DOOM DIMENSIONS (STOPPED! WILL BE REPLACED BY DOOM NEMESIS)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

DOOM DIMENSIONS (STOPPED! WILL BE REPLACED BY DOOM NEMESIS)

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:22 pm

CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS paused due to all 4 PCs at home being too old and not powerful enough to edit it further (due to the number of Special Effects and Detail)

So here we go:

I´m using Resources from other people. The purpose of this is to look into their creations and learn from them.
The other reason is, that I want to make a new PK3, but I am all alone and I can´t do it all on my own.
The result: Use what you can find from others to save time and mix them in a SINFUL way. Otherwise I would sit on this project for years...

I already started changing things, like:

using ONLY my own Textures,
creating my OWN ACS Scripts and DECORATE,
Music is taken from other games BUT there are ALSO some done by myself,
Maps are generally self-done.

But this file is developing parallel to my modding skills. And there´s much to learn.

Current status: 17.01.2014:

new Damage Types: "Shotgun" and "Sawed"

enable/disable gore blood by choosing whether the "Blood.pk3" is loaded or not. This mod is a modified KetchupTest.pk3 where I choose by myself, how monsters Spawn blood when hit or shot into pieces. When not used, alt death states are still there, but without additional blood splatters.

Imp has three different death animations. The fourth appears only when hit by Shotgun projectiles and ONLY in close range.

Demon has a special animation when cut into pieces by chainsaw. Right and left arms can be ripped out by shotgun fire ONLY when demon is close enough to the player . Otherwise original death state is used.

Cacodemon has death states for being killed with shotgun projectiles and gets his head blasted into pieces when in close range.

Food machines offer food when being activated by linedef and via Script. They offer food without limit, but health is limited to 200 health points. when you reached 200, picking up food will have no effect anymore....

Some areas will be in classic "Resident Evil" camera view, especially when a secret or a riddle is in the area. Sometimes only to create a special atmosphere.

Game will provide Messages like "There´s nothing special in here" or "This Food machine could be useful...."

Monsters are not only placed to be killed, they also help to increase some atmospheric moments. Also be sure, that not every dead monster is definitely dead.....
Last edited by WARCHILD_89 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:45 am, edited 18 times in total.
WARCHILD_89
DOOM NEMESIS / 3D MODELS / RESOURCE BACKUPS

Re: DOOM DIMENSIONS

Postby TheMightyHeracross » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:41 pm

I don't like where this is going so far. 1.3 gigabytes?! All of that music and all of those monsters and 20,000 textures are unnecessary.

music from Metal bands (i.e. "Slipknot-Before I forget(instrumental)" will play while being trapped and surrounded and realizing you found your supply containing heavy BOO-BOOM stuff)

This can get you warned or banned. Copyrighted material is not permitted here; read the rules:
We do not tolerate the free distribution of warez, ROMs, illegal music, torrents (aside from legal material), or other pirated materials. In other words, don't post asking for a Doom 2 IWAD (tip: if you need one and can't pay, check out Freedoom). Sorry, but this includes "Abandonware" links as well!

It's a major rule.
TheMightyHeracross
...and remember: his silence is golden.

Discord: TheMightyHeracross#1716
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby Nightfall » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:06 pm

whoa whoa WHOA stop right there. 1.3 gigabytes is a pretty clear sign that you're doing something seriously wrong here. We've seen this happen many times before, it's called being too ambitious.

WARCHILD_89 wrote:more than 150 Monsters and counting (Thanks to realm 667)
More than 100 guns (thanks to realm 667)

Yo. There's no way you would have re-coded and balanced up 150 monsters and 100 weapons. It just cannot be done. What you're doing is called "ripping as much stuff from Realm667 as possible and stuffing them into your wad to make it look epic". Trust me, it just doesn't work. How the heck is a player supposed to sort through 100 weapons anyway?

Furthermore "thanks to realm 667" is not enough. You are supposed to credit individual people behind the stuff you're using. This particularly ticks me off because I noticed a texture edit of mine in your screenshots and there's no acknowledgement of that, just "realm 667".

WARCHILD_89 wrote:over 20.000 Textures ! (Let´s see how many of them will be used :lol: )

You acknowledge it yourself that you won't be using all of them. 20,000 is outright absurd. My current in-use texture pack has less than 10% of that and I call it very big.

WARCHILD_89 wrote:Ketchuptest.pk3 is included for Brutal Doom like blood (Thanks go to the Brutal Doom people)

Why do you need that? It's an add-on, people who like it will probably be using it anyway, you shouldn't be forcing it on people who don't. And besides the LOAD command in GAMEINFO could be used for auto-loading anyway.

