Hocusdoom BETA (new version 09-23-18)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hocusdoom BETA (new version 09-23-18)

Postby Gez » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:49 pm

Nice to hear. When they work, the simplest solutions are the most elegant IMO. :)
Gez

Postby Hisymak » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Great work Ravage!
I just have one question and one notice.
- I'm really curious, why are you still offering the ogg soundtrack? With inclusion of Hocus Pocus GENMIDI lump, the players can just simply choose "OPL Synth Emulation" as MIDI device, and they get music which sounds almost identical to the original Adlib/Sound Blaster soundtrack. And as a bonus, it has full stereo panning, which the original did not have. Moreover, I tried out the ogg soundtrack, and it actually sounds even differently from the real original soundtrack. It is not right. How you recorded the ogg soundtrack or where did you get it? It would make more sense if you recorded soundtrack from real hardware, for more authenticity. I observed that Hocus Pocus is giving some "surround" effect to the music, which makes it sound "deeper" and more pleasant.
- I often use "kill monsters" command when I want to get rid of the monsters and just walk through the level and explore it (too lazy to use sv_nomonsters). However, in Hocus Doom, this is really not friendly to my ears. When I use "kill monsters", the explosion sound plays at about 10000% volume, which really kills my ears, and I need to take my headphones off, or turn off sound, when I'm going to use it. Would it be possible to somehow limit volume or number of simultaneous explosion sound, please?
Hisymak

Postby ravage » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:08 am

I kept the OGG version as it sounds exactly how it sounded for me when I played it on a 486. Granted, this was recorded using dosbox, but I'm so used to the Adlib version (not SB), that that's what I wanted to keep.

As for the loud sound, I'll see what I can do.
ravage
YAHOO!

Postby Kinsie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:04 am

If you want to remove loud sounds, framerate-hitting visual effects etc. when using "kill monsters", create custom death/xdeath states for the "Massacre" damage type.
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby webcider » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:21 pm

I really would love to play this doom mod.
but it seems my system is giving a issue i reported the issue in this thread.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... zdoom-315/

But i want to let you know the game crashes every time i try to pick up a gem.
if need more information i gladly provide it. Thanks for creating this mod i can't wait till i be able to enjoy it as well.
webcider

Postby wildweasel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:57 pm

Does GZDoom offer to save a crash report to disk? If so, could you upload that somewhere?
wildweasel
May or may not have a pumpernickel addiction
Moderator Team Lead

Postby webcider » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:11 am

In the thread i linked to there is crash report, however i return back with some fresh reports. And lay them on google drive.
webcider

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects