Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valherran

Re: ALIENS:The Ultimate Doom (TC) [BETA 5.7] New Content

Post by Valherran »

I should probably clarify:

I meant big as in build. They are supposed to be slender, but in here they are really buff looking.

EDIT:

I found a few balance issues with the beta you put out. The Xenomorphs are attacking at an instantaneous rate, meaning their attack goes off before the animation even starts. Their damage is just too high as well, a simple Drone hits harder than a Cyberdemon, which is insane. Also when Xenomorphs get damaged by fire, they shouldn't bleed all over the place. This caused some serious frame lag when I set fire to a bunch of Xenomorphs with the flame thrower. A couple times I died because it lagged so bad that I couldn't kill a Xenomorph in time that came up behind me and 3-shotted me at near full HP and armor.
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Valherran wrote:I should probably clarify:

I meant big as in build. They are supposed to be slender, but in here they are really buff looking.

EDIT:

I found a few balance issues with the beta you put out. The Xenomorphs are attacking at an instantaneous rate, meaning their attack goes off before the animation even starts. Their damage is just too high as well, a simple Drone hits harder than a Cyberdemon, which is insane. Also when Xenomorphs get damaged by fire, they shouldn't bleed all over the place. This caused some serious frame lag when I set fire to a bunch of Xenomorphs with the flame thrower. A couple times I died because it lagged so bad that I couldn't kill a Xenomorph in time that came up behind me and 3-shotted me at near full HP and armor.
You can expect an update this weekend. I noticed the extremely fast attacking myself. This update will address balancing issues.

If you look at the latter part of the film, the Runner becomes more filled out in its upper-body. Probably because it was maturing, and reached its adult stage by the end of the movie.

Because I'm working with such a small amount of pixels, it would actually look too thin, if I reduced it by one line of pixels in the arm.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Valherran wrote:Also when Xenomorphs get damaged by fire, they shouldn't bleed all over the place. This caused some serious frame lag when I set fire to a bunch of Xenomorphs with the flame thrower. A couple times I died because it lagged so bad that I couldn't kill a Xenomorph in time that came up behind me and 3-shotted me at near full HP and armor.
Well based on AvP 2010 when they are on fire they rush toward you, grab your leg and explode so what you'd prefer between being killed by a xeno bleeding too much or a xeno grabbing you before exploding in your face and killing you in the process? I got killed more than my share each time i used the flamethrower when the xeno were too close to me in AvP 2010. I had to adapt and choose carefully when to use it. AvP 2010 is really fairly easy compare to the good old Doom we are playing and using the same strategies than while playing any modern FPS is sure to lead to a premature death of the poor Doomguy :P

The conclusion on that one is if you are going to use the flamethrower be sure to be far enough of the xeno before you pull the trigger. It's like the rocket launcher, if you shoot a monster while you are too close of a monster(or get rushed by a lost soul) the blast radius will greatly damage you. It's all about adapting your gameplay and use the right strategy with each enemy. You can't just rush the Aliens the same way you do with other monsters.

I must admit however they are way too fast and when a group of them rushes you it's hard to find the right weapon to kill them quickly while not being hurt too much.

As for the lags i don't have this issue but i'm sure if i were still playing on my old dinosaur instead of the potent machine i'm running it would have probably been unplayable. It's like Winter's Fury mod. When i played it on my other pc it was lagging as h*** but with my new pc it's playing smoothly without any lag.

Anyway since this mod is still in Beta stage there is many things that would be different in the final release so just be patient and every bugs, ammo, animations and balance issues would be fixed before the final release. :)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

But he's complaining about lags, maybe because of too much blood decals on screen. You could make the xenos explode after a short while, and spill acid all over the place at once.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:But he's complaining about lags, maybe because of too much blood decals on screen. You could make the xenos explode after a short while, and spill acid all over the place at once.
Yeah i know i know. Like i said earlier if I still had to play on my old pc i would probably be lagging a lot too. That's why his comment is relevant because not everyone has the luxury to play with a high-end pc and it's important to report lags issues. My earlier comment was to merely point out that this mod - like your Predators mod - requires a strategy adjustment to have better chances of survival. I meant no offense whatsoever by that comment.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Nah, no offense taken :P I think maybe K.K. could fix that by making the fire damage a non-bleeding damage. This would avoid too much blood decals and maybe helps with lags. Than, the xenos could explode after a little longer, and using the same principle of the brutal blood, spill the acid. They would still be deadly enough to make the player be careful while using the flamethrower.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Agree. However i hope K.K. won't make them run after us and explode in our face once they are on fire. I hated that part in AvP 2010 when in the Marine Campaign i had to fight the Aliens with only the flamethrower - because i had to get rid of my trusty Pulse Rifle to grab it - and while trying to kill the xenos with it one of them grabbed my leg and exploded killing me in the process. Lets just say i learned to run away from the xeno once i lite them on fire :lol:

If he is planning yo do that though hope he will reduce the xeno speed to let the player the time to react.