WARCHILD_89 wrote:music from Metal bands (i.e. "Slipknot-Before I forget(instrumental)" will play while being trapped and surrounded and realizing you found your supply containing heavy BOO-BOOM stuff)

Ripping from metal bands is outright illegal and frowned upon y'know.

WARCHILD_89 wrote:https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942220_1381736588737983_490583899_n.jpg

So essentially you're forced to use the flashlight because everything is pitch-black otherwise.

WARCHILD_89 wrote:YES , the fan IS turning, YES the bullets are REAL casings not just sprites (thanks again to the guy who made this ParticleFireEnhancer.pk3)

YES we have seen all this stuff many times before. Bring something new to the table.

Oh hey, Brutal Doom screenshots! I thought this was supposed to be a project thread for your mod?

I'm going to give you some friendly advice, just stop there and do something on a smaller scale first. Make a few simple maps first and work your way up. You won't succeed because your mod simply is too big for a clear beginner like you.

.. why don't we have a sticky about this stuff? I find myself repeating what I know I've made a small essay about in the past.
Nightfall

Postby TheRailgunner » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm going to explain to you what is wrong with your post and the file it links too. You see, the stolen music aside, most of your content isn't copyrighted (save for whatever Doom IWAD resources you may have included), but someone put a considerable amount of time and effort to make it in the first place, and release it by itself. When people (read: you) take those things, smash it all together, and call it "their" Doom mod, it insults the people who drew each pixel, coded every line, and balanced every aspect of their work only to have that balance destroyed by the inclusion of a bunch of other mods that don't mesh well with it. Furthermore, you're depriving the mod authors proper credit and recognition by saying that it's your mod, because people who play your mod might actually believe that you made all of it yourself, even if you never actually say that you did.

My first contribution to the ZDoom forums was X-Weapon, a heavily edited version of Accessories to Murder. When it was first released, only a few weapons differed from Weasel's, and it was pretty noticeable. In time, I developed the mod more and more, to the point where it no longer feels or plays anything like the original version, and it became more warmly received because of it.

The point is, sure, someone else has probably made a mod in the direction you want to go with Doom, and it's fine to mess with the mods...so long as you try to make what you give back to the community your own. Everybody and their dog has played Brutal Doom and all of the other BD-like gameplay enhancements (Accessories to Murder, and by extension, X-Weapon, trace back to DoomNukem's Brutal Doom Weapon Pack, though AtM was reDECORATED from scratch by Weasel), and if you want to attract the attention of ZDoomers, you have to give them something that isn't anything I mentioned in this post. Users posting content compilations like this isn't a ZDoom-only thing, obviously (the MUGEN fighting game engine suffers from a lot of this, for example), and it doesn't make your contribution unique, even outside of this forum.

@Nightfall: I honestly find maps a little more difficult than DECORATE (or hell, ACS). So many sectors...
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:02 pm

ok, ok I see we got it wrong started.... and in the most cases you got it wrong and it is my fault.
I´ll reedit it all for clearness. And then tell if something is still to argue about ok? :?
WARCHILD_89

Postby wildweasel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Everybody else has said most of what I'd say, but I'm going to throw in my own question into the mix: do you have any screenshots of material that you made yourself? Maybe some shots of your custom maps with the weapons, monsters, and status bar disabled?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:33 pm

working on it give me a sec

showing on GZDOOMBUILDER looks too messy I´ll start the pk3 with (original doom weapons no hud and only fists)
WARCHILD_89

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:42 pm

I had trouble with my maps wad so i took the remake of it, you´ll see there are some Actors missing and some textures missing or unaligned I´ll upload some older maps to give you an impression how some FINISHED maps looked like... but they´re older than two years I wanted to remake them and to put them into my new Maps.wad but this will take a while...

showing this map in GZDOOM_builder was a bit annoying my laptop´s too slow for this Megamap...

here we go

A ventilation system to crouch through the whole infested base, connecting different sections of the base together, every section will look different due to how they are used (barracks, laboratory, and so on):
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3222_n.jpg

getting into the base(with changing music and a message, not shown here):
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7256_n.jpg

another point of view showing the stairs, enlightened by red dynamic light:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5131_n.jpg

the entrance is normally the exit here but there will be similiar ways to get in and out, or from one base section to another section, you will have a choice which way to go... the fleshlight is on for the first time in this image. The red light is pulsed light by the way:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1256_n.jpg

self-explaining (all these books....):
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0083_n.jpg

A generator has taken fire and smoke is in the air, so keep your head down or the smoke will kill you slowly(done with 3d floor and fog effect)...:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8619_n.jpg

An elevator will go up there (not finished yet). Again you have to keep your head down in this room but you´ll find a way to clean the air:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1475_n.jpg

The flare (missing actor here sry....) tells you someone else has been here already....
(the idea: finding a female helper marine named "crash"...you know her I think):
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7989_n.jpg

An entrance from outside the building into the ventilation system
(entrance and ladder fully made with 3d floors, you´ll find flares on top of the ventilation entrance):
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7410_n.jpg
WARCHILD_89

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:26 am

I got the whole map editing restarted and added some licence free textures:

The entryway of the water conditioning section so far, the only thing distrurbing me is, that dynamic lights are generally not blocked by walls, they are shining through them... :?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2929_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8661_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1414_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1700_n.jpg
WARCHILD_89

Postby Hellser » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm going to be sweet about this.

