[Update] The Guncaster - 2.8a, all glory be

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Update] The Guncaster - 2.8a, all glory be

Postby PillowBlaster » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:54 pm

that's some overblown logo.

If you have problems with the mod, try using this version. I don't guarantee the beta builds will work correctly with things these days due to the nature of huge changes in the ports, and I don't have time or will to keep it up to date these days. That may change once I'll get into zscript.

If you want to use the mod's contents or create something based on it, or anything like that - check the attached text file, or read it here.

Latest version stuff
Apply pressure on the left mouse button against this link for download!, and remember, if it's shouting out errors of any sorts, it means you're most likely using a version of gzdoom that doesn't support it. Get it here! However, if the game still bursts out an error that complains about OpenGL 3.x or something, it means your graphics card doesn't support it... Yeah, don't look at me like that, maybe doom is old, but the source port isn't. Speaking of that, while you won't squeeze everything out of the mod in such setup, as it was primarily designed and being made under GL mode, you can still use regular zdoom beta builds to handle it. Just bear in mind that things won't look as pretty in software mode.

Older stuff
1.2 version
1.2 doom patch
alpha

Important Notes:
- This mod works under GZDoom, with a handful of games - Doom, Heretic and Hexen. Everything else is not guaranteed to work.
- Remember to bind some stuff in the options that you might find handy to make full use of what this mod offers!

HEY, YOU! ARE YOU ABOUT TO REPORT THE BUGS ABOUT THE SHOP/SPELL/STRAT WHEEL!?
I am fully aware that things aren't exactly fully working there or working as expected. It's just a bit outdated from the time it got invented, a lot of new things got pasted on top of it, and it's... well, generally it wasn't prepared to become something as big as it is today. And it can't be really fixed in such state, so it needs a rewrite. It is under rehaul right now, but it might not happen anytime soon as it's done by someone who does that in his spare time, and even when it's gonna get done, it will still need a lot of editing and work from me to look like a real deal again, and it'll require accomodating for eventual things that will surely spring outta nowhere, so please bear with it.

Screenshots! a little outdated
http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/Magban724/library/Guncaster_Screenshots

Gallery of random stuff from the mod's development or around it.
Before you'd get a brilliant idea to salvage any of it for your own, evil deeds like a mod or edits, I guess It'd be really, really nice if I was asked first - just because it isn't used for now, it doesn't mean it's free to be pilfered. But since I know no one's gonna bother anyway, and you all are already drooling over those unused Longhorn variations or the Quadshot, please remember to credit DoomNukem if you'd use previous weapon sprites in any way. For anything else, just ask me.

A video or something!

More vids!
Spoiler:

Your personal guide through mod contents!
Spoiler:

The lore!
As the dimensional mess, caused by by the serpent riders started to take its toll, the universes began to crumble under the pressure of chaos sphere. Anomalies were a common bread, and things started to be really ugly. From one of the worlds which received such treatment comes the mod's protagonist - Cygnis Flaynithere. A bit crazed hero-wannabe, who's also far from being a human. A skillful gunslinger which actually hates magic, as it's the cause of all of the mess he was thrown into. Still, he doesn't mind using it to get the job done. What kind of job, you may ask? That'd be kicking D'Sparil's ass, of course!

The Gimmicks!
Aka what this atrocity has to offer.

Fuck the intended route - I'll go my own way!
-Main character isn't your average elven avenger, he can traverse maps in a much more light-hearted way. What are you waiting for? Break the shit out of them!.. Or don't. Your choice, after all.

Balance? Yeah, it has some... balance. Some.
-Fully replaced arsenal with a large spice of Overkill! You can expect slight deviations on the classic armoury in the form of twin-barreled auto shotgun, huge-ass revolver, handheld-chaingun... and to end with a bang - a bigass cousin of the BFG - the "Old Dreadful"!

Over the missiles through the firewalls, look out for me - here I come.
-A little collection of spells, which you can buy by blasting enough critters into submission, and stealing their pennies! Some of them are homages (total ripoffs), some may surprise you, and some are just alternate takes on classics.

That book rotates in midair, and looks evil like hell... it must be damn useful!
-Such load of stuff doesn't mean that good, ol' tome of power went to dust, no no! It still your boosts magical powers to sometimes completely different effects, or simply amps the spell's usual power to some ludicrous levels. See for yourself!

Why it's so hard to kill! GAAAH-... wait, now it died in two shots.
-Monsters can be resistant to some spells, while others can do humongous damage to them. Iron lich can't be even scratched by ravens, but lightning shall toast him in a pinch. Experiment with your abilities to master the carnage! (Not that it makes any difference, considering that you mostly hammer anything in your way with ease.)

