[HUGE UPDATE!] Doom II: Purgatory (v1.3)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SouthernLion

[HUGE UPDATE!] Doom II: Purgatory (v1.3)

Post by SouthernLion »

SITE LINK: http://nukeman.activebb.net/t1642-doom- ... e-released
DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1k37nnx1u ... y.rar/file
REQUIREMENTS: DOOM2.wad IWAD; OpenGL rendering such as GZDoom or Zandronum in OpenGL mode.

I've been working on this for a long time, (way too long. This would have taken you pros like a week, it's taken me 5 years.) It's basically just 9 levels for Doom II (8+1 secret level) designed to be played without jumping, classic Doom style. I don't even use Z-Look, ever (although that won't break the puzzles like jumping, just might be weird with the skybox.) Two "new" guns, and a new end boss, using various resources (Modified resources from Realm667 as well as Doom 64.) Of course there will be full credits are with the .wad, for every texture, etc. used. Doom 64 is my favorite Doom and had an influence on how I designed my maps and puzzles. Especially the hell ones. My personal favorite maps are MAP07 and MAP09. My (now late) wife and I provided the voice for the end boss.

(UPDATE!) - While trying to fix a bug in The Unmaker, I decided I should completely comb through the entire mapset and fix all kinds of bugs and balance problems. This is by far the largest update I ever did, I added memorial fountains for my late wife in all of the space levels, have The Unmaker functioning *exactly* how I want it to (shout out to TDRR and Gez for the help on that), got feedback and balance the best I could, fixed tons and tons of bugs, cleaned up the more "boring" areas, fixed up and re-balanced the final boss etc. This is likely the last update I will ever do to Purgatory, I am extremely satisfied with how it sits now. I hope you guys enjoy it!!

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:
UPDATES/RELEASE HISTORY:
Spoiler:

CREDITS/INFO:
Spoiler:
Last edited by SouthernLion on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Springy

Re: Doom II: Purgatory (88% Complete) (WIP)

Post by Springy »

Looks pretty good so far. I am personally not a fan of the DN64 shotgun look (never have been) but that's just my opinion. I'm also glad that (from the sounds of it) you haven't just dumped all of the R667 resources in and said "a completely brand new weapon set".
(way too long. This would have taken you pros like a week, it's taken me 5 years.)
I still have a couple of vanilla maps on here that aren't even completed (apart from a starting area and a couple of simple rooms) that are from around three years ago, so something like completing a set of two simple maps would have taken me around 5 years believe you and me.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Springy wrote:Looks pretty good so far. I am personally not a fan of the DN64 shotgun look (never have been) but that's just my opinion. I'm also glad that (from the sounds of it) you haven't just dumped all of the R667 resources in and said "a completely brand new weapon set".
(way too long. This would have taken you pros like a week, it's taken me 5 years.)
I still have a couple of vanilla maps on here that aren't even completed (apart from a starting area and a couple of simple rooms) that are from around three years ago, so something like completing a set of two simple maps would have taken me around 5 years believe you and me.
Haha, nice. Yeah, I just used sounds and sprites from Realm667, I redid the code from scratch mostly. I basically knew what I wanted already, and since I have very little spriting talent, had to go with edits of ones I could find that closest matched my plans (with full credit given as always.) There's only two guns and one new monster (the boss.)
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Going to run some cooperative tests (although it's mainly for single player) and then finish up MAP08 and give it to you all finished, my friends. So glad I'm almost finished with this damn thing, but it was a fun learning experience.
FireHusky

Post by FireHusky »

This looks cool! :)

One of the marble skull textures seems to be misaligned on the last snapshot to the right, though.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

FireHusky wrote:This looks cool! :)

One of the marble skull textures seems to be misaligned on the last snapshot to the right, though.
Bad camera angle. If you follow the crack in the ground it follows to the edge as a sort of detail.

I'm not the best at modern game detail in Doom, but I try lol
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: [WIP] Doom II: Purgatory (88% Complete)

Post by NightFright »

Maybe it is an idea worth considering to provide any custom HUD weapons in a separate WAD. People who don't mind having changed weapons in the game can load it along with the main WAD while others who prefer the "vanilla" look can stick to the original graphics by skipping the file.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Looks good, looking forward to it
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

NightFright wrote:Maybe it is an idea worth considering to provide any custom HUD weapons in a separate WAD. People who don't mind having changed weapons in the game can load it along with the main WAD while others who prefer the "vanilla" look can stick to the original graphics by skipping the file.
I can see what you're saying... but to be clear, it's a completely new gun. None of the old guns were replaced, it's just a different gun added in to the mix, so I don't think that really applies here.
Dynamo wrote:Looks good, looking forward to it
Awesome, can't wait to get it out and get your opinions.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

RexS wrote:I can see what you're saying... but to be clear, it's a completely new gun. None of the old guns were replaced, it's just a different gun added in to the mix, so I don't think that really applies here.
Well, in that case, just bring it. :P
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

NightFright wrote:
RexS wrote:I can see what you're saying... but to be clear, it's a completely new gun. None of the old guns were replaced, it's just a different gun added in to the mix, so I don't think that really applies here.
Well, in that case, just bring it. :P

Yes, sir!
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Boss is done. Just have to finish the map he goes in, and I should (hopefully) get this to you guys by Christmas.
SouthernLion

Re: [WIP] Doom II: Purgatory (99% Complete)

Post by SouthernLion »

Would anyone be interested in helping me bug/balance test this? It is 99% done, but I need help with balance test and bug test (from game breaking, to misaligned textures, to unachievable 100% scores). I would include your name in the associated .txt file if you would like as a thank you.
SouthernLion

Re: [RELEASED] Doom II: Purgatory

Post by SouthernLion »

And... finished!
SouthernLion

Re: [RELEASED] Doom II: Purgatory

Post by SouthernLion »

Enjoyed playing it so far with some buddies of mine in cooperative tests. I've gotten mixed feedback on the difficulty though. Some saying too easy, some saying too hard. I tried my best to make pacing fun and not just throwing a lot of monsters at the player in some fake attempt at difficulty though.

Return to “Levels”