Not everyone likes Brutal Doom. You might like it. Your best friend might like it. But that doesn't mean that everyone likes it. This right here makes me want to AVOID your mod rather than play it. Make your map set for standard Doom and let the players choose what mod they desire to use (unless you plan to do something awesome like Demon Eclipse - which it seems you're not). Also, as people have said above, don't take the resources from Realm667 - bunch them all together and just credit Realm667. Do you think the people at Realm667 have either slaved over spriting, coding and lost many hours of sleep working on their monsters or weapon just so you can copy/paste without much thought as to who made it? Sure, the monsters and weapons at Realm667 is meant to help mappers with no knowledge of coding DECORATE, but what you're doing is wrong. Go through each readme.txt file of those 100/150 weapon / monsters that you've ripped and add them to your credit list.

Also, this:
downloading music from bands in youtube and using in the mod? If this is illegal, why is the LEGAL ADDON my Firefox uses to download from Youtube LEGAL then :?:

Really? First, the bands get a small percentage of money for every time you click on their link to see Slipknot or whatever nu-metal-doom-death-grunge band that you like today. You are essentially PAYING them by clicking on their videos. Also, some record labels doesn't like YouTube. Universal Music Group is one that comes into mind. However, you putting in YOUR favorite band music into a mod isn't paying them, it's also illegal since you are distributing music - something that they don't want you to do. (There are royalty free music you can get however, and even then, they have some rules too)

Two, with your latest screenshots. Okay, they look pretty decent. I don't like the blue-texture, or whatever that is. It doesn't work for Doom - as a good majority of us doesn't play with filters. Try to solve what everyone else here is near yelling at you about and you'll be good to go. :wink:
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Freya Mánibrandr » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:48 pm

I second the requirement of Brutal Doom, among other things to be the death of the mod for me. I did a zero-level wipe of Brutal Doom from my HD the other day, and I don't plan on getting Brutal Doom just for this. Secondly, there are plenty of free music out there that you can use. Archive.org is a good place to start, as well as OCRemix.org.

One more thing, DO convert to OGG format if you can, OGG format has better quality retention at 128 or lower kbps, while you'll need at least 160 kbps for good quality MP3s.
Freya Mánibrandr

Postby torridgristle » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:02 pm

ArcheKruz wrote:One more thing, DO convert to OGG format if you can, OGG format has better quality retention at 128 or lower kbps, while you'll need at least 160 kbps for good quality MP3s.

Mate sent me an 8kbps OGG one day and it blew my mind. It sounded dull but not garbled like an MP3.
torridgristle
Sprites will be 120% tall in the game.

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:31 pm

TO ALL OF YOU:

I already changed many things, and many things hopefully need not to be changed:

Music and sound effects will be self-done. EDIT: And sometimes there will be Soundtracks from other games, because this is allowed.

Maps will be done by myself, used ACS in maps will be done by myself (it´s a "learning by doing" thing...)

I already spend hours giving every monster a TID(example: Zombies go from 1600 to 16062 ),
I was checking them for errors(By doing this I started to understand how DECORATE works) and now I can use any monster and they finally work fine.
I sorted them by type (Cacos, Zombies, Animals, .....) and in Doombuilder you also got it sorted by type(by having used "$Category" .....).
Every monster is left in the original wad i downloaded including the names of those who made them.
Wan´t credits? Have a look into the .wad file and you´ll see the name of the author! Or is this still not enough? Let me know then...

Play it Brutal doom style or play it normal, you have the choice, so where´s your problem???
Just leave out the ketchuptest.pk3 and the brutal doom style blood will be completely missing....there will be only the original doom2 bloot splats....
Last edited by WARCHILD_89 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARCHILD_89

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:32 pm

and Ill convert it all to OGG that´s the really smallest problem
WARCHILD_89

Postby TheMightyHeracross » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Good, you're making an effort to improve unlike a certain person drspam who never listened to us. The only complaints we had about the music were the metal bands, anything else (like other games' OSTs) are OK.
TheMightyHeracross
...and remember: his silence is golden.

Discord: TheMightyHeracross#1716
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects