Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kontra Kommando

Re: Xenomorph Queen WIP/ Xeno Drone and Warrior/ MAP01

Post by Kontra Kommando »

SAraisXenoQueen wrote:It's nice, but the walking really needs to be smoothed out. The animation looks incredibly choppy. The arms and tail are, like others have said, far too flail-y and look more like horribly-secured costume peices. Xenos tend to keep their limbs at fixed positions unless they are being currently used.

For all intents and purposes, that looks somewhat like a sidestep, rather than legs being moved forward.

Looking forward to updates on this, though.
I know it kind of looks awkward in the gif, but in-game it will look better. I know this, because the previous xenomorph warrior gif I made had suggested the same thing. The reason it looks weird, is because she is standing in place. In game, it will look more natural as the size of the sprite will change according to the distance. Moreover, often times the enemies will interchange between the front view and the quarter view; this will give it a more natural look as well.
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

Kontra Kommando wrote:
I know it kind of looks awkward in the gif, but in-game it will look better. I know this, because the previous xenomorph warrior gif I made had suggested the same thing. The reason it looks weird, is because she is standing in place. In game, it will look more natural as the size of the sprite will change according to the distance. Moreover, often times the enemies will interchange between the front view and the quarter view; this will give it a more natural look as well.
Fair enough, will keep this in mind

I noticed your post about a Doom-Aliens Crossover over in the ideas thread I had a similar idea on really vast scale. We really should get a team together
Kontra Kommando

SAraisXenoQueen wrote:
Kontra Kommando wrote:
Fair enough, will keep this in mind

I noticed your post about a Doom-Aliens Crossover over in the ideas thread I had a similar idea on really vast scale. We really should get a team together
After i finish all of the xenomorphs and textures i intend to make, I hope to create a 10 level wad with them. After that, i will be open for some collaboration in terms of map building. But, I welcome anyone to create maps using the resources I produce; that could be my contribution in the meantime.
SAraisXenoQueen

Kontra Kommando wrote: After i finish all of the xenomorphs and textures i intend to make, I hope to create a 10 level wad with them. After that, i will be open for some collaboration in terms of map building. But, I welcome anyone to create maps using the resources I produce; that could be my contribution in the meantime.

Alright then
Kontra Kommando

SAraisXenoQueen wrote:
Kontra Kommando wrote: After i finish all of the xenomorphs and textures i intend to make, I hope to create a 10 level wad with them. After that, i will be open for some collaboration in terms of map building. But, I welcome anyone to create maps using the resources I produce; that could be my contribution in the meantime.

Alright then

Moreover, production time for these projects are going to slow down in late May, because I'm going back to school for an MFA in Media Arts. I don't want to over-encumber myself with work. I'll learn how to hone my artistic skills, and hopefully, create videos games and software professionally. The tuition is covered by my job, so I need to jump at the opportunity. However, I will never abandon the goals I have set out for. I want to finish it all before the end of this year.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

That's a wise decision. I'm sure you will do very well and i won't be surprised to see your name in the credits of great game in a few years and maybe even sooner. Who knows maybe you'll be the one to give back the Aliens franchise its golden letters :)
Kontra Kommando

New:

Here is the progress I've made thus far for the Queen. I have had my hands tied this month with work and my personal life, so I haven't had much time to work on my sprite art. However, now I have a chance to make more time for this project. I have completed most of the major parts of the sprite sheet; the torso and head from every angle. Now what needs to be done is adding arms, legs and tail, as well as the attack and death animations. I'm not certain when I will be finished, but I don't think it should be too long at this point.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Looking good :)

Keep up the good work :D
Kontra Kommando

Endless123 wrote:Looking good :)

Keep up the good work :D
Thanks man! I'm hoping to make some significant progress by this weekend.
Kontra Kommando

http://imgur.com/QEWYOHS

Here is a walking animation, from the side. It may look like its doing the bone-dance, since its standing in place, retaining the same size. But trust me, It will look the way its supposed to in-game.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

You are right it looks like a "dancing Queen"( :P ) but as you said a fixed animation can't reflect how it will actually looks like in-game.

I can't wait to see her in action :D
Kontra Kommando

Endless123 wrote:You are right it looks like a "dancing Queen"( :P ) but as you said a fixed animation can't reflect how it will actually looks like in-game.

I can't wait to see her in action :D
Lol yea, I can't wait till I finish this sprite sheet. I have a lot of ideas for a cool final battle. I will program a generic queen, but I will also program a queen that is modified to wander, and forgets about the player after not seeing it for an extend period of time. I read up about it in the wiki; once I'm done with the sprites; I'll give my self a crash course in hope to accomplish that in the decorate.

I added a bob to the Queens head, so it looks more natural, and dinosaur/bird-like with the way it moves. Check out this link: http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php ... Ow&start=0
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I just saw the new gif you made (the last link you posted above) It's pretty good but i think you might want to check some of the frames concerning the end of the tail. There is a "leftover" sprite that appears for a few frames. it should not be to hard to fix since it's not appearing in the whole animation but only on a few frames.

EDIT : Concerning the special queen you want to make forget the player after a while i think it's a good idea. Keep up the good work my friend you are doing good :)
SAraisXenoQueen

Ergh.

Honestly, the bobbing of the head and limbs doesn't look that great in my opinion, and the movement of the arms is far too dramatic
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Like all animations it would surely look better in-game. Besides don't forget it's a Queen not an ordinary xeno and making an animation for a Queen is no piece of cake.

@Kontra Kommando : When you'll have finished the Queen animation i suggest you take some screenshots in-game to show to real thing or make a short video so ppl would be able to see the Queen in action because to my opinion a gif animation doesn't give you justice and will always look choppy and different compared to the in-game animation. I just bought a new pc and i should receive it by the end of the next week so if you can't do a video i think (with your permission of course) i could make one (i guess a dual core 3.16 with 4G RAM and 2G Video card should be able to handle recording better videos than my old dinosaur i'm running at the moment :lol: )

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”