[WIP] D00MCΞNTΞR·AИYWHΞRΞCITУ

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Does it lag for you?

Yay :[
49%
Nay :]
51%

Total votes: 69

Nash

Re: [WIP] DoomCenterAdvance2

Post by Nash »

Yeah I think the amount of work put into this is pretty darn impressive, it would be a shame to see this scrapped... I'd at least like to see it in a playable state. Good luck solving the performances issues, I hope you find a compromise somehow.

(I think you need to build more 1-sided line sky scrapers to partition the map... it's the only realistic sacrifice I can think of)
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Solid-Head wrote:Hey there ! First of all I must say that your map is amazing and look very faithful to the real GTA2 map (I use fly command to look at it at top down view :wub: )

Here's my spec : Geforce 8800GTX, 6 core 3.8, 4 Go RAM

The map run real smooth (60 FPS) most of the time...When I start looking up with free mouse look, it can drop to 45-50 FPS
When I'm on the edge and looking at the center, it drop to 30-35 FPS.
Considering that the map is very well detailed ( Thought a tad small), I most say that its really fine for me.

Considering the fact that I finish Planisf2.wad (Quite huge detail map,20 FPS in some area) , I really want to see one the full GTA2 map fully playable, but that's just wishful thinking :3: Seriously even if I want to see this project release so bad, I don't think you will be able to put such a large idea into one map for the sake of the game engine.
I don't think there is any script that can control on and off a dynamic light either (wich eat ALOT of FPS).
My guess it would be to work on what you have now, make it a tad bigger and optimise,optimise and re-optimise because you will need alot

Pls don't take it the wrong way, I love what you have so far and can't wait for update on it !! It would a shame to scrap all the hours you've put into this because you couldn't achieve our ultimate goal from the beginning! Take it as if you were one of the first PS1 game developer with HUGE idea but keep on constraint because of engine/hardware issue. With some work, I know you will be able to create something great in the end, even with the constraint !

Love the map, Its good! ... Can't wait to see some npc and car in action :D
Thanks for that sweet post, that really gives me motivation to go further. As for turning dynamic lights on and off: that's pretty easy clientside option to implement here.
P.S. Planisphere is gold stuff!
Captain J wrote:when i looked up or foward, very nay. but when i looked down, very yay. totally yay.

so i'd rather choose yay. :[
:[ . Well I guess there is zdoom CVAR that forces to dissalowfullpitch, so it will take software freelook dimensions to OpenGL. On the other hand, i'm very curious why lookdown lag happens!
Nash wrote:(I think you need to build more 1-sided line sky scrapers to partition the map... it's the only realistic sacrifice I can think of)
I tried to do so, that didn't help. You can manually do so in tech test to make sure.
LuSan

Post by LuSan »

This project is outstanding, good luck keeping up working on it, would be a shame if you stoped it's devolepment cause it is really impressive.
Btw I have it running between 20/30 fps on my 2ghz pentium aspire laptop :p
DudeDesigns

Post by DudeDesigns »

I imagine this along with that isometric camera addon might make for a pretty interesting mix. Can't wait to see more updates on it!
Clusterone666

Post by Clusterone666 »

Did a test run for you, played through it, only issue it really had (minus the fact that the sky was gone. xD) Was it would get a little laggy here and there. Nothing too bad, but I can see it getting worse with more stuff added.
Looking forward to this, and would love to help in any way I can. :)
By the way, this is insanely impressive!
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Clusterone666 wrote: the sky was gone. xD)
Clusterone666, Did you play it on Zandronum or GZDoom? Or both? It's important to know, I start to think that UDMF cannot handle big maps. I had this problem in the past with another project and it was not resolved. The sky was gone as well as some decorate actors, but only some of them.
I'd really like to have some comment from anyone who's busy with developing or UDMF itself. That would help a lot!
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

The sky disappears for me when I select Ultra-Violence. On Hurt Me Plenty, the sky seemed content to be. Seems totally absurd to me, unless perhaps you've accidentally limited some skybox-related thing on the map to certain difficulty settings.
snarkel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by snarkel »

Wow! for just 0.5% complete this is amazing and about the lag I ran pretty fine with the exception of around the diner. it lagged a little bit around there but other than that it was awesome :D .
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Zeberpal wrote:I start to think that UDMF cannot handle big maps.
ZDoom Community Map Project 2's map is a proof that it can (not that I personally think that a map format has anything to do with it, in the first place); it's 14 times bigger in area than your demo map. Sure it lags, but there were no weird glitches due to its gargantuan size (none that I'm aware of, at least).
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

SidDoyle wrote:The sky disappears for me when I select Ultra-Violence. On Hurt Me Plenty, the sky seemed content to be. Seems totally absurd to me, unless perhaps you've accidentally limited some skybox-related thing on the map to certain difficulty settings.
Thanks! Not that it showed what a noob I am, but fixed other maps of mine, which I had to convert to DiH..due to this. Image
Tormentor667

Re: [WIP] doomcenter: AnywhereCity

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:Image
That <3
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I tested this on Zandronum. This looks like it's turning out really neat. I do get some heavy lag (around 5-25 FPS, constant), but that's because of my junk computer. I think it'd be nice if the option to play in a software renderer was allowed, it's the only way I've been able to play most maps. Well, regardless, I think that this will be an excellent mod, everything seems to work perfectly. I really like how you're recreating the feel of GTA 2.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Abbuw, thanks! About software option, I believe this mod is about to be OGL only, due to 3dmodels. Though, I do plan to have a clientside option to turn on and off dynamic lights, as I said sometime earlier in this thread.
Xyplex

Post by Xyplex »

This looks very Promising
Nash

Post by Nash »

Who are all these people voting that this map doesn't lag? Man y'all better not complain when people start making huge and complex OpenGL-exclusive projects...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”