Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ravage

Re: Hocusdoom BETA (new version 10-15-2019) almost there

Post by ravage »

Current playable version for 01-26-19
https://www.dropbox.com/s/befkrs6uqtfp7 ... 9.pk3?dl=1
Ogg versions of music
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wlfocvkewtm ... g.pk3?dl=1

changelog for - 10-15-2019
  • completely redone torches again. use so much fewer actors now.
  • all bosses have rebalanced resistance to the power wand. they take half damage now.
  • Trolodon's health changed from 3000 to 2000
  • Wraith's projectile speed cut in half.
  • power wand shots are now homing.
  • fixed typo in one of the Wizard's chat strings.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I felt like something was missing from the beginning of this mod...

Also... this musical history of the Apogee Fanfare is particularly nostalgic.
Attachments
Ravage Apogee.png
Last edited by Scuba Steve on Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Awesome - a must add :)
ravage

Post by ravage »

Holy shit.
talisa

Post by talisa »

hahaha thats just to awesome, you should totally add taht as title-screen :D
CGA Gillian Seed

Post by CGA Gillian Seed »

Hello there! I've decided to make an account on here because I've been following this project for quite some time now, but have mostly been lurking at the time seeing this project develop and grow. I've finally done so because I want to help contribute to Hocus Pocus Doom and give out any feedback for ya, Ravage!
I did spot a couple of typos/inconsistencies with the text, like when quitting the game for example, one of the messages says this:
It'ts not fair! (Quit Message).png
It should be fixed to:
It's not fair!
Why do you get to leave?

In Map09, when you talk to the wizard at the beginning, he says this:
These Castle WALL (Typo At E1M9).jpg
It should instead be:
These castle walls are guarded by the Mad Monks of Mellenwah! Never touch one!
Note the lowercase "w" in Mellenwah. In the original Hocus Pocus, Mellenwah is spelled with a lowercase "w". But in Hocus Pocus Doom, the "w" is uppercase which is incorrect.
It's the little things I notice here when playing!

This next thing I will address is actually kinda big, and it has to do with the music used in the secret levels which I will get into.
Spoiler:
So yep! I have a recommendation that when playing back these files during gameplay, that you adjust GZDoom's module replayer Quality to "Aliasing". Of course this will make instruments lose interpolation, but on the other hand will make the instruments sound sharper in general.
If necessary, adjusting the Module Replayer's master volume to have it be balanced alongside the MIDI/FM Hocus Pocus soundtrack is also another recommendation of mine. I have made it more convenient for ya by taking the time to adjusting the internal volume between all the 4 secret level tracks so that one doesn't sound too quiet or too loud compared to the others during module playback, so all you really have to worry about is fiddling around with GZDoom's module replayer settings (in regards to interpolation and master volume) when playing Hocus Pocus Doom!

*phew*
That was quite a bit of stuff for me to write, but hey, I want to see this mod become more and more polished and am happy to help out in any way I can! I'll letcha know when I find more things to address whether it is typos, bugs, or anything like that.
Download link of my Secret Level track fixes will be provided here.
(EDIT: 11-14-2019)
https://mega.nz/#!Z3RQjYbL!0glZLRpvuBkQ ... -AOyCR7kw0

Also, I really love that Ravage Apogee logo!!! Loads of nostalgia looking at that! That totally should be used when starting up the game for next update!
Last edited by CGA Gillian Seed on Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ravage

Post by ravage »

Oh wow, that is amazing! I will definitely give those a look!
CGA Gillian Seed

S'all good, Ravage! Out of all the Doom Total Conversions out there, Hocus Pocus Doom is easily one of my favorites I've ever experienced and makes me really happy playing through what is essentially a 3D remake of Hocus Pocus! Seeing what's been accomplished here in terms of level design, sprites, textures, etc. is all so inspiring, and has been peaking my interest for getting into Doom modding again!
I have noticed how certain enemies like the Fire Crocs, Bugbears, etc. have different angled sprites, but others like the Demons and Egg Dragons for example have front facing sprites only. Will those enemies eventually have their other angled sprites drawn at some point in the future as a means to keep things consistent for the enemies?
I totally understand that it can be a time consuming process having to draw all different directions for each and every sprite. (My pixel art skills aren't exactly the greatest, but I have dabbled on a few personal projects in the past so yeaaaaah :P)
Spoiler:
CGA Gillian Seed

