Taggart Difficulty Mod v1.9.5, Released!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Taggart

Taggart Difficulty Mod v1.9.5, Released!

Post by Taggart »

Version 1.9.5 Released!

After a long time (life and stuff), I've released the next version. I've removed all the enhancements to the mod (shell casings, blood effects, etc.), as they were starting to annoy me, and I felt like I was being unoriginal. So, the enhancements are no longer a feature. The file size is down too, because of that. The only feature I haven't implemented yet is the variants for the Double Chaingunner. As always, constructive criticism welcome, and enjoy the mod. Feel free to give me suggestions, as after this the only thing I need to do is graphic work on sprites.

I'd beaten both all original DooM IWADs using the Hard Doom mod and I have to say it was a blast. I always found that there wasn't enough of the original DooM content in the mod. It was DooM, but not DooM. So, I'm taking a different approach. The same monsters, different taste of Hell.

Link:
DropBox
ModDB

Full Feature List:
Spoiler:
Screenshots
Spoiler:
Last edited by Taggart on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 59 times in total.
Mav3rick

Re: Classic Difficulty Mod

Post by Mav3rick »

and what are the good points for the player? because to be honest you are almost killing the player from the starting point ¬¬
if the level is on lava, poison, etc and you short the time of radiation suit yet made monster more hard to kill.. will i ever past that level? oh and i forgot even i dont take damage my life will be going to hell too??

dont sound very solid to be honest and is my opinion ;)
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Hello!
Please refer to the project posting guidelines. Especially please refer to this section:
2) Just to clarify from the above rule: you need to post screenshots! If a project thread is posted without screenshots, we'll give you 24 hours to get them added, or else your project thread is going to get locked. Not everybody wants to download a large-ish WAD file and puzzle over what exactly is changed, so it helps to show people what it looks like without making them read a wall of text or download a file and be surprised. The only exception is if the mod has already been released in the thread's first post, at which point screenshots are merely suggested, not required.
I know the nature of your project is probably difficult to make it screenshot-able, but even something as simple as one of the new attacks in action would be neat.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Taggart wrote: ITEMS
-Shotgun Guy sometimes drops shells instead of shotgun
-Chaingun Guy sometimes drops clip instead of Chaingun
-Sometimes Zombies don't drop ammo or weapons at all
Stop. Right. There. This is a bad idea as this will cause any map that relies on killing your way to better weapons to rely on RNG.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

The HP drain sounds a little harsh as well, especially on maps that don't have a lot of healing items. Or is this mostly just intended for a Doom 1/2 vanilla run?
Taggart

Post by Taggart »

Well none of it is really set in stone lol after some thought I'm gonna go without the health drain, or at least allow the player to choose between health drain and no health drain before starting a new game.

As far as the durations of some of the items Radiation Suit would be a good one to keep vanilla, I will give you that. As far as item drops with monsters I may, again, allow the player to disable the feature before starting a new game, thus the player won't be able to disable it as it suits them. I will, however, make it to where the items always drop. After testing this I found it a major cockblock to gameplay when they didn't appear at all. A shortage of ammo, in my observations anyway, is part of the difficulty on some of these megawads and projects, most notably Hell Revealed

Screenshots go up tomorrow. Too dang tired to do it right now lol
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I could see it maybe working for nightmare, though you'd have to tweak the other parts of the difficulty to keep it from being too impossible.
Taggart

Post by Taggart »

Nightmare is enough of a bitch the way it is lol No more drain on nightmare
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'd suggest keeping the power-ups untouched:
  • Berserk: This is the only reason why would anyone bother using the fist, to begin with. And on hard maps, one won't bother with it even if it had a whole-level duration.
  • Invulnerability: It's the power-up with the shortest duration of 30 seconds. In modern WADs, the invulnerability sphere is extremely rare to the point that if you see one, you should expect a very tough battle coming up (seeing one is practically an omen), and you probably need all of those 30 seconds.
  • Partial Invisibility: It might not be the most useful power-up, but it's probably the best thing after the invulnerability sphere to fend off those horrible hitscanners to some extent.
Taggart

Re: Classic Difficulty Mod, Screenshots Up

Post by Taggart »

Valid points. I'll make the changes, but as far as the berserk goes I had the idea because I noticed some mappers using the berserk as an instant 100% health in the harder levels. And being as the ability to smash shit to pieces is really only used in the earlier levels my change would make sense. But, you're right it is really one of the only reasons for using fists at all.

And I got a couple screenshots up. I'll try to take screenshots of changes best as I can, but most of it will be textual changes that can't really be reflected in a screenshot. Nonetheless, enjoy
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

The health drain will make some maps where you pass across some 10/20% damaging floors without a radsuit impossible and the weapon for ammo RNG for the zombies is a very bad idea, consider those monsters dropping ammo AND their weapon.
Taggart

Post by Taggart »

As far as ammo drops it would really depend on how you did it. I can see your point, but others may not agree. Thus the reason why you don't have to do it. I know I like the idea, so whose to say others won't agree? With a random spawner I could modify the odds on the lesser drops. I've seen plenty of tactics about ammo conservation. Most of it choosing the right weapon for the right situation (Using a chainsaw on a pinkies instead of a SSG almost exclusively, for instance). The point of a difficulty mod to get the player to adapt, but that's just my take on it

In any case, before this turns into a screaming match or something :D , the idea is to make this amiable and flexible for as many players as possible while still making it tough
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Taggart wrote:The point of a difficulty mod to get the player to adapt, but that's just my take on it
I agree, but you can't "adapt" to the game randomly deciding "nope sorry you don't get any guns or ammo today". Take a look at this to see a more extreme example (3 player classes with loads of different weapons each; good luck finding a usable shotgun!).
Clusterone666

Post by Clusterone666 »

With the shotgun guy, maybe have him carry the double barrel shotgun? I was thinking about this today, but every shotgun zombie has the normal shotgun, none have the double barrel.
Taggart

Re: Taggart Difficulty Mod, V1.4 RELEASED

Post by Taggart »

Got v1.4 up! I've also thrown in a few enhancements from a personal enhancement mod of mine. As always feel free to post up an suggestions :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”