just the same levels, the same lack of detail, no height variation. And the treasure is useless. Obviously you're just recreating the original, but I think it would be much cooler if you were to make something new out of it.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

You're welcome to make new levels if you like... Right now, I'm concentrating on recreating the look and feel of the original game, including the enemies, pickups, and HUD and the menus, intermission screens, and episode endings. I can't say what may happen in the future, though...

The player size thing is a problem, yes... If I could adjust the view height, I would. Since that's not possible in ZDoom at this time, it stays like it is.

The music sucks, yes, I know... I'm trying to find a good program that will convert it to sound just like the original. No luck so far.

As for making the secret doors slide, that's planned. I haven't been able to make polyobjects behave properly, though... Most of the time, they work fine, and then as soon as you walk up to them, they disappear.

I've been working on this on and off since around Febrary of this past year. Mostly, it started as making more correct DECORATE enemies to place in WolfenDoom. And then it grew...

I appreciate the feedback very much... Once I get a few bugs ironed out, and the other 5 episodes finished, I'll make an offical release of this.

[edit]@ixnatifual - That's the point, though :D. It's supposed to re-create the original (for now) [/edit]
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

The treasure is funny to run over sometimes, though. Just for the sounds :)
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

That's what it did in the original game :) . And it gives you points! How could you not notice such an important thing :P .

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”