Found a couple more typos as I was playtesting Hocus Pocus Doom more.
When pressing the Show High Score key while talking to the wizard/Terexin, a couple of message strings will show up which misspells Terexin's name as "Terrexin". The extra "r" should be removed from both of the message strings at the top of the screen, as shown in both screenshots here:
Terexin High Score Typo 1.png
Terexin High Score Typo 2.png
I am aware though that the current High Score system might perhaps be changed (hopefully someday when it does get figured out) to work in the main menu as opposed to ingame to be more accurate to how the original Hocus Pocus handles the scoring system, (though I haven't figured it out myself unfortunately given my limited knowledge on that deal), but I'd thought I point these out anyway. Typos are typos and it's only right for me to mention about 'em!

On a totally random note, I've spent time to actually work on an ENDOOM screen dedicated to Hocus Pocus Doom. Been kinda nervous about sharing it, but I hope you like it anyway, Ravage! Believe it or not, it's actually my very first ENDOOM screen I've ever made for a Doom mod which feels so satisfying to see it finished! It's basically to replicate the behavior of exiting the original Hocus Pocus game back to DOS which shows a screen similar to the one I've made. Of course, mine has a bit more eye candy going on and dithering effects to give off the illusion of there being more colors than there actually are. Mmmmm strict color/resolution limitation workarounds.
Something about ENDOOM screens are so charming to me and I personally love it whenever I see a custom-made one included in a Doom mod, mmmm EGA colors...
Only 16 colors to work with (16 for the foreground, 8 restricted to just the background), and 80 x 25 text resolution.
To see the screen, you will have to enable "Show ENDOOM screen" in GZDoom's Miscellaneous Options, so seeing this screen when quitting the game is totally optional to the player!
I will link the ENDOOM screen here so that you can put it in the PK3 yourself, Ravage matey! Once you insert it in the PK3, you shall be able to see it magically appear when exiting the game. :D
I was initially going to upload an animated GIF of it as a way to showcase it, but uploading a GIF attachment on my end kinda messes up the GIF playback every time I do, so it'll be best to see it in action for yourself within GZDoom.
HOCUS_ENDOOM.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
As always, I will letcha know when I find out more stuff!
ravage

Post by ravage »

Well that endoom is getting added for sure!

Looking through the music fixes you've worked on and I gotta say I like most of them--except the jill of the jungle version.
Last edited by ravage on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Haha, amazing.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

For the final packaging of the wad, assuming you will keep the PK3 format, I suggest you take the maps out of the big wad archives you are currently using and place them as single-level wads inside a "maps" subdir. It's nothing that any player would notice, but if I am not mistaken, it'd be better for memory management. (Also note that in this case the name of the single-level wad files would also be those you need to use in MAPINFO.)
ravage

Post by ravage »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iidpui6hasb2y ... 1.pk3?dl=1

I'm hoping to wrap this up in the next few days. Clock's ticking!
I'm not going to worry about the highscore table until maybe a later patch. I just want to get this out the door already so I can focus on other things. :P

changelog:
  • added ENDOOM by CGA Gillian Seed
  • added musical fixes by CGA Gillian Seed
  • added intro card thanks to Scuba Steve
  • updated map39 to fix some errors
  • more typo fixes
  • imported maps for final compilation
  • shaved off almost 9mb in trimming extraneous files
  • compressed many sounds to cut down filesize.
ravage

Re: Hocusdoom RC1 (new version 12-2-2019)

Post by ravage »

Just to let everyone know, Hocusdoom has been uploaded to incoming, so should show up within a few days! When its officially accepted I will post the link.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Hocusdoom RC1 (new version 12-2-2019)

Post by NightFright »

Wow, it's really happening! Any further changes compared to RC1?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”