Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
demo_the_man

Re: ALIENS: Legacy

Post by demo_the_man »

10/10 Best Aliens FPS.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

You're bringing it to a whole new level. That's amazing.
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Kontra Kommando wrote:Thanks guys,

Btw, I found this:

http://kotaku.com/maybe-this-will-be-a- ... 1791758295
Some of the comments in there are just [censored word]...
Gez

Post by Gez »

Only some? That's better than 95% of the Internet, then!
Kontra Kommando

Yea, like that guy going on about how its not going to be like Alien. Well, its called Aliens.

I already knew what alien was about. But he's taking it way too seriously I think. We probably know more about the Aliens series than that pretentious poseur.

Obviously, the people working for free on an aliens-themed game for several years now, are expected to be pretty knowledgeable about it. Typical NYC hipster snob
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Well, that's why i tend to avoid comments sections... we have an article about a Doom mod and all of the sudden there's some random guy out of a film class saying that your mod won't be a good Aliens themed shooter because you missed all the sexual themes implied in the first two Alien movies. Seriously, what the hell was that?
Kontra Kommando

Seriously, lol how would one pull that off in a Doom mod. Moreover, it would absolutely ruin the game.

Alien: Isolation doesn't do that either, so I don't know wtf that guy is talking about. It was a stealth survival horror. Also, it has some similar game aspects to aliens: the ultimate doom, in the way it has faction based combat. Isolation has some pretty savage moments. I remember I was hidden, and some guy was running away from the xenomorph, and I shot him in the shoulder. I really laugh out loud at the look of surprise of his face lol

My favorite tactic was to blind a group with a flash grenade and run up and bash them in the head with a wrench.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

A good aliens game needs the isolating atmosphere, and the fact no matter how big and powerful your weapons are, the aliens are still stronger than you as well as not having limited ammunition. Thats why the original aliens tc still feels good after all of these years, and will still continue to be good to this day.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

You could take a page or two from Metroid, and make this a sprawling adventure by using HUBs and non-linear objectives.
Captain22

Post by Captain22 »

Wow.

That totally caught me offhanded.

PLEASE make the mod have randomly spawning marines and aliens instead of static sets of enemies... I love the RNG factor of Aliens The Ultimate Doom and I'd rather not have it see gone.

By the way, could you PLEASE add a Marine AI script that actually follows you around and that you can even tell them to stay put, like in Brutal Doom? I think this mod would REALLY benefit from it. Especially at the start of the level (in Alien Legacy and dedicated maps I mean, not in all wads, that would be too overpowered) which you could start with about 3 or 7 marines (according to the official Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual which indicates that all marine platoons are divided into two fireteams, not counting the commanding staff which is separate) for you to command with, so you could pretty much judge your skills based on how many of them even managed to survive. It would also be a thrilling atmosphere to see the marines getting picked off one by one during the course of the mission.

Adding respawning enemies with a clever script would definitely help the maps even more, like in AVP99 for example. Like, if you stand still around the map for too long, aliens can start randomly spawning on air vents and unreachable/dark places. It could even use the same formula as the random generator, so sometimes a single runner may spawn, or a praetorian, or a horde of aliens. It would also make placing sentry guns more strategic so that you can temporarily "seal off" entire sections of the map, as long as the sentry gun still has ammo that is. Make the gameplay and map design as much emergent as possible. I get it that people get angry when someone says "procedural" and go "MAP BALANCE! MAP BALANCE!" but come on. I haven't seen enough Doom mods that go with procedural generation as the main theme of the mod. I think this aspect should be explored more. I'm tired of playing the same maps the exact same way over and over. After a while everytime I play a different wad it somehow feels the same. Aliens The Ultimate Doom is probably the first Doom mod I've played that doesn't make E1M1 boring for the hundredth time, because everytime I load the map now, there's some form of surprise or another.

Hell, I would even say having the ability of randomizing the map key sets would be awesome.

(User was banned not for this post, but for evading a previous ban. Don't think you can pull one over on us moderators.)
Kontra Kommando

SamVision wrote:You could take a page or two from Metroid, and make this a sprawling adventure by using HUBs and non-linear objectives.
I love that style of level design. I think you'll be pleased with the map Deimos Anomaly is working on.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That's good to hear, I'm a big fan of that style of level too!
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Oh yes! What a beautiful marriage of mods! :D :wub:
Have a skybox you inspired me to build - it's no wedding cake, but here ya go anyways...

I'd be happy to share the prefab/wad if it's of any use to you guys or even to your liking :)
Last edited by willkuer on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I think i know that pulse rifle... :p

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”