Anyway i'm sure K.K. is doing everything he can to improve his already awesome mod so lets give him the time to do so :)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Can i be honest with you? Sometimes i hated Marine campaing in AvP 2010. Really, it's frustrating. Everyone loves to bash on Colonial Marines, but AvP 2010 is no better.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:Can i be honest with you? Sometimes i hated Marine campaing in AvP 2010. Really, it's frustrating. Everyone loves to bash on Colonial Marines, but AvP 2010 is no better.
I'll be honest with you too my friend, the only campaign i played more than once is the Predator Campaign :P The marine one is merely a poor imitation the AvP2 marine campaign or maybe it was some kind of preview of the things to expect in Colonial Marines. Either ways they failed to make both games worth to be played over and over again like the first 2 AvP were - and still are to my opinion. What would be great is if they do some remake of the 2 first AvP games but only with updated graphics without changing stuff in the campaigns. I'm sure this would be better than if they try to make a new one but end up doing even worse than CM with even more nonsense and contradictions like reviving a presumably dead character with some impossible scenario and a really poor story to explain his presence.

I know i'm dreaming but you can't blame me for that :lol:
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Endless123 wrote:Yeah i know i know. Like i said earlier if I still had to play on my old pc i would probably be lagging a lot too. That's why his comment is relevant because not everyone has the luxury to play with a high-end pc and it's important to report lags issues. My earlier comment was to merely point out that this mod - like your Predators mod - requires a strategy adjustment to have better chances of survival. I meant no offense whatsoever by that comment.
jdredalert wrote:But he's complaining about lags, maybe because of too much blood decals on screen. You could make the xenos explode after a short while, and spill acid all over the place at once.
This. When they touch fire, they start spewing acid puddles every millisecond until they die, hit enough of them, and it LAGS. Not even the strongest computer will save you from this, it's an engine issue, not a hardware issue. ;-)
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Odd i've been acid-sprayed quite a lot and it never lagged not only once ... not even with the flamethrower to pass through a bunch of Aliens. I even got cornered by 4 Aliens and 2 synths standing behind them and they got me of course. Yes there is a lot of particles flying around but it doesn't lag on my side. I guess my dual core cpu, my 4g ram and my 2g gpu must have something to do with it because as i said earlier on my old pc i wasn't even able to play Winter's Fury - which is a good mod by the way - and now with this pc i can play it without any hint of a lag.

One question though, is Brutal Doom lagging for you when all the blood particles and chunks flying around because it's also likely to lag if K.K.'s mod is lagging for you.

Since i don't have any lags i can only guess something on your side is making it lags. I wonder if there is a lot of players having lags issues with mods like this one. Maybe having a poll to know for sure could be a good thing because if you have lags there is a possibility that you are not the only one and K.K. needs to know if it lags for lots of ppl or just a few to adjust stuff in his mod.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Brutal Doom only lags for me if I manage to blow up like 30 monsters at once, but that is kind of hard to do.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

yeah i agree but from what i say for the preview of the upcoming BD20 i think lots of pc will lags because SMIV added a lot more blood effects on walls and ceilings and even pieces of monsters hanging at the ceiling for a few seconds then drop on the floor. It will literally repaint the room with blood :lol:
Sematary

Post by Sematary »

Hey, Kontra, don't forget to let me know when you release a new version. ;-)
i want to update the review page:

And, just for announcing that you'll be coming out with an update, I'll be putting a note in This Week in Doom. ;-)
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Sematary wrote:Hey, Kontra, don't forget to let me know when you release a new version. ;-)
i want to update the review page:

And, just for announcing that you'll be coming out with an update, I'll be putting a note in This Week in Doom. ;-)
Excellent man! Moreover, I will finally create the official moddb page tomorrow, since I will have time.

Thus far, I'm playing the newly balanced beta, and it is a lot more enjoyable than the current 5.7.

I took basically everyone's advice, and nerfed a bunch of stuff across the board.

Also, I made shotgunguy's replacement another warrior, and made the spectre and baron of hell the Combat synths. I've been play testing on UV, and its much more playable. I gave the combat synths more health, since they have a smaller spawn count now. But they are more formidable enemies, and you'll appreciate the fact that they are a danger. Due to the fact that now there are fewer combat synths to drop amount, I buffed the clip amount to 90 bullets. Morever, the player starts off with a fully loaded pulse rifle of 290 bullets. This really helps the flow and pace of the action. Further, the runner's speed has been reduced from 40 to 30. the melee attacks have been reduced from 32, to 16. The only really devastating/near-insta kill damage you'll receive is if you shoot an enemy at close range, and have a ton of acid splash on you. I think that's pretty fair.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”