"...I've had yet met someone who could outsmart a bullet."
-Hitscanners can get nasty at times, especially when all you got is little to no cover, and all the space the world has to offer. For such occasions, Cyg has an ability to evade bullets, rending them much less of a threat, as long as you can master run'n'gunning. The higher 'running wild' meter, the less damage he receives from hitscan attacks. The bar loads as long as you maintain the top running speed, and it starts to diminish almost immediately once you start losing it. (The bar isn't present in Heretic and Hexen, as there's no hitscanners there.)

Environmental damage gains whole new meaning!
-Some of the spells get affected by environment. You can supercharge the lightning by hitting the water with it. Or supercharge the ice ball by bouncing it off icy floors, or make it explode way more violently by throwing it on lava... (This supposed to be a bigger thing than it currently is, but I kinda ran out of ideas and motivation to expand upon this idea.)

The Almighty FAQ!
What to do in case it doesn't work, or you want to get into the developer's pants. (Not really, don't think too heavily about it.)

Why the mod's ain't working? I get weird errors, and such.
There are many possibilities. Your autoload config may have something that confuses the port. You might not loaded it in correct order with whatever else you wanted to try it out with. Or, the most likeable option that occurs the most - you are using a gzdoom version that doesn't support it.

The mod's HUD doesn't seem to be what I expected it to be. Is it included with the mod?
Yes, it is. Press + or - on your keyboard to achieve desired HUD. If that doesn't work for some reason: goto options -> display options -> screen size slider, set it to 11.

The HUD and the shop text appears incredibly tiny on my huge screen!
For the first, you might wanna try typing in console HUD_Scale 1, or goto options -> HUD options -> set stretch fullscreen HUD to "on".
For the latter, goto options -> HUD options -> message options -> set scale text in high res to either "double" or "on", depending what works better for you. I don't know the console command for that one.

I've had seen so many cool things in the trailers and such, how do I use them?
Everything, or at least everything that I didn't forget about is listed in the OP, just read through the thing, it should help you get the mod's nuisances. And remember to bind some buttons, it might give you some more ideas!
Last edited by PillowBlaster on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 54 times in total.
PillowBlaster

Re: [WIP] The Guncaster

Postby Cardboard Marty » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:00 pm

This looks entirely way too awesome and I'm glad to be a part of it! Spectacular work as always!
Cardboard Marty
"WHAT??? YOU are telling me the guy just updates when ever he wants?"

Discord: #0254

Postby Jinal » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Bioshock Infinite style Vigors I presume?
Jinal
Banned User

Postby Ribo Zurai » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:34 pm

No words needed, this is pure brillance at it's finest! :D
Ribo Zurai

Postby ArielBoss » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:40 pm

This gameplay looks amazing,we have some realize date?
ArielBoss
"Free hugs"

Postby Glaice » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:03 pm

What is the music used in the teaser video?
Glaice
No longer supports Brutal Doom

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Wow, so many awesome weapon packs have been announced lately, it's great!
Sgt. Shivers
Call Apogee, Say AARDWOLF!

Postby Ghastly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Why do people keep putting guns in Heretic, specifically?
Ghastly
Rather ghastly

Postby Eric_ » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:38 pm

It's like some bizarre mixture of Russian Overkill and Psychic.

I love it.
Eric_
we just don't know.

Postby Marrub » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:12 am

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Why do people keep putting guns in Heretic, specifically?

They fit in a strange way. Think Army of Darkness.
Marrub
Secreta In Exile

Discord: Marrub#5455

Postby DoomNukem » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:13 am

finally a thread!, real awesome stuff, hadn't played heretic before giving this a burl and it's a heap of fun, the second menu needs to be a wee bit more intuitive as it took me a little while to figure out that I could navigate to a second menu.
DoomNukem
You're already bread.

Postby XutaWoo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:32 am

This reminds me of Psychic combined with Super Chicken.

This is an awesome thing.
XutaWoo
one day when going to see the rabbit, there was a previous visitor ...

Postby MarisaKirisame » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:08 am

Looks delicious.
MarisaKirisame
Ordinary Magician

Postby Xaser » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:16 am

Psychic Overkill. :P

Seriously looks good, though. Major ridiculous props for including acid a la Will Rock. :P
Xaser
autodefenestrator

Postby Nightfall » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:29 pm

About time enemies actually die when I shoot them.
Nightfall

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods