[WIP] D00MCΞNTΞR·AИYWHΞRΞCITУ

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Does it lag for you?

Yay :[
49%
Nay :]
51%

Total votes: 69

cortlong50

Re: [WIP] doomcenter: AnywhereCity

Post by cortlong50 »

That's awesome haha. All of what you said. Besides the sectors thing. It's hard to explain.

Anyway. It looks amazing.
If after you're done would I be able to put a random monster spawned on it for us single player lovers?
So monsters only spawn where you're at and like only spawn up to 200 at any given time. TO keep the frames smooth.
GhostKillahZero

Post by GhostKillahZero »

Most GTA games are usually in 3rd person view, I never played GTA2, So IDK if there is 1st Person ever used.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

GTA 1 and 2 are overhead view.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

cortlong50 wrote: If after you're done would I be able to put a random monster spawned on it for us single player lovers?
So monsters only spawn where you're at and like only spawn up to 200 at any given time. TO keep the frames smooth.
Monsters, huh? There wil be plenty of innocent citizens to waste instead, that was a plan. And yeah, I though to spawn them when player is nearby and fade them out when player is gone. Hope to make this trick online-compatible too.

And to make it clear - it'll be first person. It's still doomcenter, not gta.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Zeberpal wrote:
cortlong50 wrote: If after you're done would I be able to put a random monster spawned on it for us single player lovers?
Monsters, huh? There wil be plenty of innocent citizens to waste instead, that was a plan. And yeah, I though to spawn them when player is nearby and fade them out when player is gone. Hope to make this trick online-compatible too.

And to make it clear - it'll be first person. It's still doomcenter, not gta.

This.
If you do it you'll be terrier millionaire from modding video games.

Where can I did load the original doom center?
Gingerly ie been playing for like three years and I've never hrvrd of it
Zeberpal

Re: [WIP] DoomCenterAdvance2

Post by Zeberpal »

I did it again. I stoped working on map number two, because it was still laggy the way I was doing it.
Now, when I started working on map number three, I split whole city into areas. But even so I'm aware it's still laglaglag.
I want YOU to test it out, and see if it lags for you. Then please vote or post your opinion, or both.

Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Just tried it out and it ran fine. It was beyond playable, even if the framerate wasn't exactly as high as it usually is. I summoned a zombieman just for kicks and realized I was miniature XD. I had my suspicions (viewbob was insane, so I set it to '0.025' in the console). I noticed you don't have a sky texture in place, which is mildly disappointing.

Anyway, consider me a new follower of this project. I'd very much like to see this finished. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Voted "Yes". :(

Generally getting around 40 FPS on average while running around in this. However, standing at the edges of the map and looking into the center of the city so that most of the map is visible can drop my FPS all the way to 20'ish. Interestingly enough, turning off dynamic lights (in the OpenGL menu) will make my FPS jump from 20 to 40'ish... actually just having dynamic lights turned off provides a better average FPS while running around (50 to 60).

Splitting the map into smaller chunks does the make the city feel very small and fake. :( Is there a version with the entire city in 1 map? Would like to see how much FPS is murdered... :P

Also some minor issues:

1) Your custom HUD is not hud_scale 1 friendly. Solution: Explicitly set your HUD resolution so that hud_scale has no effect.
2) Same goes for on screen messages like the telephone conversations - they don't play well with con_scaletext 1 (which I use for normal Doom gameplay). Solution, again, is to explicitly set your font size using SetHudSize.
3) movebob is crazy at the default settings... unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do about this for now, unless ZDoom allows modder-definable movebob settings.

EDIT: My specs

Vista x64
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
3 GB DDR3 @ 1033 MHz
nvidia GTX 460
GZDoom gzdoom-G1.9pre-810-g86d9c7e

Ran with -noautoload
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Awesome map :D

I can't wait to see more :D
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

SidDoyle wrote:I noticed you don't have a sky texture in place, which is mildly disappointing.
Hmm, do you mean you're not able to see skybox at all, or you were dissapointed that I didn't make it as flat sky texture?
Nash wrote: Generally getting around 40 FPS on average while running around in this. However, standing at the edges of the map and looking into the center of the city so that most of the map is visible can drop my FPS all the way to 20'ish. Interestingly enough, turning off dynamic lights (in the OpenGL menu) will make my FPS jump from 20 to 40'ish... actually just having dynamic lights turned off provides a better average FPS while running around (50 to 60).

