[WIP] D00MCΞNTΞR·AИYWHΞRΞCITУ

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Does it lag for you?

Yay :[
49%
Nay :]
51%

Total votes: 69

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] doomcenter: AnywhereCity

Post by Captain J »

Zeberpal wrote:It's been a while, and I bump this thread just to say it's not dead.

I understand Level1 is the main and primary map why people know GTA2. However, I came with idea to abort making Downtown area map for now and switch on to level2: Residental Area
First of all
1) Downtown is nothing but plain buildings with a plain layout and nothing but that. I hate to waste time doing this. Also, Residental Area (and Industrial) has a cyberpunk feeling I want to achieve.
2) Since this mod is mostly for multiplayer fun ( and there is GTA2 for single) Residental map is just a way better for that with it's layout.
3) Somewhow this Area is much easier to make. I messed up first level with a wrong way of mapping, which cause lags ingame.

now this is seems really good detailed also large! and it would be hilarious if you're put one or two easter eggs on this map.
Arch

Post by Arch »

Looking amazing. I think residential area also offers more variety, good choice! And the industrial area also resembles downtown, I think GTA fans won't be disappointed. Some trailers on that ranch area would be very GTA-ish.

Those downtown screenies were lookin so good, it must require some cold blood to drop out such amount of work. Please don't start it all over again, I want to see this finished! :mrgreen:
SlapTheFish

Post by SlapTheFish »

You heard of AC/DC? Well, this is DC/AC!
Looks awesome! :D Great job and good luck!
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

I'm on the crossroads, not literally.
I probably wouldn't make a post but it bugs me for a week.
Once again I stoped working on a new map, for the same reason as before. Now as I advanced making map it started lag insensibly until I finally noticed it. And that's just about 20% made. :?
Before I completely abandon this project, it would be nice if you guys would help me with these questions: (if somebody knows)

1) Is it technically possible to make some kind of a draw distance fog for zdoom engine? Sandbox games seems to do that to avoid lag.
2) Create 3d floor via ACS command? They are also a problem, and I though it would be reasonable to "create" them, when the player is near 3d floor tag sector, and remove them when he is far from 3d floor.

If there is no solution, here is approximate system requirements for mod: 32 gbram, i7 and so on, you got the idea. I just don't want to waste any more time on something what will not be played, unfortunatelly.
Leonard2

Post by Leonard2 »

Zeberpal wrote:2) Create 3d floor via ACS command? They are also a problem, and I though it would be reasonable to "create" them, when the player is near 3d floor tag sector, and remove them when he is far from 3d floor.
You can't create 3D floors on the fly however you could do an instant raise/lower to hide/show a 3D floor.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

the only way to reduce drawn sectors is by using 1-sided lines but then you'd have a noticeable wall in some areas, Unless you build it up to look like skyscrapers or something.
Nash

Post by Nash »

You have to incorporate structures made out of 1-sided lines to reduce the line of sight calculations, otherwise it's just going to be very, very slow. Doom engine limitation.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Captain J

Post by Captain J »

but having a bad time with leg, i'm ready for this now. also having a rainbow vomit what enjay posted before.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

It might be stupid, but I avoided making 1-sided buildings so hard just for the city to be an exact copy from the game, besides I wanted to let player land anywhere he wants. Wellp, I guess I have no other choice, let's see if "skyscrapers" will work it out.
Ok, it's time to leave this page at the bottom of the Projects section, and wait for a new bump. Let's hope it'll be an awesome one.
Thank you for support!
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

my brain just went what in the fuck?
how well is this going to run? because ive noticed big maps are a bummer hahaha.
you ever think of running it in sections at a time? or anything like that.
i am so stoked, but my computer is so not good.
how many frames do you get a second on gzdoom?

also, is this going to be first person or is it going to be gta2 on zdoom?
Last edited by cortlong50 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Enjay wrote:Image
i concur.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

i hope you less abuse the double post unless show something or news that very important, please. least you can edit your posts for additional words 'n replies.
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Holly cawabonga :D Another one i'll have to add to my "must follow" list. That list is getting full but don't worry i can add other pages :lol:
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

cortlong50 wrote: how well is this going to run? because ive noticed big maps are a bummer hahaha.
No idea, really. I do everything possible to make it run smooth. Yet, solid hardware would still be nice. [that feeling when you can't run doom engine on a modern pc]
cortlong50 wrote:you ever think of running it in sections at a time? or anything like that.
Sorry, no idea, what do you mean :(
cortlong50 wrote:how many frames do you get a second on gzdoom?
It run smooth for me, 60 fps. But it's just 20% done.

cortlong50 wrote:also, is this going to be first person or is it going to be gta2 on zdoom?
There is GTA2 for topview, otherwise it would be ZdoomTheftAuto2 :> Also, this is Zandronum orientated mod. Freeroam cooperative, DM, LMS, CTF(copsvsrobbers), domination, possession, probably AOW2 support, we'll see.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”