Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ravage

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 01-27-2017)

Post by ravage »

Despite rumors that don't exist, I am not dead! I feel like I should have been posting more updates over the months, but you know how things go. Hope you guys have a spooky Halloween soon!

Current playable version for 10-03-2017
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fsggin43fiyd ... 7.pk3?dl=1
Ogg versions of music (updated)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wlfocvkewtm ... g.pk3?dl=1

changelog for - 10-02-2017
  • finished map22
  • finished map24
  • finished map25
  • finished map26
  • finished map27
  • finished map28
  • finished map29
  • finished map30
  • finished map31
  • fixed particle bridges moving up if you're underneath it.
  • particle bridge inherits from a zscript actor that lets you jump onto it from underneath. Thanks To Gutawer for zscript help!
  • changed automap strings for kills,treasures,crystals (now that its available)
  • teleport particles only activate when teleporting, freeing up memory otherwise used by it
  • rewrote script for Power Wand, and may actually use it. Its a bit weird so I'll need more feedback on it.
  • added handling for if your time is greater than 999.
  • lowered chance for ghosts to fade to 1/4
  • dragon boss done, added dinos (John Hammond would be so proud)
  • picking up new special weapons doesn't remove other weapons (You still lose them at the end of a level though)
  • returning from a teleport sets your last used weapon back (due to change above) (nevermind still need to fix)
  • IDFA cheat no longer breaks weapons (good news for you cheaters!)
  • lowered tree demon boss's health to 175
  • made fireball much more destructive
  • fixed a bug where some scripts were still using setammocapacity when no longer needed.
  • fixed minor texturing & scrpting in map01
  • renamed Gargoyle to Devil to avoid conflicts with another enemy
  • added several E4 enemies
  • added laser trap for E4
  • fixed bug where explosive shots were throwing decorations in map20 around like crazy. WHUT
  • added stuff for secret level
  • new alternate hud sprites for powered shots
  • new powerup - flamethrower!
  • made the eastern crystal a bit more visible on map21 and tweaked bridges to it some.
  • more small changes to early levels
  • added small hints for multi-switch puzzles
  • made jump and teleport potions fullbright to match other potions (and to make more visible)
  • tweaked all 3d models to be gzdb friendly (most of them at least)
  • lowered lava damage from 2 to 1.
  • rewrote script for Power Wand again. (This is version six or so. I guess I don't know what I want)
  • added secret weapon
  • new weapon powerups for E3 secret level
  • cookies!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Glad that this is still progressin' :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Yahoo indeed! Those are some great changes. And good to see it's still updating, too!
RichterBelmont12

Post by RichterBelmont12 »

Well its time to put this game back into this years Doom December for my Channel :)
ravage

Post by ravage »

Richter: I hope to catch it this time! :D
RichterBelmont12

Post by RichterBelmont12 »

ravage wrote:Richter: I hope to catch it this time! :D
I hope you do because there is alot of Awesome mods I want to do for this years Doom December Blade of Agony EP.2, Rise of the Woolball, Continuing Hocus Pocus Doom, Castlevania: Simon's Destiny (if it comes out this year), I'm still holding my breath on Doom Golden Souls 2 lol Maybe in Doom December 2018 Maybe.
doomjedi

Re: Hocus Doom (new version 10-03-2017)

Post by doomjedi »

Amazing and inspiring mod.
Was never a fan of the old game that is quite repetitive/boring and really "for the fans", but can appreciate a faithful remake where alot of love to the game is shown, I love mods that show a "love" to a game, like a love letter, regardless of me being a fan of that game or not. This energy of love to the old classics...we all love some old classics (some more popular, some less), and all can recognize love and dedication shown - and relate to it (and respect the effort made).
I play it, and think of the old classics I love, and how they could be made 3D.

The mod itself, after you appreciate how faithful remake is and the modding quality of the remake - gets too hard too fast, and too "boring" I'd say, like the original. But still, was fun to play it and all my respect to the maker. This is a product of love and it sure shows.