Splitting the map into smaller chunks does the make the city feel very small and fake. :( Is there a version with the entire city in 1 map? Would like to see how much FPS is murdered... :P

Also some minor issues:

1) Your custom HUD is not hud_scale 1 friendly. Solution: Explicitly set your HUD resolution so that hud_scale has no effect.
2) Same goes for on screen messages like the telephone conversations - they don't play well with con_scaletext 1 (which I use for normal Doom gameplay). Solution, again, is to explicitly set your font size using SetHudSize.
3) movebob is crazy at the default settings... unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do about this for now, unless ZDoom allows modder-definable movebob settings.
I have small lag while looking at the center as well. I noticed that happens because of number of dynlights. It would also be good for perfomance that lights would not fall on 3d floors.
I don't really like area-split idea, but I want to include dynlights no matter what. Also, previous version was ready on about 15 % without dynlights, and it was already hella laggy on my gtx720, 16gbram.
I can't release previous versions for different versions, main of which it'll take time to make it playable for people, since I used many other wad resources. I'm lazy to unite it all in one, atm.
As for issues:
1,2) I'll need some help with it in the future, but tbh, in zandronum nearly each mod force hud_scale 0.
3) I searched through the forum, and suprisingly found that viewbob is not adjustable for modders. I guess, I'll request it in Zandronum then, before they released 2.0.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I did not see any skybox or sky flat, only a HOM effect. I'm fairly certain I loaded this with the Doom 2 iwad and nothing else that should disrupt something like that. I was using a recent SVN build of GZDoom. If everyone else is seeing a sky, I'm not sure what went wrong on my end. :?
Nash

Post by Nash »

There is a sky, it's just a scrolling black starry night sky.
Solid-Head

Post by Solid-Head »

Hey there ! First of all I must say that your map is amazing and look very faithful to the real GTA2 map (I use fly command to look at it at top down view :wub: )

Here's my spec : Geforce 8800GTX, 6 core 3.8, 4 Go RAM

The map run real smooth (60 FPS) most of the time...When I start looking up with free mouse look, it can drop to 45-50 FPS
When I'm on the edge and looking at the center, it drop to 30-35 FPS.
Considering that the map is very well detailed ( Thought a tad small), I most say that its really fine for me.

Considering the fact that I finish Planisf2.wad (Quite huge detail map,20 FPS in some area) , I really want to see one the full GTA2 map fully playable, but that's just wishful thinking :3: Seriously even if I want to see this project release so bad, I don't think you will be able to put such a large idea into one map for the sake of the game engine.
I don't think there is any script that can control on and off a dynamic light either (wich eat ALOT of FPS).
My guess it would be to work on what you have now, make it a tad bigger and optimise,optimise and re-optimise because you will need alot

Pls don't take it the wrong way, I love what you have so far and can't wait for update on it !! It would a shame to scrap all the hours you've put into this because you couldn't achieve our ultimate goal from the beginning! Take it as if you were one of the first PS1 game developer with HUGE idea but keep on constraint because of engine/hardware issue. With some work, I know you will be able to create something great in the end, even with the constraint !

Love the map, Its good! ... Can't wait to see some npc and car in action :D
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Huh. Playing it again reveals said night sky. No idea what went wrong the first time. Much nicer. :)

EDIT: Played with vid_fps 1 to see what the damage was. Standing in the corner and facing the district, I saw my FPS drop to about 33, occasionally dipping as low as 29 -- still quite playable, if not smooth. Of course, in many instances the fps would jump to 60+ (or even 300+ but that's usually near an outside wall and facing it). Here's something strange, though: my FPS drops as I look down. Is this possibly related to being miniature, do you suppose?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

when i looked up or foward, very nay. but when i looked down, very yay. totally yay.

so i'd rather choose yay. :[

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”