[WIP] D00MCΞNTΞR·AИYWHΞRΞCITУ

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Does it lag for you?

Yay :[
49%
Nay :]
51%

Total votes: 69

Zeberpal

Re: [WIP] doomcenter: AnywhereCity

Post by Zeberpal »

That screenie is from the previous project, I just wanted to show that pre-cache does not help with big imagesThat wheel is 1500x1500. That map has nothing to do with ACDC DCAC.
Arch wrote:About the lag, the main cause is probably that this area is too open and GZDoom has to render everything at the same time. I believe dynamic light is second place.
That's correct. I still wonder which texturing method is reasonable in this case.
I have a feeling there ia a big difference between 1texture file and separated 19 in context of lag perfomance
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Here, what really lags are the sectors, I can put 20 or 30 dynamic lights on a sector and it will be playable, but do some 3D floors, plus a open area bam, lag.

like on cursed maze, before the maze wasn't 100% closes, there was a little space at the ceiling, result:20fps.
I just decided to close all the ceilings and boom:200fps xD
Wow 1,5kx1,5k O_O It still less big than my floor texture on a dead map xD (3mb of texture D:)

the only bad part about put all the textures on a single file is, you'll have alot of work D:

But I still think your problem is the same as zm02 from zombie horde xD (A big open area + 3D floors)...
About dynamic light lag, it's easy to check, just disable the dynamic light and compare the fps with on and off, if you win 20fps, you could maybe reduce the number :s
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

You could always just replace the dynamic lights with shifts in the sector lighting. Just have circular sectors that stay lit to represent street lights. Think that might help?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Speaking as a GTA2 nut, I won't even mind if you have to toss the day/night cycle to make the sector lights work; I loved setting the city to be permanently night time, just as long as the traffic lights cast dynamic lights.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

wildweasel wrote:Speaking as a GTA2 nut, I won't even mind if you have to toss the day/night cycle to make the sector lights work; I loved setting the city to be permanently night time, just as long as the traffic lights cast dynamic lights.
Would not having a day/night cycle really make a difference in the framerate if it'll still be full of dynamic lights? I can't imagine a script that periodically changes the lighting levels is that much of a strain in comparison.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'd just imagine that setting all the sector lights would be a big pain to script.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Not that much, really. From an older thread about day/night cycles:
Arch wrote:I believe this could be done like this:
Spoiler:
In this case every sector with tag below 100 will fade to brightness 80 in 9900 tics, and sky will change after that. Use tags above 100 for your inside sectors. Of course this number is not fixed, adjust the second line of the script as you want.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Would be interesting to see how well my weather system would integrate into this mapset.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Nash wrote:Would be interesting to see how well my weather system would integrate into this mapset.
hmm, your weather system is static or dynamic(like it don't need to edit the map to make it work, just an drag and drop acs)?

But I think it's better off the wather, that things eat like 10 - 20fps , plus 30fps from the game it may be unplayable D:

edit: but the old doomcenter have a day/night system xD, so I think it'll be on this version...
Nash

Post by Nash »

It requires map editing because of the skybox. It's not possible in ZDoom to merge geometry from 2 different maps/WADs in real-time.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

If you need help with vehicles, I think I can help you. This bike can be easily modified to be a car, truck, van, etc. I am also working in a Tank that will work just like Battlefield's one.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:video
Oh my.. that is some awesome epic piece of work there! Even handling sprites are smooth. I'll be sure to use this as a basic driving model in the future.. if you don't mind ofcourse.
MetroidJunkie, wildweasel ,Arch, Nash, ibm5155 wrote:posts about weather, day/night cycle
I thought of making permanent day/night cycle for all players. Those with lags will have no dynamic lights, but more perceptible brightness level change(map) and probably those sectors where dynamic lights were supposed to be. However, with dynlights or without them I don't see the difference in perfomance. I'm just saying.Which is good. I can also understand wildweasel's point about the city's atmosphere at night time, I personally think it'll be too flatly. What if daytime would always have some kind of strange feeling like here or here to fit the setting?
On the other note 1texture method is better. Separated textures over a bulding caused much more lags indeed.
Nash wrote:It requires map editing because of the skybox. It's not possible in ZDoom to merge geometry from 2 different maps/WADs in real-time.
Skybox is a must be, to make sky look dynamic of some sort(flying planes, clouds and fog, sun moving from east to west, rain(because rain on a city map causes increadable lag, tested), etc).
Good news I just noticed that city is around 20% made(compared to original map),and 1% of overall progress.
EDIT: or if I use A_LookEx to toggle on only certain dynlights near player?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

i say, it's amazing. can't wait for multiplay-mized gameplays and getting chasing by cops and FBIs if goes worse.
Doorhenge

Post by Doorhenge »

Looks good!
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

It's been a while, and I bump this thread just to say it's not dead.

I understand Level1 is the main and primary map why people know GTA2. However, I came with idea to abort making Downtown area map for now and switch on to level2: Residental Area
First of all
1) Downtown is nothing but plain buildings with a plain layout and nothing but that. I hate to waste time doing this. Also, Residental Area (and Industrial) has a cyberpunk feeling I want to achieve.
2) Since this mod is mostly for multiplayer fun ( and there is GTA2 for single) Residental map is just a way better for that with it's layout.
3) Somewhow this Area is much easier to make. I messed up first level with a wrong way of mapping, which cause lags ingame.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”