Can suggest you other platformer oldies to remake. Even Dangerous Dave would be cool to have :)
ravage

Post by ravage »

I've been busy.
q3cpma

Post by q3cpma »

I only tried it recently (never knew the original game) and I must say kudos. The colourful and detailed universe is amazing. The difficulty is pretty good too.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

So nice :)
tigab15

Post by tigab15 »

I created an account on this forum just to tell you that this is definitely one of the best mod I've ever played!!! It is so well made I can't believe someone made a TC as good as this! Thanks for making this man!
tigab15

Post by tigab15 »

Each time I try to get to map29 (Dragonbane) the game crashes, either from map 28 (it crashes just after the level result screen) or by typing the changemap command in the console. Would anybody know the solution to this problem?
ravage

Post by ravage »

tigab15 wrote:Each time I try to get to map29 (Dragonbane) the game crashes, either from map 28 (it crashes just after the level result screen) or by typing the changemap command in the console. Would anybody know the solution to this problem?
I'm going to post a new version soon. I actually fixed this issue. It had something to do with the nodes in map28 that I think was causing memory corruption. Basically moving some sectors around so the subsectors split differently fixed it.
ravage

Re: Hocusdoom (new version 04-08-2018)

Post by ravage »

Again, apologies for being so rare between updates. I just don't post often, but I try to get a lot done. Inching ever closer to finishing this monster! As usual, I'd still love for some playtesters to run through this to see if there's any bugs or things that could use work--especially the power wand which has undergone more changes yet again.

Current playable version for 04-08-2018
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00j37oqnqw0tq ... 8.pk3?dl=1
Ogg versions of music (updated)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wlfocvkewtm ... g.pk3?dl=1

changelog for - 04-08-18
  • more work on map30
  • bees now die on their own (and die faster, and give off no particles)
  • added +NODAMAGETHRUST to player shots (maybe it'll stop enemies from spazzing out when you hit them) (it doesn't)
  • completely reworked secret ore vein actors/treasure they drop
  • cleaning up scripts
  • treasure and crystal tracking uses levelinfo, rather than each actor adding to a variable (this could be broken easily if you collected items before it added to the total)
  • changed flash color for crystals (The red was too simililar to the pain flash)
  • changed flash color for secret gem to be opposite of crystals (....so now its red. fuck)
  • made most numbered global scripts into named scripts, and altered actors that use them accordingly
  • forgot to add ammo flash icon for active flamethrower powerup
  • ammo number on full hud had the wrong color. should be UNTRANSLATED
  • more progress on transferring all strings to LANGUAGE, so maybe someone in the future can translate them to other languages.
  • give +WEAPON.CHEATNOTWEAPON to secret weapons
  • changed damage for LightningPowerShot from 1 to 4
  • Supercharge will now refill your power wand ammo if you still have it
  • teleporting retains your current weapon again
  • added invulnerability powerup
  • health icon for when invulnerable
  • split skill definitons to a separate file
  • animated ammo icons when you have flamethrower or rapid fire active
  • used the wrong torches on map24
  • changed power wand again (and again and again)
  • power wand no longer self destructs upon depletion. instead, now you keep it, but it has very slow recharge
  • hitting enemies with regular shots replenishes power wand ammo faster
  • changed LaserShot damage from 1 to 2
  • changed death for skeletons. instead of spawning a new enemy (which I admit was annoying), now they explode and spawn a ring of bone shots
  • all key switches now use 'Actor Hits Floor' sector activator
  • small change to liquid flat glowing
  • moved all ednums to a separate file to keep better track of them
  • added sand jet particles
  • updated flamethrower shots to be more useful
  • secret weapon/super weapons now are affected by rapid fire and flamethrower powerups
  • I just discovered sector special 195. Time to hide all those skyboxes
  • finished map32
  • finished map33
  • finished map35
  • new textures and models for flags
  • fixed a bug in map28 that caused a crash entering map29
  • minor fixes in LANGUAGE
  • new enemies for final realm
  • replaced Twin Shot with Ricochet Shot
  • Floaters from the Night levels now occasionally shoot to the side to catch you off guard (eventually more enemies will have different variations)
  • cleaning up ceiling portals, hopefully making some levels run a little faster.
  • changed color of secret level gem to green, and made the flashes less intense.
  • made the key pickup sprites thicker so they stand out more
  • added throwable bombs for altfire. because I got bored.
  • added bombs to most levels. You start finding them after map13
  • raised y offset for weapons on the main status bar up by 8
  • weird bug found, but no idea why it happens. bomb projectiles are also affected by player palette translations.
  • made the sludgy projectiles in maps 13 and 14 faster. This way they don't linger too far and make the hallway hard to traverse.
  • updated many player projectiles (ROLLSPRITE is so cool)
  • changed order of weapon powerups. basically put split shot on the bottom below ricochet
  • various fixes to previous maps. Lots of changes.
Tormentor667

Re: Hocusdoom (new version 04-08-2018)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks for the new version, will give it a shot as soon as I have more time :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”