[WIP] D00MCΞNTΞR·AИYWHΞRΞCITУ

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Does it lag for you?

Yay :[
49%
Nay :]
51%

Total votes: 69

daimon

Re: [WIP] doomcenter: AnywhereCity

Post by daimon »

i see awesomeness here!
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Wow! That's really some great progress over the original Doomcenter.

I just really hope that you will improve the driving mechanics.
I was thinking about trying to make a more realistic bike/car script myself. Have you tried something yet?
Sgt Dopey
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sgt Dopey »

This looks awesome, are you going to include a day night cycle? And will the lighting be sector based or dynamic lights?
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Looks great so far, GTA2 was always one of my favorites (and perhaps the most underrated of the series). Only thing I wanted to point out was:
Zeberpal wrote:If Doorhenge don't mind
Doomcenter was actually a project I was doing on an on-and-off basis years ago, starting on ZDaemon as a simple bowling alley, and then turned into ZDCenter. After a couple years of work, I met Doorhenge in a zblud server - seemed like a nice enough guy and he was good with decorate stuff, so after a while I asked him if he wanted to do Decorate stuff for it. He agreed, we turned it into Doomcenter with myself doing the mapping and him doing the decorate... and then when i was taking an away period, he kinda hijacked the project without my permission (if you look in the credits file, you can see my name as a measly little mention under 'special thanks' as 'for starting this') and kinda bloated it to heck. After that, it pretty much just branched out further from there.

But eh, what's done is done. If it's anything to ya though, you're more then welcome to use any of my old stuff from it, and I'd be more than happy to help out on the graphics/sprites front if need be. :)
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

ibm5155
oh, well, what can I say, thank you!
However, Wad'a'holic treats his projects with more attention than me, even made a texture program for TC. It's something I should learn from him.
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:I just really hope that you will improve the driving mechanics.
I was thinking about trying to make a more realistic bike/car script myself. Have you tried something yet?
I haven't tried yet
If I'll have a complete layout it'll be pretty much an accelerator for me to start hard coding. Even though I'm bad at it.
So I'm all focused on actual mapping for now. It's the most routine and hard work here.
Therefore, I can't even think of a way to make a sensitive driving mechanic in doom to be honest.
Sgt Dopey wrote:are you going to include a day night cycle? And will the lighting be sector based or dynamic lights?
I thought to give player a choice, to play with day night cycle or with just a daytime.
It all comes to lags again. Dynamic lights(at night) slow down fps pretty much. Players with slow PC could use a simple version with daytime only, to avoid unnecessary lags.
What's your opinion about it?
Mike12 wrote:Looks great so far, GTA2 was always one of my favorites (and perhaps the most underrated of the series). Only thing I wanted to point out was:
Zeberpal wrote:If Doorhenge don't mind
Doomcenter was actually a project I was doing on an on-and-off basis years ago, starting on ZDaemon as a simple bowling alley, and then turned into ZDCenter. After a couple years of work, I met Doorhenge in a zblud server - seemed like a nice enough guy and he was good with decorate stuff, so after a while I asked him if he wanted to do Decorate stuff for it. He agreed, we turned it into Doomcenter with myself doing the mapping and him doing the decorate... and then when i was taking an away period, he kinda hijacked the project without my permission (if you look in the credits file, you can see my name as a measly little mention under 'special thanks' as 'for starting this') and kinda bloated it to heck. After that, it pretty much just branched out further from there.

But eh, what's done is done. If it's anything to ya though, you're more then welcome to use any of my old stuff from it, and I'd be more than happy to help out on the graphics/sprites front if need be. :)
Oh, I didn't know that! I'll be sure to put you in primary credits in this case to make it fair
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Zeberpal wrote:Oh, I didn't know that! I'll be sure to put you in primary credits in this case to make it fair
Sounds good! His questionable behavior aside, Doorhenge did do most of the decorate work so he should probably be credited for that stuff if you use any of it (I say 'probably' because I'm not sure who did what in the later branch-out versions and the other additions.)
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

You gotta be kidding m- BEST IDEA EVER

I knew having a GTA2 themed signature would have paid off
Taggart

Post by Taggart »

My God..... incredible! This looks great :D

I'll be keeping a close on this indeed
ultimategamerxtreme

Post by ultimategamerxtreme »

I actually mistaken that for an official GTA map.
looks pretty good!
Can't wait 2 see more!
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

O wait really is that you zeberpal?
I knew it was too good xD.
First, the epic return to torn city, now gta 2, next what? crysis tc? D:

Also, rip sargeant mark iv or the doomcenter bike and put there :D

EDIT:for now, I see sargean mark IV bike and wad'a'holic robot that you can see the sprite turning left and right.

I really don't think it would be hard, just like ravishing xD, the decorate calls maybe 3 or 4 scripts to check what animaion it should do, and other to make the bike sound plus the last one to control the bike (speed, camera angle,...)
Just like ravishing on zandronum xD (but it's a monster and there, it would be your "gun" xD)
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Holy. Shit.
This looks awesome!

-TZK
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Dynamo wrote:I knew having a GTA2 themed signature would have paid off
How did you...
Well GTAV and your signature (saw it inQuake1stuff thread) made me start this thread indeed o.o
ibm5155 wrote: First, the epic return to torn city, now gta 2, next what?
extravagant WDI mappack still get complaints of lag, even though I personally never had any. I can imagine how many negative replies there'll be, once this project is finished.
ibm5155 wrote: Also, rip sargeant mark iv or the doomcenter bike and put there :D
That bike looks impressive indeed. I believe it has to do something with spamming SetActorAngle command if there is no KEYCONF force. According to video SergeantMarkIV is making a new D2 remake map ( like a Neighborhood from Hell), and bike is going to be a way to ride through location. I'll refrain from forecast, but I look forward for some kind of cooperation on driving mechanics in the future. However, overall DCAC progress does not allow to make any steps in this direction YET.

I also plan to make walls (and enviroment actors) to be responsive if car hits them. Meaning that you can crash your car easily.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is something bothers me.
Here is a texture/s for a one of 350 buldings i've been creating from tiles. (not full scaled)
Image merged version of the texture. 1 file

Image, etc... separated parts of that bulding texture. 19 files.

A question to people who know about zdoom specificity: Which method of texturing is more progressive/less laggy?
Somehow I think 1 file is better. Even if image is big, it insta loads.
Spoiler: However game freezes for a few tics, and I had similar problem before with this ferris wheel
While every other textures load up only in a progress of discovering city. Is that right?
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

hmm and active pre-cache texture on doesn't help?
well, I think your lag problem is related to a big and detailed open area? I never got a texture lag there :s

EDIT: on the same pic i got 28fps with radial fog and 39fps with no fog (I normaly play with no fog because my intel hd3000 really lags on fog D:)
Arch

Post by Arch »

That screenshot! Pure awesomeness.

About the lag, the main cause is probably that this area is too open and GZDoom has to render everything at the same time. I believe dynamic light is second place. Especially if they are not static. I had to replace glowing lights with static lights because they really decreased frame rate.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Yeah, GZDoom tends to choke when there's no one-sided lines to break things up.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”