Hocusdoom BETA (new version 09-23-18)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hocusdoom BETA (new version 09-23-18)

Postby IDKrisis » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:30 pm

ravage wrote:You actually get the wand just outside of the castle. I might make that a requirement for opening the door so you don't miss it. It makes the fight more balanced as that's what its aimed for.

D'oh! I can't believe I missed it! I've tried the battle again with the wand and it seems to balance the final battle perfectly. Its still VERY hard, but that's how it should be for a final boss. I'd recommend making the change you suggested, as anyone doing without that extra firepower may get bored with the final battle and give up.

Having played all four episodes of Hocusdoom, I have to say that I am amazed at the mapping skills on show here. Given how recently the new levels were added, they are surprisingly low on bugs and glitches and the overall quality of the mod goes beyond what many professional games have achieved. Only a few adjustments remain, and after that, I think you can be proud of what you've achieved. In fact, if you tried making a few levels for vanilla Doom with these skills, you could easily win a Cacoward.
IDKrisis
Dreaming in Pixels

Postby ravage » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:35 pm

IDKrisis wrote:Having played all four episodes of Hocusdoom, I have to say that I am amazed at the mapping skills on show here. Given how recently the new levels were added, they are surprisingly low on bugs and glitches and the overall quality of the mod goes beyond what many professional games have achieved. Only a few adjustments remain, and after that, I think you can be proud of what you've achieved. In fact, if you tried making a few levels for vanilla Doom with these skills, you could easily win a Cacoward.

Oh, I'm aware. :P
ravage
YAHOO!

Postby IDKrisis » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:33 pm

ravage wrote:Oh, I'm aware. :P

Downloaded. :D

Btw, I think I know what might have caused the enemies to get trapped on top of pikes in level 31. In Hocus Doom, enemies are completely invisible and immaterial until they spot the player, then they materialise and attack. If they lose track of the player for a while, they dematerialise again. The room where the bug occurs is located under another room above the fan, which you pass through first. When you pass through the higher room, the enemies in the lower room appear and try to reach you, then vanish some time after you leave. If they vanish too close to the pikes, its possible that when they reappear, they materialise on top of the pikes and get stuck.
IDKrisis
Dreaming in Pixels

Postby Talon1024 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:16 pm

On MAP19, it's possible to get softlocked after defeating the tree demon guarding the silver (IIRC) key. Here's a video demonstrating the issue.
Talon1024

Postby ravage » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:58 pm

Oooh, did not know that. Gonna fix that real quick.
ravage
YAHOO!

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:22 am

ravage wrote:Oh, I'm aware. :P

:D :D :D
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Solarn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:18 pm

This is an amazing WAD. It really feels like a whole new game running on the Doom engine, just familiar enough that I can instinctively play it, but different enough not to feel like a reskin or enemy/weapon mod. And the maps are gorgeous, with what feels like more than a bit of Quake influence. Some of the areas in late E1 especially reminded me of Quake's third episode, and not just because both used metallic textures with blue tiled floors (although it helped).
Solarn

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects